Apple Keynote Webcast Delayed

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacCentral reports that earlier rumors that there would be no live broadcast of the MacWorld SF Keynote are true.

In a statement released this morning, Apple confirmed that it will webcast the keynote -- but doesn't plan to do so until 6:00 PM Pacific Time Tuesday, nine full hours after Jobs' keynote is scheduled to begin.
No further details on the delay were given. It's unclear if Apple will allow the press to post live updates of the event.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Edit out all the iTunes commericals and Steve Job bloopers like throwing the camera.

On the bright side, perhaps it will be encoded using the new Quicktime codec and look super sharp with a download option.

isgoed

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
Macrumors said:
nine full hours after Jobs' keynote is scheduled to begin.
That's long!

I don't understand why they are making such a fuzz about it. They should be glad that they have such an enormeous fan-base.

The long delay is probably to put less strain on the servers becuase at that time Europeans are asleep.

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
This is a real bummer, the keynote live is a ritual for the Mac faithful and that means me. :(
It must be related to threats from protesters, thats the only thing I can think of.

johnpaul191

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Philadelphia PA
it often took them a while to post it...... not unusual. the lack of live feed is the unusual part. if nothing else it will save Apple a ton of money. the live stream peaks at some $$$$incredible$$$$ levels. having it posted for people to watch whenever will save the stockholders some money.
hopefully there will be some good live reporters keeping everyone updated.

odd are you'll never know why they didn't have a live feed, but the decision was made weeks ago. it had nothing to do with leaks. they always hire an outside company to produce the live webcast, and reserve all the needed bandwith..... so if they really did pull the plug a few days ago it would be known.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
Maybe since they believe we know everything they plan to show, what need is there to let everyone see live.

Face it people Apple is fickle this way and has always been like this. Nothing is business as usual with them.

Based on other threads it will be interesting to see if any of the rumor sites can post information live as it happens as has been done in the past. Sounds like Apple plans to disable any wireless connections while it is going on. Someone will just have to try to connect to the internet via cell phone.

How many people will be upset they are not the first on their block to have the latest Apple news.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
From Boom! to Boo!

That stinks. I really hope they'll at least allow live newsfeeds. If not, let's boycott Apple!! ;)

Not getting live updates would be like not being able to open presents on Christmas morning, and just getting a list of what your presents were later.

Fortunately, like Doctor Q points out below, we should at least get product info right after the keynote on apple.com. I bet a LOT of people will be hitting "Refresh" on apple.com tomorrow...

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
damn!

sucks, i usually look foreward to this day more than christmas. it reminds me of my own apple version 1950's worlds science fairs. well, at least the sentimant they usually portray it as.
oh well, have to see it later, having already known everything from reading it.
ajk

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
depressed

apple is acting pouty depressed and angry....i remember once when i was trying to get my ibook g3 with logic board failure replaced i talked to someone eventually way up in the company and i threatened to take them to small claims court, and she said that she hated litigious people like myself,

and look at apple now! suing their most loyal fanatics for not being able to control their OWN employees, and DENYING their fanatics what amounts to the best advertising you can get...........(refering to the keynote)......doesn't turn me away..it always has and always will be a soap opera with apple

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I assume that the online Apple Store will have whatever new products and prices there are as soon as the keynote is over, even though the Keynote introductions/explanations of the products won't have been webcast yet.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Oh nice one Apple, was really looking forward to watching this tomorrow some time at least but now i will have to wait till wednesday (here in the Uk i guess that means around 2 a.m wed morning!!) early morning to watch it.
I refuse to believe it is for editing reasons, it hardly takes long to edit a few video clips - not 8 hours!
No G5 powerbook, suing people everywhere and now no live broadcast.
:(.
F**k you Steve and your pretencious friends at Apple - just kidding you know we all adore you really.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Big deal :rolleyes:

New products will reported on by various sources. I can wait until I hear/see it. Unless you're at the keynote, or at an Apple store that would carry the Keynote, there isn't enough bandwith to make streaming watchable.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
bummer...Oh well, I guess I'll just have to check it out later on...Although the site will probably be bogged down to all hell.

Can't wait to see what will be released!

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
I think iPod Shuffle is a great name and here is why. Remember
when the original iPod.....

wait.....

am I in the right place......

I'm on MacRumors overload.......

jdawg4324

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2005
Turlock CA
messed up

I bet apple will even have stuff set up to block cell phone reception. I have seen products that will do this. Apple is really afraid it seems to have any news coming out. If they could get away will cancelling the show they would IMHO. They seem to be trapped and how they decided to take care of it is to minimize the after effect of the crowd.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
yeah not cool, but hey, it'll give me time to get all that hw done, then i can kick back and watch without having to worry about ne thing ;)