Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced a (PRODUCT)RED edition of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, available to order on Apple.com starting Tuesday, April 10, after 5:30 a.m. Pacific Time, and in Apple Stores starting Friday, April 13.

product-red-iphone-8-and-8-plus.jpg

PRODUCT(RED) editions will be available with 64GB or 256GB storage for the same $699-$849 and $799-$949 prices as the equivalent iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus models in space gray, silver, and gold.

Notably, the red finish is complemented by black front bezels, compared to white bezels on the (RED) edition iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Otherwise, these are identical iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus models as unveiled last September, with the new color introduced mid-cycle likely only to bolster sales.

Orders begin Tuesday, April 10 after 5:30 a.m. Pacific Time, with deliveries and in-store availability beginning Friday, April 13 at Apple Stores and select authorized resellers in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, and the United Kingdom.

Availability in Brazil, Denmark, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates, and other regions will follow later in April, followed by Chile, Colombia, India, Israel, Turkey, and more regions in May.

Apple also introduced a new (PRODUCT)RED edition iPhone X Leather Folio, which will be available for $99 beginning Tuesday, April 10 from Apple.com, Apple Stores, and the Apple Store app around the world.

product-red-iphone-x-leather-folio.jpg

(RED) was founded in 2006 by U2 frontman Bono and activist Bobby Shriver to raise funds for The Global Fund, which helps people affected by HIV or AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria in eight African countries, including Ghana, Lesotho, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Kenya, and Zambia.

(RED) CEO Deborah Dugan:
Today's announcement is further evidence of Apple's leadership in and commitment to the AIDS fight since the beginning of (RED) in 2006. The more than $160 million Apple has donated in the last 11 years today equates to more than 800 million days of lifesaving ARV medication that prevents the transmission of HIV from mothers to their babies. We're honored that Apple has dedicated its resources to our purpose, and can't wait to see customers bring our mission to life through the purchase of iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus (PRODUCT)RED Special Edition.
Apple has partnered with (RED) for nearly 12 years to sell a variety of red-colored devices and accessories. For each product sold, Apple makes an unspecified contribution to The Global Fund, raising over $160 million to date.

Thanks to Apple customers around the world for helping raise more than $160 million for @RED, fighting the spread of HIV in Africa and bringing us closer to an AIDS-free generation. https://t.co/uUolpv5Kv6 - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) April 9, 2018

Apple's vice president of product marketing Greg Joswiak:
This special edition (PRODUCT)RED iPhone features a stunning red and black color combination and also offers customers the opportunity to make an impact in fighting the spread of HIV and AIDS. iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus improve on everything we love about iPhone, including Retina HD displays that are more beautiful than ever, the most powerful and smartest chip ever in a smartphone with the A11 Bionic and more advanced cameras for unbelievable photos and videos. We are proud to support (RED) with this bold new iPhone and hope customers think it is as special as we do.
Apple introduced a (PRODUCT)RED edition iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in March 2017. The special color was discontinued alongside the launch of the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X in September 2017.

Article Link: Apple Introduces (PRODUCT)RED Edition iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, Available to Order April 10

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

Kangastu

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
78866161-DBFA-4868-8294-99BF6213BB88.png
8E2BC8BC-AD2C-40AB-8241-0B7D6FA848E9.png
The au AppleStore app is now showing messages. Front screen still Sans-image.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
I don't understand the appeal of having this as a color, since most everyone uses a case and can just get a red case. I like that it supports [RED] but other than that, what's the appeal?

Never used a case on my 6S +. It was a tough phone.

Reactions: 24601

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I think these phones look great. I don't understand why Apple would make someone wait 7 months after the new model comes out to get a red version. I feel like a lot of people would be happy to support the cause and buy red models if they were available at the same time as the new release. I know I would.
Mid cycle sales. They do this half way through cycles to get a few more sales before a new release. Oddly enough, a new color usually works, especially one that people wanted from the start. Some people are okay waiting a few more months on a color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.