Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
That’s a stretch to try to argue. Anybody will say Google Search is “the one” yet they have to pay Apple lum sum for a privilege on iPhone while on AI people actually know more about ChatGPT than “Gemini”.
And why Apple can’t work with Microsoft? Of course they can & Microsoft would love it.
Google is the second tier here while they are the first tier in search. I’d imagine they have to pay much more.
The idea is that Google Search being the default search engine on iOS makes Google a lot of money and helps them dominate the internet ad business while here in this case it would cost them a lot of money to allow Apple to use Gemeni so it's makes no sense for them to pay apple just to lose money(also I doubt it's legal in the first place).
Microsoft would just ask a price as well as they would be in the same situation.
Google already has more than enough data and devices to train Gemini on, they don't really need Apple.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Google already has more than enough data and devices to train Gemini on, they don't really need Apple.
There is no “enough data” for Google businesses. Not for search. And not for AI. If it is Google would simply stop paying for search on iOS years ago.

For Google the more the better, especially from premium users like Apple’s.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
You got that wrong, Google doesn't correct users data, it sells ads, endless ads. It may offer that user data to ad companies after to see it they are having any impact.
Apps are the things that mine your data INCLUDING any on the Apple
store.
Facebook are the ones who collect user data and photos and claim them to be theirs.
Google doesn't sell any users data, it sells ad space.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
From what we know about Gemini (newer, long context models) vs eg. ChatGPT (v4 Turbo 128K), it is miles ahead especially with length of context.
I didn’t know Gemini Ultra was miles ahead of GPT4 Turbo. I’m a user of GPT Plus and if Gemini Ultra is so much better, honestly I want to try it. If it’s priced similarly to the GPT Plus subscription, that’s it.

So… is there an easy way to easily use and suscribe to this Gemini model from my iPhone? And of course, being able to subscribe from the App Store, I’m not giving Google my card number and other sensitive data.

I’m from Europe by the way, I’m not sure if Google is still limiting the territories that can access to Gemini.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
There is no “enough data” for Google businesses. Not for search. And not for AI.
Now you are just making stuff up for no reason.
There are over 3 billion users of Google's services. Nobody has that many users, how is that "not enough"?

If it is Google would simply stop paying for search on iOS years ago.
Funny, you don't even understand why Google pays to be the default search engine on iOS in the first place.

For Google the more the better, especially from premium users like Apple’s.
Google's AI features were not created for "premium users" anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Seems they've finally realized they can't do everything all the time and now willing to ask for help when appropriate. The reality is, other AI companies are a few years ahead of Apple. They invested early in terms of hardware and software. Apple can pretend like they've got it, but the result would be another iOS 6 Maps disaster.
Couldn’t agree more. I wish we were wrong but… unless they really impress us with iOS 18 macOS 15, I think we have reasons to be pessimistic.

Geoffb9

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2023
The Revenge of the Nerds.
Apple wanted to hang out with the cool kids (via Apple TV+) instead of working hard with the nerds (Microsoft and Google). Look where this got them!
Let Jennifer Aniston help them with the AI.

Tim must go because it’s under his leadership Apple missed the AI train.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
AI at this moment is largely open source so in the end it comes down to hardware, AI server farms. Apple did not build these out yet so it has to outsource by paying or to be payed, that’s not clear yet.

A power efficient AI M-chip is certainly in the works so I wouldn’t minimise Apple’s role in the AI world as AI will use huge amounts of power in the years to come.

Geoffb9

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2023
Some people here downvoted me because last week I said that Apple was caught off guard. They’re in denial about how far behind Apple is when it comes to AI.
Maybe Apple TV+ will help AAPL stock. Not!

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Google’s sole business model depends on selling its user’s data to its advertisers.
Everything they make costs them money and they give it away for “free“

The same is true for their AI model. The more people that use it, the more data they harvest, the better placed they are to sell your data to their advertisers.

They pay $1B just to be a default search engine as I understand.
No company that depends on data will sell it to others. They use the data for Real Time Bidding (RTB) where the customers can bid for potential targets based on certain demography. Google does the processing needed to target the ads to the specific demographic. Every ad company wants similar capabilities and hence will try their best to develop similar capabilities. If they do not have it yet, it is because they are inept. Apple is developing similar capabilities.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Now you are just making stuff up for no reason.
There are over 3 billion users of Google's services. Nobody has that many users, how is that "not enough"?
Like you’re making stuffs up that Google has enough data now?
Funny, you don't even understand why Google pays to be the default search engine on iOS in the first place.
Sure, Isn’t it you who said Google has enough data now? Then why are they still paying billions a year to Apple?
Google's AI features were not created for "premium users" anyway.
LOL. Is this Google telling you themselves or you’re “making stuffs up”?

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Apple has completely missed the AI train. It’s probably gonna hurt them enormously in the long run.
If this reports are true, then yes I agree with you. I still remember their stubbornness to avoid mentioning “AI” up until recently, when they started using the term abundantly on their website and press communications.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Why would Google write a check in this case?
People are in denial. They thought just because Apple bought 30 AI companies, Apple will become the number one in AI (or that was their argument). This news must have come as a shock to them.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
Like you’re making stuffs up that Google has enough data now?
I don't make up stuff, I just sate facts, unlike you.

Sure, Isn’t it you who said Google has enough data now? Then why are they still paying billions a year to Apple?
Again you don't understand why Google wants to be the default search engine on iOS even if I explained it.
Also you obviously don't understand how Google's ad business works. The primary purpose if to serve ads to iOS users, this way they reach 100% of the ad mobile market. It's very very simple.

LOL. Is this Google telling you themselves or you’re “making stuffs up”?
No, logic and common sense. You should try it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.