Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MNJohn

macrumors regular
May 16, 2014

Apple today increased its trade-in values for select Mac models released in 2009 and later. In partnership with buyback company Phobio, Apple now offers customers up to $2,500, compared to up to $1,500 previously.

mac-trade-up-800x380.jpg

The new trade-in values in the United States are as follows:

o MacBook: up to $1,110
o MacBook Air: up to $430
o MacBook Pro: up to $2,500
o iMac: up to $2,500
o Mac Pro: up to $1,560

To determine how much credit you can receive, visit the Phobio website, enter your Mac's serial number, and answer a few questions about its current condition. Phobio will then provide an estimate based on the information provided.

If you accept the quote, you'll receive payment after your Mac has been inspected and its condition has been verified. The payment can be in the form of an emailed Apple Store gift card, PayPal deposit, or a virtual prepaid Visa card.

A maxed-out 2017 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in good condition, for example, has a trade-in value of $2,510. A maxed-out 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in good condition is eligible for $1,460 credit.

macbook-pro-trade-up.jpg

Apple's trade-up program is convenient, but customers can get better resale value by selling their Mac on eBay or listing it in classifieds such as Craigslist or the MacRumors Marketplace, so long as you adhere to our rules and requirements.

Apple also offers up to $500 for select PCs. Meanwhile, Macs released earlier than 2009 are eligible for Apple's free Renew and Recycling program only.

Article Link: Apple Increases Mac Trade-In Values to Up to $2,500

Reminds me of buying a car where the dealer tries to screw you on both the purchase price AND the trade-in....

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I've sold a number of Mac laptops over the years through eBay and haven't had any trouble. Vetting buyers by previous feedback helps. And of course it also helps to post lots of good, clear pictures and info so people know exactly what they're getting and there's no miscommunication.

Depending on your tax situation, I guess you could also donate it to an charitable org and write a fair market value off your taxes.

Reactions: jagooch

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Not that I would anyway but fun fact: 2010 Mac Pro models don’t work even though it says 2009 or newer. Serial comes up with nothing and selecting manually only offers 2012 and 2013 models.

Also, my 2011 iMac is apparently only worth $180. While I wouldn’t expect a 2011 to be worth a ton I can sure as hell get more than that on the used market. These trade in values are kinda a joke.

AppleVAR

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
Can I trade for a Chromebook? 5 Chromebooks actually, for the price equivalent. I don't want another Mac.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Anyone who trades in computers or cell phones to various companies like this is either insane, filthy rich or really loves getting ripped off.

I usually sell on craigslist and have sold on the forums here before as well, but I recently attempted to use Phobio to just avoid the hassle since the offer seemed reasonable (gold Macbook). However after an amazingly terrible experience with that transaction I will never use a service like that again, especially Phobio.

There are a few discussions out there online about what seems like their scamming practices (quoting one price then mysteriously claiming item was received as damaged and lowering offer, and other shady practices). If anyone wants more details, I'll provide.

But without a doubt it was that absolute worst customer service experience I've ever had. From my one experience and some others I've read online, they are a garbage company. Just wish I had read a few of those before sending them my computer. However since Apple had recently partnered with them I foolishly extended them the same trust.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Its funny some people still think of Apple as little monkey and penunts company. Its time to smell reality folks. Why would a giant - powerful multi-national empire corporation like Apple give you any of their pretty little pennies on a trade in? They got to where they are in economic hierarchy -- by being tricksters in the market, socially, fashionably, non-ethically, politically and economically.

There are two kinds of people who take advantage of the "trade in", those who are massively in debt and use it as one of many ways to slowly pay off debt, or those who have more money than they know what to do with and it's like getting a small "tax return" or "pocket change" to give to a homeless person.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
I will glad take anything off your hands, since Apple screwed me by selling refurbished ones with faulty GPUs, & they refused to honor their own Refurbished Store 1-year "warranty" :(
Wasted $3,000 for a laptop for school/work & its useless... I can't even trade it or sell it for parts!!!
Now new ones start at $5,000?!
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro

...$8,000 for 1 new laptop & 1 doorstop is a little pricey for a poor unpaid student intern lol

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Neat, $60 for a 2011 MacBook air with cracked screen.

