Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Once again, do you have the actual numbers?

No I do not. But with large threads (both in size and number) on both Macrumors and Apple Discussions, a petition that gathered several thousand signatures, the attempted class action lawsuit, and now Apple's acknowledgement more than makes up for that in my opinion.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Umm, not a leader. A leader would have acknowledged the problem when the problem started to occur. They've waited too long and I assume many people have already ditched their failed systems and purchased new ones.

And, if all they're doing is replacing the logic board, that won't fix the problem. My fixed logic board died after three weeks or so.

a PERSON would have acknowledged it like a PERSON.

APPLE is a corporate entity. and i'm going to assume you have no idea how legal teams operate in corporate america.

"hate the game, not the player..."

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Once again Apple demonstrates why they are the leader of the pack when it comes to taking care of their customers. This is why we love Apple. This is what the Sony's of the world just don't get selling high-end devices but providing lousy support and aftercare.

Universal translation means - once again :apple:are scared of impending lawsuit in the US, bet there's no love to the rest of the world, customer care my erse, as it stands I've got a £1k brick!

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
No I do not. But with large threads (both in size and number) on both Macrumors and Apple Discussions, a petition that gathered several thousand signatures, the attempted class action lawsuit, and now Apple's acknowledgement more than makes up for that in my opinion.

That is false. Any judgement you make on the situation is based on perception. Unless you have the actual hard data, you have no right to tell Apple what they should or should not do. The program started today because clearly the current data states it should happen. That, in no way, insinuated previous data was near that point.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Universal translation means - once again :apple:are scared of impending lawsuit in the US, bet there's no love to the rest of the world, customer care my erse, as it stands I've got a £1k brick!

The lawsuit was attempted and shot down.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I really, really want a 17in Macbook Pro Retina! Seeing the 17" cMBP makes sad.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
Coverage website from Apple doesn't work, as it tells me my MBP 17' is out of warranty!? So that's as useless as tits on a bull.

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Sweet. A nice $300 check headed my way. My board went out 2 weeks after my 3 year Apple Care expired, so I had to pay for the motherboard replacement. Pleasant surprise to be getting a refund.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Sweet. A nice $300 check headed my way. My board went out 2 weeks after my 3 year Apple Care expired, so I had to pay for the motherboard replacement. Pleasant surprise to be getting a refund.

Any Genius worth his salt would have gotten a manager override for 2 weeks after expiration.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Any Genius worth his salt would have gotten a manager override for 2 weeks after expiration.

There is no guarantee that a manager would have overridden it and you don't know that they didn't try. Apple is under no obligation to do anything even one day after Apple Care expired.

EDIT: I apologize. I thought you were insulting the user, not the Genius person

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I paid $115 because the Apple Store said the only way to fix my 2011 was to upgrade to a 2012 Retina. I wonder if I can get that money back?

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Once again Apple demonstrates why they are the leader of the pack when it comes to taking care of their customers. This is why we love Apple.

This is a joke. Apple has been raping customers charging them to repair their own defective junk for almost four years now! These have been failing since 2012. I had to upgrade from a standard rework station to a $8000 semi automatic optical alignment BGA rework machine just to keep up with the amount of these that were coming in everyday with the same problem.

Only now in 2015 does Apple acknowledge it and they are considered a "leader"? After people gave up on their machine? After people paid for repeated repairs that resulted in the same failure, gave up, and moved onto other machines? After they wrote off their $2000 investment as junk?

The real question here is how many people are going to get turned away because of bumps in the case, liquid damage stickers turned red because of humidity, or "yeah, this isn't a video issue because we can't boot into the ASD disk we use to confirm it's a video issue" BS like in 2008!

I LOVED how they said "we can't run diagnostics therefore we can't tell it's a video issue" when the GPU FAILING KEPT THEM FROM BEING ABLE TO RUN DIAGOSTICS!!!

I am curious to see how this plays out. I hope it works out well for users, but I have little hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6 and AleXXXa

gramtrax

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Umm, not a leader. A leader would have acknowledged the problem when the problem started to occur. They've waited too long and I assume many people have already ditched their failed systems and purchased new ones.

And, if all they're doing is replacing the logic board, that won't fix the problem. My fixed logic board died after three weeks or so.

Totally agree. Leaders step up and make it right quickly, not hem and haw and leave their customers out to dry for years.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
I get this:
Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under a custom agreement.
For more information about your coverage, please contact us.
Estimated Expiration Date: 01 January 2016

Does that mean my rMBP is covered as I get terrible ghosting and the occasional fuzzy screen when I open the lid from sleep?

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
how about the image retention issues now

I bought my 15" rMBP in early 2013 at the height of the controversy over the image retention issue. Sure enough, I was able to confirm mine came with an LG display, rather than Samsung, and sure enough within a few months the image retention grew quite severe.

I have also encountered issues with occasional garbled screen graphics and the system restarting itself while asleep.

I purchased AppleCare, so I'm covered until around Feb 2016.

I've been meaning to take it in to an Apple store, but I'm wondering if I'm going to have to fight to get a Samsung replacement screen without the image retention defect, since all along Apple claimed the issue was considered normal.

If for no other reason, I think I can demonstrate that the IR issue is unacceptable, since potentially sensitive information can be viewed on the display for some time after the computer is locked.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
So has anyone else realized that every year that Apple has made the Macbook Pro since 2006, they have had to issue a recall or repair program?

2006- Battery
2007/2008-Nvidia Graphics
2009-Video Issues
2010-Video issues
2011-2013- Video Issues

Reactions: dontworry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.