Apple is $100 Billion Away From Becoming World's Only Trillion Dollar Company

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2017.

1. pl1984 macrumors regular

How would it be broken up? Breaking it down by product wouldn't achieve anything as one product is Apple's primary revenue stream. Perhaps by different iPhone model :)

2. jovada macrumors member

I wonder how a Foxconn worker would react to such a story. Oh right, they don't even have the time to read this in the first place.

3. TrickyTree1984, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

TrickyTree1984 macrumors regular

So you'd think they could pay taxes without avoidance tactics. I pay tax on my income, I pay tax on iTunes purchases, I pay tax on hardware purchases, I pay tax on support...but Apple can squirrel it's profits away in tax havens.....so we all just have to pay more tax. All this and they charge a huge markup on products that they have people hooked on with a closed ecosystem that forces everyone to pay their cut (some just pass it on to the consumer but aren't allowed to tell you due to the apple T&C's). Software with forced default apps you can't change (remember when you sued Microsoft for that on Apple?). Exploit exchange rates unfairly to rip off UK customers. Thats how you make a trillion dollars

4. Falhófnir, Nov 9, 2017

Falhófnir macrumors 6502a

Falhófnir

A lot of people seem to be confusing what this means - market cap is not the same as money in the bank! Apple doesn’t have a trillion $ in the bank, because if they did then buying all their shares for $900billion and therefore becoming the owner of all of the $1 trillion would mean you effectively bought the company for -$100 billion ;)

5. TrickyTree1984 macrumors regular

6. SashJ macrumors regular

This next quarter will be amazing for Apple because of iPhone X. That could be what sets them over.

7. Eorlas macrumors 6502

I...don't even understand the question. Success can't be achieved because one individual does not help you achieve it?

8. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Apple, like BMW, can have success without either of us buying their products.
    My home happens to be filled with Apple products.
    And some that are copies of Apple products.
    Haven't had a Beemer since the 90's ;(

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Well, you have a nice imagination, because none of what you posted is true. R&D? And massive revenues only help the share holders, not the customer, it doesn’t work like that.
    And it must have escaped you, but you do know Androids global market share is MUCH bigger then iOS right? So no, high iPhone sales do NOT attract developers, try again.

10. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

Sorry, nothing but facts. You’re the one imagining things. I’m sorry that Apples ridiculous success bothers you so much.

11. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Nope, just your imagination and misunderstanding, like the ‘high iPhone sales’ comment.

12. bobdobalina macrumors 6502

Yay!! Now if everyone on Earth would just hand over another $13.70 we could make our target!! Just think of all the good that could be done by a trillion USD corporation!! On the other hand, if AAPL could just plan their taxes a little better *wink-wink* maybe we could just spend that $100B making potable water available to a few hundred million people without it? naaahh, it would never work...

13. raghu8912 macrumors regular

Why stop at Dutch East India, may be there were some trillion $ companies in 5000 BC that had 1 Trillion market cap after adjusting for inflation.

14. ksnell, Nov 9, 2017

ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

...except that they have a war chest of a balance sheet that is larger than most countries. That gives you "a bit" of flexibility.

EDIT: a word.

15. adib macrumors regular

adib

Ah, the Dutch East India Company — the first publicly-traded company (by modern standards) and one of the early (if not the first) corporatized slavery and pilfering. Hopefully Apple isn't following their route (or have they?).

This company literally owned a country — several to be exact.

16. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

Thanks for proving my previous comment about the mental gymnastics people go through to explain away Apples success.

iPhone won the smartphone war. iOS won the mobile OS war. It trounces Android in corporate/enterprise use, App revenues, online shopping revenues, digital content revenues....literally every single category except market share.

Want to know why? Because people buying gazillions of $50 Android phones do absolutely nothing to help the ecosystem as a whole. They don’t spend money on Apps, accessories or content. They use them as glorified feature phones. How can a developer (for example) justify spending money on a high-end game or App for Android when they know 90% of the user base doesn’t have the hardware to run it? How can a developer take advantage of the latest features when most Android devices are running on 2-3 year old versions?

17. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

well money is not everything

18. Bonte macrumors 6502a

Bonte

History proves you right but that's a big risk for only 10% profit (Apple stock holders generally don't sell for only 10% profit), it all depends on the iPhone X sales and dividend growth if Apple will have a bounce back or soar past the trillion mark.

Next quarter is generally the one where Apple adjusts the dividend up and combined with stellar X sales this could be a very good quarter for stock holders. There is always a bounce back but i won't bet on the trillion dollar mark.

19. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Two points: One size doesn't fit all and not everyone is an Apple shareholder. That means if a customer doesn't like something, it doesn't mean the product is bad. Not everyone's preferences are the same.

I've only ever seen Apple fans defend every criticism against Apple by ironically saying Apple is doomed. I've never seen an Apple hater say Apple is doomed. Most Apple haters know there are tons of fans to help support Apple thru anything.

20. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Won a war? What war? If your talking sales or market share Android has won. That’s how short sighted people claim one console has ‘won the war’. It’s sad really.
    You should also realise that the majority of games or apps on iOS are also on Android, it has some exclusives even like iOS, so yet again the actual facts do nothing to back your claim up.

And what on Earth do you mean by ‘online shopping revenue’? Last time I checked people shop on whatever device they have and it has nothing to do with iOS or Apple....
    in fact the only one you got right, according to Apple, is App Store revenue.

21. David_19 macrumors newbie

David_19

22. mgauss7 macrumors member

mgauss7

google 'time magazine apple must' hello from Cortland

23. tehreflex macrumors 6502

It's easy when you hoard all your taxable money overseas. Don't get me wrong I think Apple is a great company...but PAY YOUR TAXES! I certainly have to. I don't have the luxury of hoarding millions of dollars overseas.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Whether you've heard Apple haters say Apple is doomed depends on how long you've been an Apple fan. If you were an Apple product user in the '80s, '90s, and even well into the '00s, it was practically the soundtrack of your life.

Not that its constant ironic use today isn't getting really old. Time to give that one up for sure.