Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

184323-line.jpg

iPhone line photo by goodrob13

While Apple announced that the iPad would go on sale at the end of March, we've yet to hear official details about the actual sale date and procedure.

We have heard whispers the Apple is planning on launching the iPad at retail stores on Friday, March 26th at 6 p.m. in similar fashion to the original iPhone launch.

A blog post from the Examiner now makes similar claims of a March 26th launch date with Apple store employees getting training on the device starting on March 10th. The author also claims that the commercials will begin airing on March 15th. Finally, those who camp out for the iPad will receive a "special gift".

The 3G enabled version of the iPad will follow the Wi-Fi iPad launch by about 30 days, according to Apple.

Article Link: Apple iPad to Go on Sale Friday March 26th?

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
WOW! There is a line already formed waiting for this. Lots of day to live outdoors like that.

Comment

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.17405/922; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Special gift oh my lol

Comment

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
What could that special gift be? The promise of something like this could help generate lines. My guess: t-shirts.

No way I'm waiting in line for a first generation iPad. This is way too much hype for a crippled tweener device, expensive magazine reader that could be the equivalent of WebTV.

Comment

bryanl

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
I just hope I can buy it online. Standing in a line for hours has no appeal to me at all.

Comment

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Happy birthday to me!

THAT WILL BE MY BIRTHDAY!!! :rolleyes:

Honestly... I was born on the 26th. I think Diana Ross was too. :)

Comment

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Bugger, I forgot about the time-zone. I also forgot the fact that I haven't made up my mind about the iPad yet. There're so many annoyances...

Comment

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Regardless of the date, I'm buying the first day that it's available :apple:

Comment

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
First commercial will be on the night of the Oscars. You heard it from me first. :)

Comment

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Why 6:00 PM?

Why 6:00 PM? When they sell iPhones, they start in the morning and the store is filled to the max all day long. Are they just wanting to keep people in line longer? I don't buy the 6:00 PM bit.

PS: I bet the free gift is a touch enabled magic mousepad (Or a code to download a free move)

Comment

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
Please tell me that pic was lifted from another product release in the past and people aren't already waiting on line for a product which for all we know could be as long as 29 days out (the last day of March) and still fall within, "end of March"? If people are really in line all those people should be committed and go with the men in the van with no windows while wearing the funny jacket with the buckles on the back. :D

Comment

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
I wonder how that works for Pre-Orders then if a release time of 6PM is how it goes.
I suspect you'd get it delivered during the day on 3/26 from FedEx (if you're in the US).

Bugger, I forgot about the time-zone. I also forgot the fact that I haven't made up my mind about the iPad yet. There're so many annoyances...
If it really works like the iPhone launch, it will be 6:00 p.m. local time. So, here on the East Coast, I'll have mine three hours before those in Cupertino. :)

Why 6:00 PM? When they sell iPhones, they start in the morning and the store is filled to the max all day long. Are they just wanting to keep people in line longer? I don't buy the 6:00 PM bit.
The original iPhone was sold beginning at 6:00 p.m. local time in the US on 6/29/07. (At both Apple and AT&T stores.)

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
WOW! There is a line already formed waiting for this. Lots of day to live outdoors like that.

Please tell me that pic was lifted from another product release in the past and people aren't already waiting on line for a product which for all we know could be as long as 29 days out (the last day of March) and still fall within, "end of March"? If people are really in line all those people should be committed and go with the men in the van with no windows while wearing the funny jacket with the buckles on the back. :D

Do you even read the articles before commenting? :rolleyes:

FROM THE DAMN ARTICLE said:
iPhone line photo by goodrob13

Comment

Jesse3121

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
I really hope it just is not an in store thing and it will be able to be ordered online :/ there is not an Apple store near me. I had to travel 2 1/2 hours to go to an Apple store to buy my MBP.

Comment

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009

PS: I bet the free gift is a touch enabled magic mousepad (Or a code to download a free move)

They want to show the media that folks are waiting all day in line for the release (like concert tix) ... then releasing the product at 6pm just in time to get free evening news air time.

Comment

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
my predictions

Drop the 6pm. It will go on sale first thing in the morning with many venues opening at early as 7am

The exact date will be announced no more than 1 week before sale date

There will be no in store reservations allowed. Any "pre-orders" will be online only and will start no sooner than the day the release date is announced. There will also be very limited numbers given to online to sell and only those numbers will be promised release date delivery.

Also, store staff probably started their training weeks ago

Comment

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

This is the problem when people let Apple do their thinking. Look at the picture. It is of the Fifth Ave Store in New York. It's March. In New York. March. Do you see any coats?

Comment

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ

Ah, no --- that's the big NYC 24-hour store and while New Yorkers are a tough bunch, it's still pretty cold with snow forecast here.. ;) No shorts in sight this afternoon at Midtown.

JT

Comment

chrisk1250

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
I doubt that they will have the alleged supply constraints if this rumor about giving people gifts for camping out is true.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.