Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
You mean the other way around? why would Google pay Apple to use THEIR technology since Apple does not seem to think they can come up with a competitor in time on their own. In this case, Google has the upper hand

Because Gemini is garbage and if they want to improve it they need people to use it? If Apple has to pay they’d be better served with Copilot, something at least functional; and way better than that with ChatGPT, where even if they only got 3.5 they’d be miles ahead. That’s why Google would pay.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Only answering the last sentence. Google does not actually pay a fixed amount to Apple. They pay a percentage of the revenue they get from the search engine in Safari. They get the rest of the 64%. That is how Google is benefiting from the deal too.

So they’re paying Apple 6,400+ billions. Wow.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Google doesn't sell any users data, it sells ad space.
Well... that's over-simplifying things to the point of being wrong.
These guys can explain it better:

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
In another post that said Apple bought DarwinAI as the 30th company, somebody said Apple will lead the AI revolutionize the AI scenario because it had bought 30 companies and it will turn out to be the dark horse. Looks like it is not happening.:)
Well, Paris bought Neymar, Messi and Mbappé and they've never won the Champions League 🤣

JoshuaBru

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Ottawa Ont Canada
You mean the other way around? why would Google pay Apple to use THEIR technology since Apple does not seem to think they can come up with a competitor in time on their own. In this case, Google has the upper hand
Exactly. Google will be getting all that ‘default search engine’ money back realllll fast.

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
"AI" just like "quantum computing" and bit coin is nothing more than a pyramid scheme. It's all meaningless BS, and people keep falling for it.

Reactions: gusmula

Mr. Nice

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2022
Apple has completely missed the AI train. It’s probably gonna hurt them enormously in the long run.

Apple wasted their man power on the car and the Vision Pro.
I can't imagine that Apple will use Google's Ai technology.
And I don't think Google will give it to Apple that easily either.
That Google AI would be a very good unique selling point for Android.

I think there will be an AI interface similar to the search provider selection for Safari.
Apple has to introduce something of its own regarding AI for iOS 18, anything else would be embarrassing.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Well... that's over-simplifying things to the point of being wrong.
These guys can explain it better:
I was about to post something similar, but from

Reactions: Kar98

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
"AI" just like "quantum computing" and bit coin is nothing more than a pyramid scheme. It's all meaningless BS, and people keep falling for it.

You do know Google is actively building a quantum computer right? No smoke and mirrors, it’s actually doing it. And AI exists, where is the ‘BS’ in it all?

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Some people here downvoted me because last week I said that Apple was caught off guard. They’re in denial about how far behind Apple is when it comes to AI.
Maybe Apple TV+ will help AAPL stock. Not!
Apple stormtroopers will always vote you down, if you tell em the truth about Apple. But the only thing critics like me want to achieve is that Apple changes and thinks different again.
Faults like missing AI or cloud (compared to Google, Amazon or Microsoft) are major fails. You cannot call Apple innovative just just because it integerates a new camera in the next "best iPhone ever". It Apple wants to survive it has to change and guys like Tim and Phil have to leave.

Developing a LLM is one thing. But Apple needs to train it and this takes an impressive amount of time. Months when we're talking about GPT-4. After the training completed you have periods of testing, evaluation, and fine-tuning. After a year you may have version 1 - if you own enough GPU power.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
And if the requester is driving Siri will say, “Here's what I found on Gemini. Check it out."
I doubt that very much, because that would be linking to google search which already exists. What would Gemini add?

In all likelihood, Gemini's response will be in audio just as Siri, but perhaps differentiated in some way (different voice, or a Gemini intro?)

Time will tell.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Apple has completely missed the AI train. It’s probably gonna hurt them enormously in the long run.
Ai has so far only really been seen on niche devices such as the Pixel 8 or S24 Ultra. Whilst these devices might get the most mindshare they are only a very small single digit percentage of global sales.

