Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-owned Beats today introduced the Beats Solo Pro, its first on-ear headphones with active noise cancellation.

beats-solo-pro-800x533.jpeg

Like the over-ear Beats Studio3 headphones, the Solo Pro feature proprietary Beats noise cancelling technology known as Pure ANC, but with updated tuning to accommodate the on-ear form factor. Apple says Pure ANC uses advanced algorithms to continuously monitor and adjust to the listening environment.

When enabled, a new feature called Transparency turns on the external microphones on the Solo Pro so the wearer can hear announcements, talk with friends, stay aware of their surroundings, and so forth without pausing music playback. There is a button on the left ear cup to switch between the modes.

Battery life is listed as up to 22 hours with Pure ANC and Transparency, and up to 40 hours with those features disabled. Like other recent Beats headphones, a Fast Fuel feature provides three hours of playback with a 10-minute charge.

Beats Solo Pro feature redesigned on-ear cushions with a remodeled enclosure for improved comfort and acoustics. Beats says exposed metal sliders enable a more durable and personalized fit, while the headband has no visible separation at the hinges when unfolded for a sleek appearance.

Beats Solo Pro also have an evolved acoustic platform, including a refined driver. Two beam-forming microphones, an updated speech-detecting accelerometer, and the Apple-designed H1 chip combine for improved audio quality and enhanced voice recognition for hands-free "Hey Siri" functionality.

beats-solo-pro-charging-800x533.jpeg

Additional features include the ability to unfold the headphones to power them on, and Audio Sharing with iOS 13 devices.

Audio Sharing lets you wirelessly share audio between the Solo Pro and other Beats and AirPods with H1 or W1 chips. Simply bring the second set of headphones near an iPhone or iPad running iOS 13 or later and connect with a tap, and then both headphones can listen to the same audio with separate volume control.

Beats Solo Pro headphones will be available October 30 in Black, Ivory, Gray, Dark Blue, Light Blue, and Red, with pre-orders beginning today on Apple.com in the United States. Pricing is set at $299.95.

Included in the box is a Lightning to USB-A charging cable and a carrying case.

Article Link: Apple Introduces $300 Beats Solo Pro Headphones With Noise Cancellation, Fold-to-Power, and More

Last edited:

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Nice! I would have probably picked up a pair of the Solo 3 ones with a Mac purchase a few years ago, but they charged via Micro-USB, and I prefer the lightning cable or USBC.

I'm probably not going to pick these up, but maybe the next Mac or iPad I get.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
The link indicates that these are *ON*-ear headphones, not *OVER*-ear headphones, as the MR article states.
Not being picky, but this is a big difference to potential purchasers.
That is a huge difference. I find on-ear headphones to be horribly uncomfortable while liking over-ear headphones like the Beats Studio ones. I thought that the article was wrong on that and was about to check.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I’m very happy with my Solo3’s, but I’m holding out for those rumored AirPods with noise canceling.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Beats Solo 3's have the best audio signature of any headphone I've listened to (great for movies, gaming, and music), but build quality and comfort (not to mention the stupid price) made them a no-go. If these improve those faults and drop 100 dollars in price, I'll listen (literally and figuratively).

Reactions: DeepIn2U

JediKnightDub

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Are these not on-ear headphones?

Also, curious if we will have a week of silent releases to products similar to the AirPods/iPod week a few months ago? :p that was fun.
[automerge]1571150151[/automerge]
That is a huge difference. I find on-ear headphones to be horribly uncomfortable while liking over-ear headphones like the Beats Studio ones. I thought that the article was wrong on that and was about to check.

100% agreed, but I think it's because I have a big head and big ears :p

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I didn't see this product update coming...

What is Apple's plan to differentiate apple audio and beats audio? I assumed would would be premium (pro) and one standard (consumer) but it doesn't seem like that is happening. Thoughts anyone?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Beats Solo 3's have the best audio signature of any headphone I've listened to (great for movies, gaming, and music), but build quality and comfort (not to mention the stupid price) made them a no-go. If these improve those faults and drop 100 dollars in price, I'll listen (literally and figuratively).
If you really want these, just be patient. They will go down in price soon enough. You'll find them at Amazon and other retailers for ~30-40% in no time.

Micro USB, no thanks
So does that mean you're getting a pair? ;)

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Are these not on-ear headphones?

Also, curious if we will have a week of silent releases to products similar to the AirPods/iPod week a few months ago? :p that was fun.
[automerge]1571150151[/automerge]

100% agreed, but I think it's because I have a big head and big ears :p

Nope. Small head and ears here. After a while, the Solo3’s are uncomfortable.

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Before you shell out $300, check out TaoTronics ANC headphones on Amazon.
I've been using these with my Touch for months.
They are great and you can get five pair for the cost of one set of Beats.
do they charge with USB-C?

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
do they charge with USB-C?
Not sure. I charge from AC. They tell you when they connect and disconnect to your Alexa or whatever on Bluetooth.
Also very comfortable after over an hour of wear.

Last edited:

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Is there any difference in sound quality? The Solo3s get good reviews but I find them quite 'muffled' .. I own a pair but they only really come out if I don't have anything else at hand.. such as the Beats X which I absolutely love, they are very crisp and pack a real punch for their size.

Reactions: AMessy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.