Apple involved in Next Gen PC to HDTV Connectivity

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A group of PC and consumer electronic companies announced today that they are working on a specification for a new display-connector called UDI.

UDI stands for United Display Interface and is intended to serve as a next-generation digital display interface standard for PCs. It is expected to replace the old VGA analog standard connectors as well as providing compatibility with both the DVI and HDMI standards presently used in High Definition consumer products.

UDI will support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) which is also supported in the HDMI standard. The Special Interest Group includes a number of industry leaders, including Apple and Intel Corp.

According to this TG Daily article, UDI will be the graphical interface "for the next ten years" by providing added bandwidth at least twice the capability of the largest displays today.

The final specification is expected to be finalized in the second quarter of 2006.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Veldek said:
So, this will only replace VGA and not DVI?
No, it replaces everything. VGA is pretty much still the standard although DVI technically is. It will support DVI and HDMI.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Let's be more specific about the members of this UDI special interest group:
Apple
Intel
LG Electronics
National Semiconductor
Samsung Electronics
Silicon Image​
Contributors:
FCI
Foxconn Electronics
JAE Electronics
NVIDIA
THine Electronics​

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
So its compatible with DVI? Does that mean it will need some sort of special adapter? I don't want to have to relive the ADC connecter.

Damn Lacero do you just have a computer online to the Macrumors main page and hit refresh every ten seconds?:p

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The PC world hasn't (for the most part) switched over to DVI, what makes us think they'll switch to this?

Dell will be using VGA for the next ten years. :rolleyes:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
puuukeey said:
um... I don't get it. whats the advantage other than embedded copy protection and making consumers switch?
Sounds like higher bandwidth. Remember, Apple's 30" display requires dual-link DVI connectors.

arn

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
puuukeey said:
um... I don't get it. whats the advantage other than embedded copy protection and making consumers switch?
That's what keeps the world going. (Look at HP and how many different cartridges they have.) We should be happy; this keep the economy going. :rolleyes:

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Wow people are talking about way to many connectors... I don't even know whats "standard" anymore. I just want 1 single connector type and ill be set.

vjl323

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Bad move, Apple!

This has got to be the worst move Apple could have made. HDCP is the MPAA's wet dream, as it will regulate what people can and can not view on their monitor. It's like having your speakers not work if you can't prove that you own the MP3 file you're trying to play.

There is a lot on EFF about it, but this link explains it pretty well, I think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

/vjl/

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
javabear90 said:
ug.. not another switch of display connectors. DVI, ADC, VGA, etc... to many!
Don't forget DB-15! (I got a beige G3 yesterday and guess which connector it uses) :rolleyes:

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
vjl323 said:
This has got to be the worst move Apple could have made. HDCP is the MPAA's wet dream, as it will regulate what people can and can not view on their monitor. It's like having your speakers not work if you can't prove that you own the MP3 file you're trying to play.

There is a lot on EFF about it, but this link explains it pretty well, I think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

/vjl/
Darn, another hurdle to jump over if I want to commit a crime :rolleyes:

Oh wait, I don't steal my stuff. Nevermind, I don't care.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Macrumors said:
UDI will support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)...
Weak...

From Wikipedia:

HDCP is licensed by Digital Content Protection, LLC. In addition to paying fees, licensees agree to limit the capabilities of their products. High-definition digital video content is restricted to DVD quality on non-HDCP video outputs. DVD-Audio content is restricted to DAT quality on non-HDCP digital audio outputs (analog audio outputs have no quality limits). Licensees cannot allow their devices to make copies of content

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
javabear90 said:
ug.. not another switch of display connectors. DVI, ADC, VGA, etc... to many!
yes, too many
but i would be happy if they can offer something like HDMI to ADC adapter.....or HDMI to UDI to ADC adapter......
so I can connect my ADC 23" with a PS3 in full HD resolution

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Bay Area, Ca.
I hate HDCP, and no, I don't have interest in being a criminal, nor have I ever, however I don't welcome the idea of my computer's parts being made in the best interests of a gigantic movie studio monopoly.

strange days

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2005
JoeG4 said:
I hate HDCP, and no, I don't have interest in being a criminal, nor have I ever, however I don't welcome the idea of my computer's parts being made in the best interests of a gigantic movie studio monopoly.
second that, no big brother inside, please... :mad:

Joep

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
HDCP on current Cinema HD Displays

Does that mean that my brand new 30 inch Cinema display will be uncapable of displaying the HD content I bought it for?

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
vjl323 said:
This has got to be the worst move Apple could have made.
I couldn't disagree more!

IF there will be a copy-protected standard coming (and it will for sure), then it is surely better for us to have Apple in the decision-making process. We do know already that as soon as such standard is ready to market, Steve wants to use it; look at ADC for example - was brilliant, but interoperability is even more brilliant. In the future there must not be proprietary Apple display connector, it is not the direction Steve wants to go 'cause it just will not work for them any more than it would work for us. I mean, come on, who wants to go back to the use-only-apple-branded-displays era?

Now while this connector is still years away, let's hope Apple's contribution leads to a better standard.