Apple Introduces New Giraffe, Shark, Owl and Boar Animoji in iOS 12.2 Beta

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Ok, call it 9%. The y/y is against a holiday quarter too, so that's the beauty of y/y. It's Apples to Apples in terms of time period.

Revenue is revenue. People voting with dollars shows you people are willing to spend more Macs, but they offer features the consumer wants.

What revenue growth number would you like to see in a mature product to consider it doing well? 9% growth is insane for a legacy product and at this scale.

You know how much $7B in revenue in 90 days is? For some perspective, the entire Netflix company did $4.2B in total revenue for their most recent quarter.

2. alexandr macrumors regular

alexandr

3. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

No, that’s what you posted previously. I corrected you when I replied. You quoted my reply yet somehow managed not to read it, or possibly my words were unclear and you did not understand. But I’m glad to elaborate :)

The iMac lineup uses seven different Intel CPUs currently, and range in price from $1,299 to $2,699 for the base 8GB models with entry level SSD capacities variously of 256/512GB. Only the top of the line models, priced at $2,499 and $2,699, use the unlocked K-series CPUs, of which Intel has released the ninth generation last October.

The other five iMacs use i5/i7 CPUs which Intel has not released the ninth generation versions of yet. No doubt they will release them at some point this year, but they are currently having production capacity issues with their 14nm process, and they are prioritizing their most expensive chips like Xeon and i9. (On their Jan. 25th earnings call, Intel indicated they expect to resolve these supply issues by June.)

Additionally, AMD will soon release their new Navi line of GPUs, fabbed on TSMC’s latest 7nm node. These GPUs will allow Apple to improve the graphics performance of iMac markedly, compared to the Radeon line they’re currently using.

Since Apple is currently dependent on Intel and AMD for Mac CPUs and GPUs, the iMac release cycle is driven by these suppliers’ shipping schedules. This is not a petty problem, but it is the unfortunate reality of the situation. (This issue has led to speculation that Apple will transition from Intel CPUs to their own in-house designed ARM CPUs in the future, possibly as soon as 2020, but Apple has not commented at this time.)

So Apple will have to wait for the chips they need before they can begin production of the 2019 iMac. You can want it now, but you will have to wait to give Apple your money. No chips, no iMacs. It’s just that simple.

4. aknabi macrumors member

Well it is for the new key Apple market targets... Kardashians and fashionistas
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2019 ---
    When you don't have any other real new ideas this is what you fling onto the wall to show you can "innovate my ass"

5. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Thank you for the "Adult Post." ;)

6. Unity451 macrumors regular

Unity451

7. PickUrPoison, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

You demonstrate a very limited understanding of marketing. Animoji aren’t about Kardashians, “fashionistas”, innovation or any other trigger du jour. Animoji are fun for kids, and they want an iPhone. Not an Android phone; an iPhone.

You do understand Apple has sold more than 2 billion iOS devices—1.5 billion of them iPhones—and has an active installed base of 900 million iPhones, right? Have you considered that Apple might just have a handle on this whole marketing thing? It may be that you don’t have quite as much knowledge of their target market as you think.

8. ibivibiv macrumors regular

Legit question/Not a troll: Does anyone regularly use these? I used it one time to check it out and since then have absolutely zero use for this feature. I just don't understand what it is for? I guess kids like it? I mean its clever and all but I just don't find it practical to send messages to people with it.

9. Williesleg macrumors regular

Can we get a Steve Jobs rolling in his grave emoji?

10. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Apple isn’t my life. Sorry.

11. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

It doesn’t have to be your life to make sense. You have the time to post nonsense, so you’re not that busy. If you knew your stuff, it would take you the same amount of time to post something meaningful.

12. Burger Thing macrumors 6502a

Burger Thing

Is there an Emoji for "overpriced gadgets"? Or one for: "make shareholders happy"?

13. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

I disagree. Atleast the Touch Bar is used more than once a day. Animoji was week 1, never again after that. It has no use.

14. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Keep up the good work.

15. pentidoes macrumors 6502

pentidoes

Thanks for this statement. Honestly!

It made me realize, I spend way too much time on forums which are either rude, pointless or annoying. I need to get a life. This is all just a distraction from what really matters. Thank you and with that I log out.

16. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Jony Ive and Timmy:

Riddle me this: Why is so much “real life” detail added to something like Animoji’s that so few apparently use, while all the helpful/intuitive detail that could help EVERYONE has been stripped from iOS starting with that abomination you called iOS 7?

17. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

Yes there is: I see Mac laptops and desktops as an emoji

18. ibivibiv macrumors regular

Ok it looks like not too many people like these. My legit question still though is: Do any of you with kids see them using this often? Maybe this is a feature to onboard young people into the platform? If so, then I guess meh... not for me but ok. I mean it is a device for more than just the "me's" of the world.

