Apple Investigators Posed as Police in New Lost iPhone Prototype Search?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 2, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, it was revealed that Apple in late July had once again lost an iPhone prototype in a bar, mirroring an event that took place in 2010 ahead of the iPhone 4 launch. According to the report, Apple and San Francisco police tracked the device to a home in the Bernal Heights neighborhood of San Francisco and conducted a search, but were unable to find the device.

[​IMG]

That account was quickly called into question yesterday after the San Francisco Police Department reported that it had no records of such an investigation. SF Weekly follows up with a new report today interviewing the man whose home was searched and suggesting that Apple security personnel may have posed as police officers during the search, a criminal offense. Alternatively, police officers may have improperly assisted in the investigation without properly documenting their work.
    Calderón claims that he allowed the investigators to search his home and car and to examine a computer to determine whether the lost iPhone had been synced with it. Coming away from the search empty handed, the investigators reportedly offered Calderón $300 to return the phone and left a phone number for him to contact them if he could offer further information on the device.
    A San Francisco Police Department spokesman has expressed concern about the purported series of events, noting that the department will investigate the incident.

Article Link: Apple Investigators Posed as Police in New Lost iPhone Prototype Search?

2. Macopotamus, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

Macopotamus macrumors regular

Macopotamus

edit: ok never mind I read the report from SFWeekly and something is clearly going on

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

This is getting crazy! Anthony Colon has removed his Linkedin Profile!

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think you need to read the story before knee-jerk continuing this meme.

arn

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The plot thickens.

[​IMG]

My theory is: we find the iPhone, we find Jimmy Hoffa's body.

6. Macopotamus macrumors regular

Macopotamus

but have you tried their tequila flavored shrimp ceviche??

7. arn, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Attached Files:

8. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Such an odd GIF.

This whole situation could get more interesting than last year's...

9. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

The muck is deep.

I'm going to email Steve and get to the bottom of this! Will report back after I get in touch with Steve. :mad:

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Wow, this is getting serious. Loving this coverage, MR :)

11. Mudcrutch macrumors member

They were probably government, just not OUR government.

/Sneakers

12. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

THis is really sounding outlandish. Either a). whoever runs Apple security is a numbskull, or b). this story is false.

Seems very unlikely a company security department would go out on a which hunt for a prototype. Why would they not contact police first? Makes no sense and when things don't make sense, they usually are not true.

13. Macopotamus macrumors regular

Macopotamus

OK now THIS is getting interesting, but I do have a very hard time believing that Apple lost yet another iPhone prototype in another bar

14. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sir, I'm going to need to see some ID...

... No, not your license. Your Apple ID.

15. Bchagey macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is getting good.

16. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Why would Apple, the most secretive company in the world, not contact the police who would make a police report?

hmm...

arn

17. iVoid macrumors 65816

Steve who? :)

You have to email Tim now. :)

18. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

He's probably the one who lost it, if it was indeed a lost prototype, and came back searching for it in hopes to save his a*s. If they really did pose as the police, they're in for it.

I feel bad for him either way, but we need to learn some responsibility here. Why the bars though?

And how stupid is this guy? At least use a spoofed number or even a frekin Textfree number and don't give him your real name. Jeez.

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Only one possibility: Apple is the zodiac killer.

20. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Is it really that hard to believe? Their testers are a bunch of young kids, my age, who don't appreciate what's necessary to be responsible with their jobs the way Tim Cook-level guys do. They're just getting into the game. They're still enamoured by the joy of landing a job at Apple and living the life. In their youth, they're going out and spending some I-work-for-Apple-dammit cash on drinking with their buddies. So in a year's time, two of them left their test phones at the bar while doing so.

Also this:

It's not that crazy to believe. Especially given the craziness over last year. I wouldn't put it past Apple to try to avoid police involvement this time around as it did them little good last time. Sure, justice was served to a degree, but it was such a headache.

21. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Just your friendly neighbourhood corporate policemen at work...

22. bottsjw macrumors member

Maybe he's been "taken out"!

23. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

24. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Luuuuucccyyyy.... you gots some esplainin' to do....???

[​IMG]