Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foot56

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
I want to order the Apple iPhone 4 Dock. However, I ordered a bumper will I be able to dock it with the bumber on? Anyone know?:confused:

Hot Karl

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
Midwest
Excellent Question

First, I do not know the answer.

But, I think you raise a great question. So many iPod and iPhone cases are not compatible with the Apple doc that I ended up never using the dock I bought with my 3GS. One would hope Apple products would be compatible with Apple accessories - but, this was not the case with Apple's iPad dock and case. In fact, I'm not sure the iPad dock would work with ANY case, due to the snug fit.

Buyers Beware.

Rouser

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Yes

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-4-hands-on-0788746/

iphone-4-bumper-2-slashgear--394x499.jpg

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
It doesn't look like the dock is supporting the phone in any way - it's just sitting on top. That might be good for compatibility with other cases.

EDIT: Looking at the dock on the Apple store, I'm not sure the phone in the above photo is actually plugged into the dock...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Thanks for these photos guys! This really helps and relieves any worries I had with the bumper and dock together :)

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
The pic from the back really doesn't show anything, and in the picture from the front, you can see a lot of the dock connector showing, so I wouldn't be so certain that the pins are actually making contact. Usually the phones have to be seated well to make a connection.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
From some of the other pics at that link where it shows the base of the phone with the case on, it doesn't appear to me like it will work with the dock. Oh well, plugging it straight into the cord works.

jeffdh879

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Springfield, IL
when the iphone or even ipod is charging on the dock, isnt there a little plug in the battery symbol in the upper right? i want to think so, in that case, the phone shown is not charging...

Burrholes

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2005
when the iphone or even ipod is charging on the dock, isnt there a little plug in the battery symbol in the upper right? i want to think so, in that case, the phone shown is not charging...

There is no cable in the dock. I think the pictures just prove it fits.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
The pic from the back really doesn't show anything, and in the picture from the front, you can see a lot of the dock connector showing, so I wouldn't be so certain that the pins are actually making contact. Usually the phones have to be seated well to make a connection.

Jobs said it was specifically made to be universal. Meaning, it was made with the Bumper in mind.

It's meant to work with it, guys. ;)

reaborg

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Santa Clara
Jobs said it was specifically made to be universal. Meaning, it was made with the Bumper in mind.

It's meant to work with it, guys. ;)

Unless you jam it in there (which I am unwilling to do), the iphone 4 with the bumper does not seem to fit into the dock very easily :(. I guess I will be returning the dock.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Yep, I tried it too. It fits, but it doesn't charge because the contacts are too far away.

It may have been designed to be universal, but it was poorly executed.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Yep, I tried it too. It fits, but it doesn't charge because the contacts are too far away.

It may have been designed to be universal, but it was poorly executed.

No Go Either! How come these docks can't be drop it and sturdy as the blackberry docks, where you just drop it and pull out without ANY effort unlike these lame apples ones.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
If it was made to fit the bumper, it would be loose with a naked phone. It might sit on it but it wont charge. I got both and I guess I'll just take it off every time I want to use the dock.

DaveWonders

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Will it fit in the universal dock with no insert?

That's what I do with my 3GS and my Griffin Simplifi. I just don't put a dock insert and it fits my 3GS with a Speck case just fine.

sfditty

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
As a left-hander, I have little choice but to go with a bumper, given the reception issues. Anyone know of a dock that will play nicely with bumpers?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I'm 90% sure I can make it fit with a dremel and the "ball" gouge cutting bit. Stay tuned....have a dock and bumper delivered next week.

waiting for contourdesign.com to bring out a "Flick" for the I-4 - The 3GS works perfectly for me.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
what a crap...doesn't charge with the damn bumper....neither with non apple cables that are little fatter, like the GRIFFIN ones...:mad:

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
Alright, so I have a bumper on my iPhone and plan on keeping it. I ordered an iPhone 4 dock and am waiting for it. Should I return it without opening it and get my full refund and just buy a universal dock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.