Other Apple is slowing down older iPhones based on battery wear level [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IsaacM, Dec 10, 2017.

1. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

I have said for a long time: NEVER UPDATE THE VERSION OF IOS THAT CAME ON YOUR PHONE. I call BS on all of this "security" garbage you hear. NO ONE HAS EVER HAD THEIR IPHONE HACKED! Crying out loud.

The poor saps are those with the newest phones. Can't get that SCAMWARE IOS off your phone.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---
    I HOPE APPLE GETS ITS ASS SUED OFF.
    IT'S ALL APPLE BS. THIS WHOLE STORY IS BS. BS. BS.
    Yup. Think we would have heard about this if not for the independent tester? Haha.
    Yup. I suspected so, too. That's why I always said DO NOT UPGRADE IOS. It's a planned obsolescence trap. Now it looks even worse. Class action, please!

2. rawCpoppa macrumors 6502

3. Makayla macrumors regular

Makayla

What I don't understand is, the phone slows down significantly after an iOS upgrade but when the owner goes to the Apple Store, they are told the battery is fine.

so what's going on?

4. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

Battery is fine so they don't need to replace it.

It's slow so you will think of upgrading your device.

Simple.

5. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

That's right. Apple's story is iBullSheet.

Go the Apple store with your slowed-down older iPhone. See if they'll replace the battery.
    I am returning the two iPhone 8 Pluses I purchased this month. Not going to support this company any longer. Eff you, Apple.

6. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

You are not going to able to own a cell phone if you only want a company who is squeaky clean in everything they do.

7. RumorConsumer macrumors 6502a

RumorConsumer

It doesnt seem like this a part quality issue... batteries wear out and we use our phones constantly. It also doesnt sound like this was a performance suffering issue as much as it was a "your device will sporadically turn off if you continue to use at full power".
    This is a real difficult one. To get the masses to understand the nature of the problem is more difficult than a warning screen can convey. This thread is evidence and these are top 5% of users technically speaking ostensibly...

8. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

Didn't the issue originate because of unexpected shutdown issues on the iPhone 6s that were solved in iOS 10.2.1?

9. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Why would they resolve your issue at $80.00 when they could force you to upgrade your phone where they will made more than $80.00.

10. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Class action:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/12/21/apple-being-sued-over-slowing-down-older-iphones.html

The lawsuit has supposedly been filed by Stefan Bogdanovich, a Los Angeles man who is claiming that Apple's tactic of slowing down older iPhone models is making the lives of users who aren't willing to shell out the kind of cash needed for the newest devices difficult. Bogdanovich has gone on record in the paperwork as saying that the company's method of slowing performance in older phone models in order to converse battery life was never something that users ever had a say in or agreed upon in any way. He wants to bring the issue to the fore legally on behalf of all of his fellow iPhone users who are disgruntled about the same problems.

Then, there's the moneymaking ploy that's at work here. Bogdanovich asserts that the slowdowns are generally just a ploy to get smartphone users to upgrade their devices, therefore allowing Apple to rake in that much more cash as a result. Coupled with the fact that products like the iPhone X aren't making having the best possible device any cheaper, the proposition of owning an iPhone is becoming an increasingly dicey one, according to him.​

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/apple-sued-over-iphone-speed-issues-in-older-models-news.41202.html

This is the real reason Apple is doing this:

applestock.jpg

11. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

I was defending Apple on this but I can't anymore after they admitted it.

This is why I feel removable battery needs to return. Now every Android OEM is going to copy Apple's "feature".

I don't want a slower phone when the battery degrades within a year and battery should improve to a minimum of 1000+ life cycles like MacBooks.

12. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I'm so glad I bought 2k shares of Apple right after the very first iPod came out, I love Apple.

13. anonymous guy macrumors 6502a

In this case, there is an indirect correlation between iOS updates and older hardware as it is not always optimized like the software is for the latest and greatest of phones.

The major sticking point is how iOS throttles the speed/power consumption aggressively to keep battery life longer on phones with worn out batteries.

For the common consumer, they think the best solution is to upgrade to new hardware, which is what Apple encourages.

It was discovered that iOS allows the hardware to operate at full speed if a fresh battery is detected, however, that is something that is not openly disclosed by Apple.

For users who have discussed and learned of this issue through personal device slowdowns and synthetic benchmark numbers, Apple won't even allow a battery replacement in-store even if $80 is presented up front - because they have an arbitrary battery health diagnostic that evaluates battery strength based on their own undisclosed metrics, irregardless of the user's personal experiences.

14. archer75, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017

archer75 macrumors 68020

So the choice is, your old phone either just dies or it becomes sluggish. I'd rather it become slow and I can still use it than the battery just die.
    All batteries degrade over time.

I buy a new phone every year so this doesn't affect me.

15. anonymous guy macrumors 6502a

The problem is, they didn't disclose the fact that they can get a perfectly fine machine if you replaced the battery.

Most casual buyers ended up paying $1000 because their daily Facebook/Snapchat/Instagram machine wasn't working anymore.

16. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

Someone shout out how A12
    I knew Apple was up to something when the original iPhone was one of very few phones introduced without a removable battery in 2007.

Arrhh, the beauty of software and hardware working together.

17. archer75 macrumors 68020

Sure. Though from what I understand this only started with ios 11? So it's a pretty recent thing. Yes, it would have been good for them to announce the change they made when they did it.

18. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

If that post about a class action is really happening, even though I don’t understand much about class action, I hope consumers affected by this win. People have been changing batteries in their electronics since like the beginning of electronics. Think of Sony Walkman.

Making your device perform worse is not a good solution to needing a new battery.

I can only imagine if I did what I wanted to do:

Buy an att iPhone X 256 GB, with Apple care plus, of course tax, and a few cases.

I would’ve spent like 1500 bucks and feeling incredible regret right now as well as ripped off.

I don’t feel much better about my iPhone 8 tbh but I’m relieved I went with my gut and avoided shelling out the maximum money I could have for these devices.

19. rawCpoppa macrumors 6502

Next time don’t be a fanboy to any company.

20. anonymous guy macrumors 6502a

From what I understand, they did state that performance throttling was put into effect after 10.2.X in response to the faulty battery issue that plagued the 6s.

In a way, it was an effort to avoid the eventual limited battery recall they ended up doing.
    It's also a whammy to people with AppleCare or the limited 1 year warranty.

Even if performance issues persist, your phone battery will still report as "good" in their internal diagnostics test even if you request a replacement battery. You will have to take the $80 out of pocket charge by the time the battery falls below the threshold.

21. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I’m just grateful people are starting to see the light.

We need people to be upset about this feature.

Otherwise nothing will change.

22. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

This happened way before iOS10 and 11. For those of us who owned older model iPhones, we knew Apple was ******** us up with software updates.

23. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

tbh I got the AppleCare plus incase I drop it and it breaks. I didn’t even know battery was covered but ya this whole thing makes me feel ripped off.

24. JFCL macrumors newbie

In typical Apple fashion we will get a small update that says it is making adjustments to further optimize its battery management system. It will help a small number of people and the rest will just get tired of fighting.