19. ROGmaster, Feb 5, 2019

ROGmaster macrumors 6502a

Calm down man, I get it, Apple is waiting for Intel's most mediocre refresh in the last 2 years.
    Great strategy, what can I say, it will definitely "justify" higher prices.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2019 ---
    I don't understand why you bothered answering.
    The beauty of y/y? That's a funny one. What about a quarter earlier than the one you want everybody focus on? Apple's units sales were down by 11% in that quarter. What about the upcoming 2019 quarters?
    There are no signs(and quite honestly no reasons) Mac unit sales will start to grow. Your generalist interpretation that Macs are doing great is quite exaggerated. The correct interpretation is : Mac revenue can still grow based on seasonality but in terms of competitiveness and future results things are not looking great for the Mac business.

20. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Not to worry, I’m perfectly calm; you don’t think I’d spend my life being triggered by a tech company whose success infuriates me, do you? That would be such a waste of time and utterly pointless! :eek:

But yeah, Apple might as well wait until it’s possible to release a meaningful upgrade. It’s very likely we’ll see a new design, and the large bezel that is so upsetting to some will be history. No doubt we’ll get the T2 security chip and possibly FaceID as well. There have also been rumors of an improved display, not sure what that might mean but I suppose True Tone is a given.

With this iMac update—and of course the release of the long awaited Mac Pro—Apple will have refreshed the Mac lineup from top to bottom. It’ll be interesting to see if they’ll use Intel’s 10nm chips in 2020, assuming Intel actually releases them, or if they’ll transition to their own CPUs as has long been rumored. In any event, at the very least people will stop complaining that Apple doesn’t care about the Mac :)

21. ROGmaster, Feb 6, 2019

ROGmaster macrumors 6502a

Intel's 8th gen was already meaningful update. Interesting how Apple missed it.
    Intel surely doesn't hurry with the bottom 9th gen CPUs because they are only petty refreshes of their 8th gen CPUs.
    Apple has a really bad strategy when it comes to launching new computers. They move much slower than even small Windows OEMs. Which is quite strange.
    And it very odd they don't decrease the price or old hardware and insist on selling it for the original prices.

22. Q-Dog macrumors 6502a

Q-Dog

How many people can afford to give their kids the $1000+ phones that can use these?

23. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

How do you know how many use Animoji or not? Just curious where you get your “facts” from or is it anecdotal?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2019 ---
    The answer to that depends on the zip code.

24. Tozovac, Feb 6, 2019

Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Animoji personal experience "Facts":
    • I have yet to hear of a family member or friend use Animoji's or express desire to have a phone to be able to use them.
    • I read mostly disparaging comments over Animoji's on macrumors and elsewhere.
    • I have zero desire to use Animoji's myself, while having continual frustration at times over unintuitive UIx cues in iOS starting with iOS 7.
    iOS UIx personal experience "Facts":
    • My sister, girlfriend, and mom text/call me continually asking for help how to make something happen on their iPhone/iPad, especially after certain iOS updates; this rarely happened 2010-2013.
    • Intuitive function-first form-second UIx cues will always only help users; I have yet to read or hear a single example of how the iOS6 calendar, iTunes/Music app, dialer, iMessages app, Pictures/Camera apps, Voice Memo app, etc., had design issues that were corrected by iOS7's "unobtrusive" minimalist bare-bones presentation, while I found numerous blogs, articles, opinions, complaints about iOS7's (and subsequent iOS's) unintutive and often confusing UIx. (note: the opinions in blogs/articles may be opinions, but the fact of the matter is they appeared in droves after iOS7 vs. before).
    • iOS7-12 are much more form-first (reinventions of time-tested methods, some still controversial) than function-first (the old-school proven method, but largely abandoned by Apple and unfortunately similarly abandoned by most website designers, app developers, etc. who blindly lemmingly copy Apple for better or for worse)
    • Any form-first function-second flat-design all-white/grey/light blue UIx cues & interfaces that cause hesitation or doubt to a user are much less intuitive and efficient to use than a UIx that bends over backwards with certain UIx prompts based on decades of learning (that were used in iOS6 & prior). (not talking stitched leather and green felt, but rather, the smart use of 3D buttons and certain colors/shading, borders, contrasting elements, etc.)
    Resulting opinions/anecdotals:
    • In my opinion, Animoji's are fluff that appeals to a much smaller segment than would benefit from a UIx prioritized back onto function-first form-second.
    • In my opinion, I find extreme irony that Apple finds value in 3D/realistic-leaning Animoji's that mimic "real life" while maintaining their head-in-sand blind eye towards how non-flat real-life-intuitive-based UIx element "basics" result in a better user experience, sticking to their flat design monochromatic low-contrast guns.
    :) <--No desire for this to be an Animoji

25. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

The 9% y/y growth is the most recent data we have and is being compared y/y, in the Xmas season.

The Mac demand is certainly still there and Apple just showed you that it’s doing great.