Apple is $100 Billion Away From Becoming World's Only Trillion Dollar Company

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2017.

1. deanthedev macrumors 65816

deanthedev

Logical fallacy. There are many reasons to like this news, even for those who don’t own shares.

2. gaximus macrumors 6502a

Why, they are no where near a monopoly?

3. Kent Clark macrumors newbie

Don't get too excited guys. I love Apple as much as anybody, but you might want to check out this story before you celebrate. A bubble is forming thanks to the Swiss Central Bank (note the stock sitting at the top).

"In the third quarter of 2017, one in which the global economy was supposedly undergoing an unprecedented "coordinated growth spurt", and in which central banks were preparing to unveil their QE tapering intentions, in the case of the ECB, or raising rates outright, at the Fed, what was really taking place was another central bank buying spree meant to boost confidence that things are now back to normal, using "money" freshly printed out of thin air, and spent to prop up risk assets around the world by recklessly buying stocks with no regard for price or cost.

While we are far beyond the point of debating central bank intervention in equity markets (we do want to remind readers that until several years ago, it was considered "fake news" to even mention it, and those who accused central bankers of manipulating stock markets were said to be paranoid tinfoil basement dwellers), we want to point out that unlike the BOJ, which at least keeps its capital markets distortion local, the SNB, which likewise creates money out of thin air (then sells it for dollars in an attempt to keep the Swiss franc depressed) is actively causing substantial price distortions in the US.

While we doubt this will be investigated with stocks are at all time highs, we look forward to the Congressional hearings after the crash when the scapegoating and fingerpointing begins as it always does, and everyone is "stunned" to learn that central banks were responsible for blowing the biggest asset bubble the world has ever seen by directly buying stocks.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-03/swiss-national-bank-now-owns-record-88-billion-us-stocks

4. Jssmith83 macrumors newbie

Jssmith83

Well it hasn’t worked for iTunes yet

5. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling its may be more from 100 billions away if they were paying their taxes.....

6. miric macrumors newbie

miric

Here is a receipt: just review fix charges for glass backs of new 8/8+/X phone series.

7. kazmac, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

At the cost of making truly wonderful hardware and software that "just works."

If they gave a flying fig newton about Macs and software (Mac and otherwise); they would thought differently about the MBPs, updated the Mac Mini and did something about the Mac Pro prior to this year. And if they actually do this, I'd happily put out money for a new Mac and put up with the hubris, bs and utterly WTF thinking going on with the brass.

One day it won't be about phones, or AR, or even Macs I know, but if they weren't so scattered and completely out of the infinite loop in regard to hardware products that people want to create content on, I'd wish them nothing but good.

8. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Name them. Why do you love this news about a giant American consumer electronics / phone corporation?

9. PickUrPoison macrumors 65816

Not likely. I think the 2018 X will drop to $899 and the 2018 X Plus will be $999 or $1049, with the only real difference between them being the size and battery.

10. citysnaps macrumors 68040

Yeah. Sure wish Microsoft, Facebook, google, etc wouldn't do that.

11. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Dream on, Apple has significantly boosted the iPhone price in the last 4 iterations in certain markets. And with millions buying at 999 plus for the X, it won’t reduce those profits!

12. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

13. PickUrPoison macrumors 65816

Can, but haven’t in quite a long time. They’re coming, not soon enough for some.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the mini, since Intel still has no quad-core CPUs at 28W TDP.

A new Pro will also be welcome, no more cylinder, Apple describes the new Pro as modular.

14. NOV, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

NOV macrumors 6502

NOV

At least they opened the door to a spectacular upgrade program with their complete product line converting to Face ID, OLED screens.

Personally I think we can expect them to make them the jump on the blockchain train. The combination of Apple Pay with blockchain could further expand their position, cutting out the middle man banks.

15. citysnaps macrumors 68040

Apple is not a charity.

They make outstanding well-priced and affordable products that people are willing to open their wallets to purchase.

16. deanthedev macrumors 65816

deanthedev

For starters, it really, really, really upsets the Apple haters. Which is good for a laugh to see the mental gymnastics they go through to spin this news or make it irrelevant.

Apples share price is high because they have consistently high revenues/sales. This benefits me as an iPhone (for example) user.

High sales means Apple has reason to keep pushing the envelope with each new iPhone. Like consistently coming up with the worlds most advanced custom processor. It provides them with money for R&D for future products. High iPhone sales means there’s an excellent choice of aftermarket accessories (companies aren’t going to tool up to make products for phones that sell a fraction of the iPhone). High iPhone sales are what drives developers to iOS, providing us with a superior App ecosystem.

There’s a few obvious ones, for starters.

17. NOV macrumors 6502

NOV

Nonsense, VOC was not like the Viking tribes or pirate like scums. They were the precursor to modern international organised companies and trade was the name of their game. Do a little research before posting this kind of idiotic statements.

18. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

They will get their $100 Billion. That's why they are charging $4.999 for a base model iMac Pro!

19. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

Who said they were? I have no issues with Apple becoming the first trillion dollar company.. More power to them

20. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

21. citysnaps macrumors 68040

Funny... My 1989 Mac IIci cost me around $6K (approx equiv to $12K today), with 25 MHz cpu, and 4 MB of RAM. And no display. The iMac Pro is a relative bargain.

22. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Trust me. I've been going to MUG meetings since the 90s, Macworld SF, NY, Boston since 2002 and it has been constant. And still today, I have to deal with unsolicited comments from Android users about how stupid I am for having a crappy iPhone....and all I can think is how stupid it was arguing about PC users about graphics card drivers and AppleTalk 19 years ago.

sigh.

I'm happy for Apple's success. If I had bought half of the Apple stuff I've owned since 1999, I'd be able to retire on Apple Stock. That's my only regret. five less iPhones, 5 less iPods, 10 less Apple Computers a few less Airport Routers and Printers and $3,000 Cinema Displays and I'd have many millions in stock.... :p

50,000 USD in AAPL in 2000 = 824,654 today

23. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

BROOOOOOOOOOOMED....or something like that...

24. jmh0523 macrumors member

Courtesy of their offshore tax-dodging accounts.

25. citysnaps macrumors 68040

You mean the same ones Microsoft, google, Facebook, etc use?