Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
HD4000 only and no more than 8gb ram.
No matter how gorgeous the screen is, common wisdom should be to wait for its first update...

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
A fine looking machine but way overpriced. There's really very little difference to the 15-inch; as with the 15, the SSD upgrade prices are ridiculous; and not even an option for 16GB RAM.

Certainly in the educational channel, the sweet spot appears to be a base 15 inch with an external third-party drive. And I suppose grudgingly putting up with Apple's absurd up-charge for 16GB, seeing as it's non-upgradable. $500 ought to be the total price for a 512GB, not the upgrade cost from 256. Divide the SSD upgrade and RAM upgrade prices in half and you might be closer to the mark.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Are intel's integrated chips THAT bad for 2D? 3D I know they are not very good, but have been improving and are reasonable now.

Perhaps we should wait for a review.

They are good enough. if you want to use graphic softwares just get 15 inch..

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Man, I was really looking forward to buying this for a work computer but the lack of any 16 MB RAM option and Quad Core I7 option (not even BTO) at all has me rethinking. The lack of integrated graphics figures in there too, but that I was already prepared for.

So now I am sort of questioning the value equation for this machine in its current form. You can already get a MacBook Air with 8 MB of RAM and a Dual Core processor (albeit I5 only, and with a lower clock). With that machine, you give up a Thunderbolt port, but that is not a huge problem given the daisy-chain-ability. You also give up HDMI for easy projector connectivity, but that can be solved with an adapter if you really need it. And of course there is the obvious lack of Retina display. However, crucially for my purposes, both machines can drive two Apple Thunderbolt Displays.

True, configured similarly (equivalent RAM and SSD, fastest MBA processor, slowest rMBP processor) the two are only $300 apart. So, this makes the Pro look a little sweeter. However, the form factor and sub-3lb weight of the MBA arguably puts it into a whole different league as far as portability, even compared to the new sleeker, lighter enclosure of the new Retina Pro. This is especially true when you consider that you can go down to the 11" MBA and not lose a thing (other than screen size, oh and the SD reader - NBD) vs. its 13" sibling. Now you have a barely 2lb device that really is not that much less powerful than a 13" rMBP.

If you could get the 13" rMBP Pro with the same processor and RAM (and GPU, really) as its 15" sibling (similar to how the 11" MBA can be spec'd up to match its 13" sibling, as I mention above), it would make the machine much more attractive. But, as it stands now, I am sort of thinking I will either step up to the 15" rMBP, or just go with a loaded-up 11" MBA. The mid-sizers don't give me the right capability-to-portability ratio.

(Oh, and just to be fair I'll mention one more thing the 13" rMBP can do that the MBA can't - it can run two low cost ~$350 Korean 2560x1440 displays (I believe) due to it's two Thunderbolt ports. But I am really loath to take that gamble.)

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
€1799 in Ireland.... outrageous.

Current exchange rate $1 = €0.77

$1699 = €1308
€1799 = $2388

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Wow, with educational discount, it's cheaper to get a 256 GB 15 inch MBPr than a 13 inch MBPr. The pricing of this laptop for the specs they gave are ridiculous.

njmitchel0

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
Can this edit hd videos (like those from dSLR) smoothly? :confused:

Would like this answered as well, just recieved a hdslr and would like to edit videos, not a pro by any means, but want capability. Should I keep it moving or is this fine for me?

Also would upgrading to 2.9 Ghz make any difference for what I am trying to do?

Last edited:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
8GB ram is a dealbreaker, I was considering going for this form factor but not with that little ram.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why are there two configurations? The only difference is HD capacity and both can be upgraded the same. Why bother with 2 models?

----------

Would life this answered as well, just recieved a hdslr and would like to edit videos, not a pro by any means, but want capability. Should I keep it moving or is this fine for me?

Also would upgrading to 2.9 Ghz make any difference for what I am trying to do?

This should be able to handle it but not as well as a 15" or a desktop. And to answer your question, YES, ABSOLUTELY. Hyper Threading is extremely helpful for video editing. ESPECIALLY since these are dual core processors.

SolidSnak3

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
I ve been waiting for this announcement for a long time, so dissapointed :(
I know we Apple owners pay for premium but this is just too much way to much. Wish people realize this and dont buy it so they can lower the price, is the only way.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
With the 2.5GHz i5 | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD the difference is $200 - $1499 for the MBP and $1699 for the rMBP.

It shouldn't. Remember it's driving the equivalent of a 27" ACD / ATD and I don't recall people saying that the current MBP can't do that smoothly.

You mean the 30" model.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
up to 15% improvement in GPU processing. in other words it'll be able to drive the pixels better than the current chip which is already struggling.

One of the advantages of at least the pro line vs. the ULV chips on the MBA is the usage of full-voltage CPU's. The ULV Haswell is only 15-30% faster than HD4000 on ivy bridge. The full voltage Haswell HD5000 is around 100% faster. There's also the potential that the 2nd gen rMBP 13 will get a quad core.

laomao

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
It's because it's Apple.

Apple obviously has monopoly power in this market niche as of now. The price is just right for them, but not right for consumers. $-200 will be nice.

----------

HD4000 only and no more than 8gb ram.
No matter how gorgeous the screen is, common wisdom should be to wait for its first update...

I bet you do not quite understand what HD4000 can handle :)

----------

One of the advantages of at least the pro line vs. the ULV chips on the MBA is the usage of full-voltage CPU's. The ULV Haswell is only 15-30% faster than HD4000 on ivy bridge. The full voltage Haswell HD5000 is around 100% faster. There's also the potential that the 2nd gen rMBP 13 will get a quad core.

technology is always advancing, so it is more about budget constraint and how much you want it :)

I just placed an order, and will compare with my 15' rMBP and see it I will keep the 13'. 15' is alright, sometimes it is a little bulky.

Lershac

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA USA
Disappointed

I was hoping for my holy grail... Quad core i7, discrete graphics, and bto 16 gb ram option.

Gonna pass for now, I think apple has some price adjustments to make on this. But I don't think they will.

They deserved the stock price hit today, I hope they get the message.

laomao

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Aye, but it is still within the capability of the machine. Heck, the HD3000 on my MBA can drive (effectively) that resolution.

I bet many people are just talking what they "hear" about HD4000, thinking it is an integrated chip made 10 years ago.

laomao

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Apple is charging because they can, & you can't fault them for a tradition they set long ago. It's a premier "retina" model.

It is very true, especially when apple fans are all religious about the brand.
Nothing wrong with Apple, this just reflects the greediness of corporate America.

But many people on this post are wrong about HD4000, it is perfectly capable of processing non-3D graphics processing applications. Yes a dedicated graphic chip will be nice, but do you really need it? Same argument goes for the 8G memory. Therefore only bummer is price really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.