Apple Introduces (PRODUCT)RED Edition iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, Available to Order April 10

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today introduced a (PRODUCT)RED edition of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, available to order on Apple.com starting Tuesday, April 10, after 5:30 a.m. Pacific Time, and in Apple Stores starting Friday, April 13.

[​IMG]

PRODUCT(RED) editions will be available with 64GB or 256GB storage for the same $699-$849 and $799-$949 prices as the equivalent iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus models in space gray, silver, and gold.

Notably, the red finish is complemented by black front bezels, compared to white bezels on the (RED) edition iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Otherwise, these are identical iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus models as unveiled last September, with the new color introduced mid-cycle likely only to bolster sales.

Orders begin Tuesday, April 10 after 5:30 a.m. Pacific Time, with deliveries and in-store availability beginning Friday, April 13 at Apple Stores and select authorized resellers in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, and the United Kingdom.

Availability in Brazil, Denmark, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates, and other regions will follow later in April, followed by Chile, Colombia, India, Israel, Turkey, and more regions in May.

Apple also introduced a new (PRODUCT)RED edition iPhone X Leather Folio, which will be available for $99 beginning Tuesday, April 10 from Apple.com, Apple Stores, and the Apple Store app around the world.

[​IMG]

(RED) was founded in 2006 by U2 frontman Bono and activist Bobby Shriver to raise funds for The Global Fund, which helps people affected by HIV or AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria in eight African countries, including Ghana, Lesotho, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Kenya, and Zambia.

(RED) CEO Deborah Dugan:
    Apple has partnered with (RED) for nearly 12 years to sell a variety of red-colored devices and accessories. For each product sold, Apple makes an unspecified contribution to The Global Fund, raising over $160 million to date.

Apple's vice president of product marketing Greg Joswiak:
    Apple introduced a (PRODUCT)RED edition iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in March 2017. The special color was discontinued alongside the launch of the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X in September 2017.

Article Link: Apple Introduces (PRODUCT)RED Edition iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, Available to Order April 10

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Well, that should make a lot of people on here happy - black bezels!

Personally preferred the white/red combo they used for the iPhone 7, but each to their own.

3. mpConroe macrumors regular

mpConroe

4. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

Woohoo black front glass, this iPhone is super classy.

5. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Like I said last year: Red and Black looks so much better.

So no new colors for the iPhone X? Guess they don’t care about it as much. And where is AirPower?

6. nfl46 macrumors 604

Yay! We finally got it!!!!!! About time they give us a black/red iPhone!

7. maceric macrumors member

I don't understand the appeal of having this as a color, since most everyone uses a case and can just get a red case. I like that it supports [RED] but other than that, what's the appeal?

8. Schwyz, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

Schwyz macrumors regular

Schwyz

It’s...it’s...black!

So, when will mine be delivered? :p

9. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Well this’ll definitely work to increase sales given the black front.

10. benshive macrumors member

Looks pretty cool and raises money for a good cause. Maybe if I weren't so content with my X I'd look into getting one :)

11. nfl46 macrumors 604

12. Kangastu macrumors member

Kangastu

78866161-DBFA-4868-8294-99BF6213BB88.png 8E2BC8BC-AD2C-40AB-8241-0B7D6FA848E9.png The au AppleStore app is now showing messages. Front screen still Sans-image.

13. wemax macrumors newbie

they will sell a lot more of those now with the black front. looks nice

14. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

It looks way better with the black front. Much more seamless integration of the red colour into the design

15. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502

AMTYVLE

This ALMOST makes me want to leave my X and go with the 8 Plus in Red.

16. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

So no AirPower... It intrigues me what is taking them so long to release it... It's been 6 months now!

17. cliffster82 macrumors 6502

But not everyone.

18. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Never used a case on my 6S +. It was a tough phone.

19. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Black front. This. is. the. most. perfect. phone. ever. :D

20. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I think these phones look great. I don't understand why Apple would make someone wait 7 months after the new model comes out to get a red version. I feel like a lot of people would be happy to support the cause and buy red models if they were available at the same time as the new release. I know I would.

21. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

It will look great under my case because of the glass back.

22. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

Pleasantly surprised that they listened!

Looks good!

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

The Apple logo should be red. I wonder why they went silver.

24. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

How long was the red i7 available for?

I’m presuming this is a limited run to boost mid season sales?

25. nfl46 macrumors 604

Mid cycle sales. They do this half way through cycles to get a few more sales before a new release. Oddly enough, a new color usually works, especially one that people wanted from the start. Some people are okay waiting a few more months on a color.