Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Apple also doesn’t have any search yet Google pay Apple big money for the privilege on iPhone.
This will be the same. They will pay to prevent Apple to adopt OpenAI or Microsoft’s on iOS.

My read on this is that Apple will have their on device AI that is trained on synthetic data on particular topics.

When a query comes in that is outside of the scope of Apple AI, Siri will punt them to Gemini saying "here's what I found on Gemini" and then Gemini takes over.

This way, all the risk of inaccurate or inappropriate responses is "outsourced" to Google.

Also, Google will probably pay an unimaginable money to Apple for this.

Copium 🤣

Hate to break it you folks but Apple is the one shopping around for a REAL AI and not more garbage like Siri from their software teams, they’ve gone crawling to Google to save iOS 18 and iPhone 16.

And yes Gemini nano is better for mobiles than chatgpt, circle to search, magic eraser, audio eraser, wallpaper generator etc etc all clever gimmicks for the simple apple users.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I hope AI dies, so I am not worried at all about Apple being late. I'll be turning it off anyway.
AI is amazing, for some non-profits boards I sit on we been able to do some things that would cost us thousands of dollars for pennies. These are very small NPs where we try to spend every dollar on our causes.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
So they’re paying Apple 6,400+ billions. Wow.
I'm not sure how to take this comment. I said that they are paying 36% of Safari Revenue and I have given a link to that, which everyone else has understood. If you have not, then there is no more point discussing with you. I can only argue with people who can understand the arguments, sorry. :)

Reactions: M3gatron

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I'm not sure how to take this comment. I said that they are paying 36% of Safari Revenue and I have given a link to that, which everyone else has understood. If you have not, then there is no more point discussing with you. I can only argue with people who can understand the arguments, sorry. :)
I don’t know we are in argument 😂

I’m just wow at the number. That’s all. 😉

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
So Google charges Android manufacturers to use their os and put Google search at the heart of 90% of phones. One would wonder why quid pro quo doesn’t come into effect here.

Obvs when it comes to hardware I agree. I was talking about software
Not the OS, but to use their services GMS (Google Mobile Services).

In other areas, it charges diffrently.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Didn’t Apple hire some bigwig from Google many years ago to head up its AI work? What has he been doing?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
You mean the other way around? why would Google pay Apple to use THEIR technology since Apple does not seem to think they can come up with a competitor in time on their own. In this case, Google has the upper hand
The same reason they pay Apple to use their browser. Ad revenue.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Huh? The ad are still from Google, not Microsoft. Keep up.
They can stop paying Apple now and they are still getting ad revenue when people open Safari and see ad.

Think. Think.
Not if Apple makes Bing or DuckDuckGo the default search engine. Google wants to be the default search engine on the Safari because they want to serve ads on Safari. Not for the data. Doesn't Apple have ATT (App Tracking Transparency) that prohibits Google from collecting this data? Or do you believe ATT is a fraud?

Reactions: gusmula

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Of course it’s for data. If Google doesn’t need data why don’t they stop paying Apple and get that 18B by themselves? Safari is only a portal to the web. Google ad are already on the web. They don’t need Safari if they don’t need data.
No one is charged to use Safari on iPhone even if Goolge “claim” they got revenue from Safari.

oh now you never said it huh.
How will Google collect the 18B if Apple remvoes Google as the default search engine and makes Bing or DuckDuckGo as the default? Even I am interested to know this. I am pretty sure even Google would like to know this too so that they can save the $18b per year fee.

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
Based on what I've been reading and hearing, it seems to be a plan in the works where there is different tier of AI that will be available starting with A FREE BASIC AI capabilities at a LIMITED capacity. Then the other tiers which offer more complex or advanced unlimited capabilities or services, the customers will be charged a monthly/yearly fee for the more advance features of AI. As of now, I'm just wondering what that cost is going to be? Mark my word. I can see that happening as soon as the announcement of iOS 18. So don't be surprised if we have to pay for the advance capabilities of AI if we don't like the basic, limited version of AI.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Not if Apple makes Bing or DuckDuckGo the default search engine. Google wants to be the default search engine on the Safari because they want to serve ads on Safari. Not for the data. Doesn't Apple have ATT (App Tracking Transparency) that prohibits Google from collecting this data? Or do you believe ATT is a fraud?
See? This is the main thing you unintentionally accept at last. Google pay Apple for Data. That’s it.
Google can serve ad on Safari because Safari is just a portal to the web. They’re paying for search because they want data, and that data makes their ad more targeted hence got them more revenue.

It’s so obvious I don’t know why we have to have this discussion in the first place.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Apple so useless they can’t fix Siri themselves google about to steal a whole lot of people data
So, you do not trust the ATT (App Tracking Transparency) that Apple brought in and talks so highly about? That is Apple's best selling point and you have invalidated it with one comment. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Did anyone actually believe this?

Timmy's been bluffing on AI for months since investors realised Apple missed the train by throwing in big on Apple Car and Vision Pro instead. Now Apple are trying to scoop up whatever small AI firms they can, and beg for partnerships while trying to get SIRI to behave more like an LLM. And I do mean 'behave like'. Because SIRI isn't built as an LLM and there is absolutely zero proof that Apple has developed anything notable from the ground up.

Apple's board knows that they're the masters at hardware and marketing, but if AI takes off, it could singlehandedly relegate Apple to second rate. Microsoft and Google know it too.

Future winners are not set in stone. Very interesting times.
Last year the tech press was making fun of how often Google and Microsoft execs said AI or generative AI at their developer conferences. I suspect if you take a shot every time Apple execs say it on stage at WWDC this year you’ll be drunk fairly quickly.

Reactions: TJ82

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
See? This is the main thing you unintentionally accept at last. Google pay Apple for Data. That’s it.
Google can serve ad on Safari because Safari is just a portal to the web. They’re paying for search because they want data, and that data makes their ad more targeted hence got them more revenue.
I think there is a problem with our discussion. You keep understanding things wrong. If Google is not the default search engine, it cannot serve ads in the results. That is what gives it revenue which it shares with Apple. It does not need the data. In any case, according to Apple, Google should not be getting any data because of its ATT. Are you telling use that Apple's ATT, which it promotes highly, is a fraud?

Reactions: M3gatron
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.