Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new job posting on Apple's site suggests that the company is preparing to add still and video camera capabilities to its iPad tablet device in the future. The position is for a quality assurance engineer in the Media Systems division of Apple's broader Interactive Media Group and is specifically focused on the "iPad Media" segment of the division.
The Media Systems team is looking for a software quality engineer with a strong technical background to test still, video and audio capture and playback frameworks. Build on your QA experience and knowledge of digital camera technology (still and video) to develop and maintain testing frameworks for both capture and playback pipelines.
According to the job description, the employee will be responsible for assisting the development team by testing performance of their systems and developing appropriate tools for performing the testing.
Familiarity with and interest in photography, video as well as media file formats is highly desirable. Experience with tuning of and image pipeline, including, but not limited to AWB, Color Correction, AutoExposure, FrameRate adjustments is a plus.
The lack of a camera has been seen by many observers as a significant disappointment for the iPad. It does appear, however, that the iPad's enclosure contains an empty space appropriate for a notebook-style iSight camera, and the resulting speculation has included thoughts that Apple had either planned to offer a camera in the iPad but pulled it for unknown reasons or is still planning to offer one in the shipping version but did not include discussion of it during the device's introduction for similarly unknown reasons.

Article Link: Apple Job Posting Suggests Video Recording Coming to Future iPad Models

pimentoLoaf

Contributor
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Portrait photography will never be the same when one sits before an iPad. Think: live image modification before the shutter snaps and then sends the output to a dye-sub printer for a quick pic check.

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
iPad camera
January 27th, 2009 6:00am

Did you remember to put a camera in this iPad thing guys?

Steve

sent from my iPhone

frjonah

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Almost Heaven... WV
I hope they create the companion iMovie app for the iPad on a similar scale to the iWork apps they unveiled at the Media Event... that could be fun to work with!

I'm sure that I'm overly optimistic, but I'm still holding on to the possibility that the 1st Gen. iPad will have video capabilities as theorized by some MacRumors users who pointed out that the units available for hands-on at the Media Event may have been short-run prototypes. I know that theory is probably dead wrong, but it's kinda fun to hope :)

deputylove8

macrumors regular
if they can fit a cam to Air's screen..surely they can put it on Mr Ipad. Hmm maybe its just marketing strategy.

If one were to make an iPad with a camera at a later date, that will surely
be a pull factor for some to upgrade or even purchase a new iPad.

:D

leandromp

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
THIS IS SO STUPID!.

Haven't they been testing cameras for years now?
mm, Macbook? Macbook Pro? iMacs? iPhones? iPod Nano?

C'mon! stop with the BS and give the people what they want/need, not the things you THINK we may like or need.

We've been asking for a stupid front facing camera for years now, just attach the same crappy camera to the iPad (is not like theres no space) or on the iPhone and people will be happy!

Apple should be embarrassed that their customers are asking for a front facing camera for years!!!

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
More Complicated!

You mean putting camera on iPad is more complicated than putting it on iPhone or iPod Nano? BS!:rolleyes:

laxic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Rumored price drop and adding the camera and I'lll be getting one.

I don't have any other problem with the ipad. I don't use flash on my ipod touch nor do I have a problem with no multitasking.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I believe most of us were able to determine the obvious.

Once they add the camera and a multi-user environment, I'll consider it as a kitchen network device for the family.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Upgrade!

If you released a device with EVERYTHING, who would want to upgrade later?

LOL...

How about a much better camera resolution and higher memory & OLED screen. Isn't that good enough upgrade? Just give us the camera from 1st gen iPhone it's good enough.

jacko331

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Does the Kodak lawsuit have something to do with this?

Hey Mates

I am wondering if the lawsuit Kodak has filed against Apple caused them to pull the camera?

As the ipad is not a phone and could be taken as a photograph device if it shipped.

Regs,
Jacko

Tech-Minded

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
iPad camera
January 27th, 2009 6:00am

Did you remember to put a camera in this iPad thing guys?

Steve

sent from my iPhone

I believe you meant January 27th 2010.

Though it seems compelling that this means the iPad will have a camera, it could mean that the iPad might have photo editing and video editing capabilities.

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
How about a much better camera resolution and higher memory & OLED screen. Isn't that good enough upgrade? Just give us the camera from 1st gen iPhone it's good enough.

Agreed. It doesn't need a great looking camera, just ANYTHING to video chat with.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Is Steve Jobs trying to kill the iPad in its first run? First confirmation the price will go down in short order and now this? Why would anyone buy the first run now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.