Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
This is actually kind of funny for me. Back in November I purchased a beautiful condition iPad 4 32 GB + Cellular for a remarkable $400 (the Air just launched a month prior). At first I thought the company made a mistake and sent me a brand new one just out of the box; but they didn't and I was ecstatic. That device was valued at $729... It's just funny because people were selling those models left and right because that "dramatically thinner and cooler" iPad had made its debut. Honestly, I thought it was done for as well. That's why I got it. Having the absolute newest tablet isn't my forte, but now it's back on the table. Just goes to show you don't have to rush out and buy something on day one just because it's DAY ONE. :D

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
upsell all you want but what difference does the 2nd cheapest phone have to do with upseling you to a 5s? they have a hard enough time selling the 5c without trying to have one 5c upsell you the next 5c.

I was just proposing a hypothesis.

If you're gonna pay $XXX for the base-model 5C... it's only a little more money for an upgraded 5C.

But then it's only a little more money for the 5S

Clearly that's happening already... look at how much more the 5S sells than all the other iPhones on the market today.

The 5S is Apple's best selling iPhone.

People look past the 4S... and they look past the 5C... and select the 5S.

btw to you post above its an apple fail not an exchange rate fail.

You must have missed the smiley :D

Relax dude... you're taking this waaay too seriously.

i realize what this thread is about but perhaps you realize (or not) that this is a thread of discussion where ideas and points of views are expressed. if you understand that then you should understand where £200-300 comes from.

no of course £200-300 is not reasonable while the models around it are kept at the same price. did you honestly think i was proposing that or did you expect me attach a complete revised price list for iphones to my post?

Honestly i don't know what you meant with the £200-300 thing.

Your earlier post said "but not for people that can only and were only thinking about spending £200-300 which is while still decent amount of money is more reasonable for this phone."

It really does sound like you're saying £200-300 is reasonable for the 8GB 5C

You might need to explain that a little better.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think you've over simplified your rounding up and down in that list. The step between the 8 GB 5C and the 16 GB 5C in the UK is nowhere near €100.

It's more like...

€417 iPhone 4S
€512 iPhone 5C 8 GB
€560 iPhone 5C 16 GB
€655 iPhone 5S 16 GB
€751 iPhone 5S 32 GB
€847 iPhone 5S 32 GB

A: Your prices are totally wrong and:
B: Why the HELL are you using the Euro sign there? Since when has the UK had the Euro as it's currency?

Shameful....

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
The iPad 4 pricing is perfect for what it is. They've got that right.

The 5C pricing is pointless though. Who do they think is going to buy something that's only £40 cheaper, but with half the capacity. It should have been £369 replacing the 4S entirely. Coming in under £400 for a 2013 iPhone model have got them in to the UK PAYG market, and therefore made them more accessible to a younger generation.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Well I didn't know that. Thanks.

Does it act like native memory - or do you have to access it via a dedicated app?

Edit: I checked their website. It uses an app - just like all the other iPod/iPad/iPhone add-on storage devices.

That said, the all-in-one form factor is very appealing. And as long as the app is easy to use it could be quite a successful product. I can see it being a huge threat to Apple if it encourages folks move their media out of iTunes and into third party apps. About time.

(It's a shame Mophie didn't put a micro SD slot in their case. That would've been perfect)

backup

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
At least they didn't place that in the front page! But it could've been hilarious:

Get the brand new iPhone: cheaper, slower, smaller!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
A: Your prices are totally wrong and:
B: Why the HELL are you using the Euro sign there? Since when has the UK had the Euro as it's currency?

Shameful....

I was replying to another post that was using the Euro.

And my prices are direct Pound to Euro conversions and are not totally wrong.

backup

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Maybe that's a new strategy based on how competitors are ripping-off Apple ideas. Now all other phone makers will release lower-spec phones and Apple will have time to become the leader again...

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I was just proposing a hypothesis.

If you're gonna pay $XXX for the base-model 5C... it's only a little more money for an upgraded 5C.

But then it's only a little more money for the 5S

Clearly that's happening already... look at how much more the 5S sells than all the other iPhones on the market today.

The 5S is Apple's best selling iPhone.

People look past the 4S... and they look past the 5C... and select the 5S.

You must have missed the smiley :D

Relax dude... you're taking this waaay too seriously.

Honestly i don't know what you meant with the £200-300 thing.

Your earlier post said "but not for people that can only and were only thinking about spending £200-300 which is while still decent amount of money is more reasonable for this phone."

It really does sound like you're saying £200-300 is reasonable for the 8GB 5C

You might need to explain that a little better.

i saw the smiley. apologize if i misconstrued you feelings though. should have perhaps added a smiley as well. am very relaxed.

were those people every seriously considering anything but the 5s? the fact that apple has millions in 5c stock does not indicate its just there to guide you towards the 5s. you think they have this tumblr campaign for the 5c to upsell you to the 5s?

well first of all i think 8 gig for a smartphone is borderline useless in this day and age. and yes i do think that is a more reasonable price range for that particular model however to add to your previous post on the prices of the other models i have felt the 5c prices have been nonsense since the beginning. so to expand more on that i think apple is losing (and that concerns me) hell of a lot of customers with their pricing.

my personal feeling is this is apple try to get rid of stock and actually sell this phone and i said in another thread i find this (gutting its capacity) as a rather desperate attempt at lowering the price. its not like you can really take advantage of the ecosystem with this capacity so why not get a moto?

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Remember when Apple used to add a higher capacity option mid-cycle? We're making so much progress now!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
What do you make of the 5C UK pricing Olly?

Personally I think it was overpriced from day one and the 8 GB version doesn't fix that. I don't think it's a bad phone but Apple pricing their phones to fit the US contact price points (4S-$0, 5C-$99, 5S-$199) has made it too expensive for what it is.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
8GB? Seriously?

Releasing anything, especially a Smartphone, with 8GB in 2014 should be considered a crime.

You don't get it. For people who want a phone with iOS and don't need the phone to be smart, an 8GB iPhone is great. My iPhone 1 is 8GB and it does me just fine. The cost for the 8GB 5c to be just a phone might be still a little high though.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
Don't understand all of the hate towards the 5C. I own a space gray 5S and a coworker of mine owns a white 5C and every time I see him using it, I have this strange desire to hold it and use it. It feels fantastic in your hand (like a piano key) and if I didn't have a 5S and the 5C had all of the specs of a 5S, I think I'd opt for a white one myself!

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
You don't get it. For people who want a phone with iOS and don't need the phone to be smart, an 8GB iPhone is great. My iPhone 1 is 8GB and it does me just fine. The cost for the 8GB 5c to be just a phone might be still a little high though.

why would you want a phone with ios if you cant really use the much admired ios? the space required for ota, size of pics and video the phone takes. to me a smartphone in this capacity dosent make any sense in 2014

do i understand you correctly that you are still using your original iphone 8 gig?

Don't understand all of the hate towards the 5C. I own a space gray 5S and a coworker of mine owns a white 5C and every time I see him using it, I have this strange desire to hold it and use it. It feels fantastic in your hand (like a piano key) and if I didn't have a 5S and the 5C had all of the specs of a 5S, I think I'd opt for a white one myself!

if you look closer you will see most of the "hate" comes from the pricing then i would a smaller portion due to the plastic and colors but change the pricing and that hate would mostly turn to love

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.