I think i'll just keep it for memory sake :p

TPNxl

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
My MacBook Pro: 2016 15" Space Gray, 2.6GHz Core i7(-6700HQ), 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 460 GPU

For laughs, I put in my SN to Phobio, expecting a quote of at least $1,500 (this 2.9/1TB/460 model is $2,199: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-MacBo...153381?hash=item213762f6e5:g:7gQAAOSw~vpaP~Rc, mine has minor scratches and more cycles as well as a 2.6 GHz processor but that shouldn't knock off a ton of value):

Value: (incorrectly identified as a 2.6/256GB/450 model): $1,090

Whoa, that's a price MUCH lower than I was expecting, considering I paid $3,199 (actually $2,949 due to education discount) for this laptop a year and a month ago.

I retry again, using the drop-downs to correctly identify my MBP (to do that, submit a blank serial number and click "Search Device"):

Value: $1,100

That's crazy! What was a $700 option at retail is now worth... $10?!

And finally, testing the retail of a 2017 model that is identical as possible (2.8/1TB/560, basically the same computer with a bit faster parts):

Value: $1,945

That's BS.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I want to thank everyone who chimed in about Phobio. I'm looking to upgrade my Macbook Pro 2013 to double the memory and storage.

since it isn't easily user-upgradable, it looks like I have to sell my current laptop and buy one with the specs I want.

It also looks like I'll continue to sell my used gear on Craigslist since Phobio and the like rip customers off. I've had a good experience there though sometimes it takes a year or more to find a buyer.

b_money

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2018
Roseville, CA
I found out today that Apple has asked its trade-in partner Phobio to stop accepting 2017 MacBook Pros. So forget getting anywhere near $2500, you can't even trade-in your 2017 models. Looks very suspicious to me that Apple is secretly blocking this on one hand and marketing this on the other.

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 1.43.40 AM.png

Apple today increased its trade-in values for select Mac models released in 2009 and later. In partnership with buyback company Phobio, Apple now offers customers up to $2,500, compared to up to $1,500 previously.

mac-trade-up-800x380.jpg

The new trade-in values in the United States are as follows:

o MacBook: up to $1,110
o MacBook Air: up to $430
o MacBook Pro: up to $2,500
o iMac: up to $2,500
o Mac Pro: up to $1,560

To determine how much credit you can receive, visit the Phobio website, enter your Mac's serial number, and answer a few questions about its current condition. Phobio will then provide an estimate based on the information provided.

If you accept the quote, you'll receive payment after your Mac has been inspected and its condition has been verified. The payment can be in the form of an emailed Apple Store gift card, PayPal deposit, or a virtual prepaid Visa card.

A maxed-out 2017 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in good condition, for example, has a trade-in value of $2,510. A maxed-out 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in good condition is eligible for $1,460 credit.

macbook-pro-trade-up.jpg

Apple's trade-up program is convenient, but customers can get better resale value by selling their Mac on eBay or listing it in classifieds such as Craigslist or the MacRumors Marketplace, so long as you adhere to our rules and requirements.

Apple also offers up to $500 for select PCs. Meanwhile, Macs released earlier than 2009 are eligible for Apple's free Renew and Recycling program only.

Article Link: Apple Increases Mac Trade-In Values to Up to $2,500

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I give mine away to relatives or friends
You'll get a better return than if you sold it to Phobio.

I think some people expect Apple to pay more than what they paid for, or at least the same amount, when they first bought their machine based on some of the comments on here lol. I guess some people don't know the meaning of USED.
Apple computers are well-known to hold their value and depreciate slowly compared to other electronics. this is one reason people feel it's justified that Apple doesn't hold fire sales or similar promotions where it sells it's computers at deep discounts. We know Macs hold their value and it follows that even after several years Apple doesn't lower prices by a significant amount.

It seems like you are new to the Apple ecosystem since you didn't know that.

Phobio must be new as well, as their offers have gotten Apple aficionados to raise their eyebrows at their laughably wrong vakuarion of used Apple computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.