Apple are in a position to, as they always do take a piece of niche technology mainstream and standardise it. NFC payments existed long before the iPhone 6 yet it was Apple Pay that managed to turn it into part of daily life.

Every image rinsed through Google's servers is likely also used for AI training through object recognition and EXIF data scraping. Apple will be wanting to make sure nothing escapes iOS.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Google’s sole business model depends on selling its user’s data to its advertisers.
Everything they make costs them money and they give it away for “free“

They don't give "everything" away for free. Google hardware costs money (e.g., Pixel phones, watches, buds, Nest products, etc.). Google premium subscription products cost money (e.g., Photos, Drive, Play Pass, YouTube TV/Music/Premium, Nest Aware, Gemini Advanced, etc.). Google charges Android-based phone makers for Google Mobile Services license. Google charges money for many of the same types of things Apple does.

Reactions: gusmula

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
They don't give "everything" away for free. Google hardware costs money (e.g., Pixel phones, watches, buds, Nest products, etc.). Google premium subscription products cost money (e.g., Photos, Drive, Play Pass, YouTube TV/Music/Premium, Nest Aware, Gemini Advanced, etc.). Google charges Android-based phone makers for Google Mobile Services license. Google charges money for many of the same types of things Apple does.
So Google charges Android manufacturers to use their os and put Google search at the heart of 90% of phones. One would wonder why quid pro quo doesn’t come into effect here.

Obvs when it comes to hardware I agree. I was talking about software

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
Ai has so far only really been seen on niche devices such as the Pixel 8 or S24 Ultra. Whilst these devices might get the most mindshare they are only a very small single digit percentage of global sales.
Actually S24's series sales saw a decent jump vs previous generation and the user reception to these new AI feature was positive so it's a guarantee Samsung, Google and the rest of the Android OEM will double their efforts in respects to AI.

Apple are in a position to, as they always do take a piece of niche technology mainstream and standardise it. NFC payments existed long before the iPhone 6 yet it was Apple Pay that managed to turn it into part of daily life.
The market is not waiting for Apple to standardize anything. The direction on the mobile has already been set and Apple is just a follower.

Every image rinsed through Google's servers is likely also used for AI training through object recognition and EXIF data scraping. Apple will be wanting to make sure nothing escapes iOS.
You are giving them way too much credit.

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Finally a recognition that google has features in Android that iOS lacks. Please, more of this. It’s incredibly frustrating using iOS knowing we lack basic features.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Slap in the fact for people who are trying to stay away from the Google listening in on conversations and recording keystrokes.
All that will be over if this happens.

get-a-mac

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
It concerns me that Google’s Gemini logo looks a lot like the Temporal Loom in Loki season 2.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Apple wants to use Gemini despite the latter's recent (and somewhat scandalous) problems? Now that should lead to some really exciting news articles in the near future, after all the teens with iPhones decide to see just how far they can push Google's new AI features on their phones. :p

At this point, I imagine OpenAI would be the far safer choice, if for no other reason than it's handled far more (mis)use without anything really crazy happening.

rforno

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
So, let me get this straight:
All Tim Cook's declarations over the past months about "Apple going all-in AI" actually meant: "The purchasing department is actively negotiating contracts with third parties" instead of "The R&D department is actively developing an AI on par with third parties' ".

Foolish me!

Either Apple is more behind in the AI game than they're letting on publicly or else they see a chance to force Google's hand in negotiations to expand its Gemini platform. Another reason to take anything Cupertino says with a grain of salt until it's formally announced in a product/platform/service*.

That said: Google? Somethingsomething PRIVACY.... how they're going to walk that fine line will be very telling about their 'privacy' pledges. Unless they truly keep it all on-device and do NOT share user data with Google, they violate that trust expectation that they themselves allegedly cling to --- and will lose customers very, very quickly.

* Remember, only one App Store was implemented for 'security reasons' - it wasn't a monopoly, nosiree! But thanks to the EU, it's clear that was all just a PR line to justify its app-store monopoloy and 30% cut of sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.