Apple iPhone Battery Lawsuit Dismissed

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple can be the target of many lawsuits, some more justified than others. One widely reported lawsuit at the time of the iPhone's initial launch attempted to sue Apple over the iPhone's sealed battery, limited number of charge cycles and fee for battery replacement.

Bloomberg reports today that the lawsuit has been dismissed without a trial in a summary judgement.
"Apple disclosed on the outside of the iPhone package that the 'battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider,'" Kennelly wrote in his Sept. 23 opinion, quoting the packaging. "Under the circumstances, no reasonable jury could find that deception occurred.''
Article Link

ddTaylor

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Chalk one up for common sense! See, sometimes out legal system DOES work - most of the time it is co-opted by others for personal gain, but not this time! My hats off to this Judge for using his head! Refreshing - very refreshing.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
A stupid lawsuit. While we might all like the outcome were such a lawsuit to win, no one can say it was actually justified.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Brookyln
A stupid lawsuit. While we might all like the outcome were such a lawsuit to win, no one can say it was actually justified.
And what would the outcome have been? Replaceable batteries? That would severely impact on the overall design of the phone, or made for a thicker device. I, for one, would NOT have liked that outcome.

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
In a year or two ,this dude would found half of his equipment at home having the same phrase on it. I don't like the internal battery (which s one of the two main cause why I didn't get one when I was in the States), but do you have to have lawsuit, c'mon, you simply don't know anything about portable electronic industry

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
And what would the outcome have been? Replaceable batteries? That would severely impact on the overall design of the phone, or made for a thicker device. I, for one, would NOT have liked that outcome.
Actually, kinda true. But being able to bring a spare on long trips would be nice, and most of Apple's devices are too thin as it is.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Finally! One for Apple. I for one am sick of these BS lawsuits against Apple in an attempt to get rich quick.

bijou

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
I am sick of these whiny, pathetic losers with their useless lawsuits.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I'm going to print off some cards you see at bus stops and on notice boards.

Need cash quick?
Why not sue Apple?
£1,000,000 to £100,000,000 per year.
Call xxx

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Disclosure on the package to use a larger font-size? Or all capitals? Tannoy announcements in the Apple stores?

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Actually, kinda true. But being able to bring a spare on long trips would be nice, and most of Apple's devices are too thin as it is.
Or you could just plug it in. Unless of course you are talking about hiking through the woods or somewhere that electricity is not readily available. :)

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Doesn't iPhone 3G have a cover that's easier to remove, and a replaceable battery inside it?

One possible outcome of the lawsuit would be to make Apple waive the replacement fee. But, I'm used to batteries tanking. Thank you cold fusion!

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
How much thicker, and why? I'm just curious, do you know this, or are you speculating?

I'd love to see replaceable batteries on the iPhone; since I suspect the main reason it isn't replaceable is for planned obsolescence. Apple hope when the battery performance degrades, users will buy a new iPhone rather than send the old one off to have the battery changed. Chances are, they're right.

apixel

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Almost a spare

There are a few batteries out there that recharge your phone and are not too bulky. It's not quite the same as swapping one out, but I can certainly keep making calls with it connected, and it charges the phone fairly quickly.

Google for richardsolo batteries.

Stargaze

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
definately glad to see some brains used in declining this one..

As long as apple replaces my battery in warranty for free i dont care if i have to pay for OOW as long as its just the cost of the battery not shipping, labour, and hardware...

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
hmmm

I must admit I'm not a fan of apple's battery philosophy, but they clearly explain it up front. When the battery doesn't perform, they fix the device. They are doing right by the customer. Besides, they do provide a dock connector for 3rd party charging devices / external batteries.

iSightG5

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
Doesnt the iphone have a dual battery setup or was that ditched before the first gen launched? I remember when they announced the iphone they mentioned that it would have a battery for the ipod portion and one for the phone, yet there is only one battery indicator.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'd love to see replaceable batteries on the iPhone; since I suspect the main reason it isn't replaceable is for planned obsolescence. Apple hope when the battery performance degrades, users will buy a new iPhone rather than send the old one off to have the battery changed. Chances are, they're right.
It's a familiar concept. Every electric shaver I've ever owned had a battery that could not be replaced by the consumer, and the cost of sending it back to the manufacturer for replacement is close to the cost of a new shaver. The problem with this strategy is that they can't stop you from replacing the old device with one made by someone else.

kerryn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
While it is annoying that the battery is not user replaceable, with that said I have never needed to replace a battery on a cell phone.

In the end, common sense prevailed.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
This is one area I will have to disagree because I speak from first hand experience. I worked for Sprint for 7 years selling the cell phones and hardly any customer ever buys a spare battery. Most of them wait until the included battery is no longer usable and then they just use that excuse to buy a new phone.
With that said, I just bought an iPod Touch and I am getting the Applecare so I can get either a replacement battery or iPod when the time comes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.