Apple is no where near cutting edge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jim2008, Apr 3, 2010.

1. jim2008 macrumors newbie

Another day, I was looking for a new laptop. The most expensive laptop you can buy from apple is 17" MBP, it's US$2500, let's look at the spec

# 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    where is i7? Core 2 Duo is one GEN behind

# 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
    apple is always cheap at memory, did I mention $600 to upgrade to 8G, you can probably buy a pc laptop with 8G memory for $600

# 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    come on, at lease give us 7200 rpm if not SSD for the $2500 price tag

# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    where is blueray, do we mac users not deserve new technology?

Let's talk about OSX, it doesn't support TRIM for SSD which is supported by windows 7. without TRIM, your expensive SSD is just gonna get slower and slower. And where is SATA 6G support on both hardware and software?

Apple used to be leader in terms of technology adoption, which of course, we pay high price for it. But today, they are so behind. Let's look at mac line, both desktop and laptop, outdated hardware for very high price. I admit apple has good design, and I don't mind paying high end price for a high end computer, I just don't want to pay high end price for a outdated hardware inside a fancy body.

2. kousuke18 macrumors regular

I hope for your sake that you have your flame suit on! :eek:

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Why? He's right.

4. kousuke18 macrumors regular

I know he is right, but this has been brought up many times and I assume many people are getting tired of threads like these.

5. Robg54 macrumors member

And this is exactly why there are so many people waiting for the refresh.

I am basically sitting on my insurance payout from my stolen macbook pro.

I won't even consider a mac till they get updated.

If the updates aren't in April, I will be buying a much more powerful and much cheaper windows machine.

I love OSX and I love my Macbook pro, but paying $2000 for a midrange macbook pro is NUTS when similarly equipped laptops with windows 7 are like $700.

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

i7? Too much heat & uses too much battery life. i5 would be a better choice. C2D is only one generation behind so will be able to do most, if not all tasks that is thrown at it.

7200 RPM hard drives: Again too much heat and uses too much battery life.

SSD hard drives just don't have the reliability & longevity compared to regular SATA hard drives. High cost & low capacity is another factor. This is where cutting edge is not always what it is cracked up to be, until a lot of improvements are made. These factors are probably why Apple has not widely adopted it yet and for good reason.

7. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

i wouldn't be expecting arrandale any time soon and if they do update to icore is for 17 inch just like the top end imac...if they do the whole notebook line they would have to do the whole desktop line which was refreshed not long ago and that is not gonna happen.. i hope im wrong

8. PAC88 macrumors 6502

it's still very much cutting edge to 90 percent of people around the world.. and will remain cutting edge even after a few updates come and go. some of us just happen to be extremely privileged

9. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

To be truth, Apple was never near cutting edge (this goes for their computers). Their marketing was. Always.

10. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Apple is about reliability, cutting edge is usually too new and without its problems.

11. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I think it is funny all the apple fanboys playing Apple's advocate. The technology is last gen period. We can discuss if that is better or not, but the fact remains it is last gen.

Linuxcooldude said
    Nice excuse. If apple released a core i7 system that crashed every 2 hours, I can imagine all the fanboys saying:
    And has anyone ran their finger along the side of the 2009 unibody macbook pros? Talk about cutting edge..

12. Quetsche macrumors member

LOL! :D

13. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I'm not an apple fanboy by any means. I don't even own a mbp right now because I'm also waiting for the new ones to come out like a lot of people. I'm waiting, not because the current ones aren't 'cutting edge' enough, It's because I'm a smart consumer and don't see value in them at current prices.

If you talk about cutting edge technology in a broader sense (I tend to look at things this way, in the big picture)... not just looking at it from a short term or narrow perspective.. then yes the current ones are still cutting edge... Core ix cpu's and other minor things you mentioned would be considered more 'bleeding edge technology'

I'm not trying to challenge anyone, we all look at things differently.
    I too have a problem with the way Apple chooses to price things, which seems to be most peoples main issue. For every person out there that thinks they are currently overpriced, there's always another person to which it's simply pocket change.

14. ttopp macrumors regular

My MBP is ok for the edges but I did have a black MacBook that cut me a couple o times.. sharp.. Apple do do things for themselves but they also have to wait till others do their thing (smaller faster hard drives. take up of usb3 or light peek?.) they are very much about style so it could be that they are having problems designing the cases /mother boards/internals to not have to challenge the design / function balance they try for.. Which they do get wrong i7 iMacs for example the only mac I didn't want (sorry I did want it but didn't keep it the screen wasn't the ultimate in my opinion) the 21" c2d was better but thats a screen issue way me.. They have been getting / using pre releases of intel processors on the last few Mac Pros and they do uptake newer connections usb firewire, and let go of others, floppy drives firewire, also hold on to some long after everyone else combo drives and superdrives.

At the moment the MacBook Pros are behind but you kin bet that they are looking at them as we speak.. Who knows what there specks will b till they come out..

The point that they don't drop the price even though they are now behind is a bit pompous though..

15. bluetick macrumors member

You've forgot the weak-assed GPUs they put in all their computers. If Apple ever want to go mainstream with macs, they really should fix this.

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Another thread really?

Number of thread posts on this issue doesn't equal issue being resolved!

Apple isn't stupid, they know some of their computers needs an update and are working on it. Heck we've gotten an email from the horse's mouth that they're working on it! Just be patient! sheesh!

Would you rather they rush out something plague with problems and have you lot complain about everything under the sun or have them take their time and release a proper update.

You'll get your update once the iPad hype dies down

Mattaku

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

PC:
    Where's the magsafe?
    Where's the multitouch trackpad?
    Why is this still 1.5" thick?
    Why doesn't it have firewire 800?
    Why doesn't it have iLife?
    Why do I need to perform frequent defrag?
    Why doesn't it protect against malware or rootkit?

18. highscheme macrumors regular

-Apple AC Adaptors are still pieces of ...

-No HDMI out without convertor

-No USB 3

-No card expansion slots on anything but 17"

-No higher resolution display options

19. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

None of these features are cutting edge. They are industry standard.

20. bluetick macrumors member

It does, actually. NTFS permissions and user rights assignment, combined with regular updates reduce chance of viral infection dramatically.

21. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

So far I'm finding Windows 7 on my Vaio to be just as solid, if not more solid than OS X on any of my Macs, fine with me.

I like Apple power bricks, they beat most competitors' crap. My Vaio has a hot pocket sized power brick that isn't nearly as spiffy >>

I agree though, Apple has lost their cutting edge for sure. They DID have one before. You guys are just delusional lol :D

22. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I think I am getting delusional, I haven't slept all night. haha

it's getting so bad that I'm even contemplating an ipad run in the morning right now

23. highscheme macrumors regular

The looks and size of the Apple adaptors are awesome. Unfortunately their durability is atrocious. I'm about to need my 4th power adaptor on this G4 notebook, and from what I understand, the magsafe design is just as bad in this regard.

24. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Nooo dont do it. If this is all a plan to hold off the MBP’s so Apple fans feel the need to get an iPad fix then they’ll just do it again. They need to learn... bad apple. (if in fact that is anywhere near the truth)

25. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Valid points in the OP. The Macbook Pros are way too expensive given the technology they have at the moment. It is just not worth the price.