Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
"Apple will launch products in new categories and the company is working on "really great stuff", according to an interview with CEO Tim Cook in The Wall Street Journal this evening.

He demurred when asked about specific possible products, but said anyone "reasonable" would consider Apple's upcoming products to be in new categories."

Since we're going back in time - how about a 17" MBP?
Chill, dude. It's only March.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Its a good move.
you can select a cheap model and for few bucks, get a much better deal!
So everyone is happy

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

RIP iPad 2 (still serving my mom well.)

Glad the 4 is back. Better value for the $ so when her 2 goes kaput, I know what the replacement will be. She prefers the bigger screen.

Everyone else pretty much summed up the 5c 8GB. :eek:

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
if you look closer you will see most of the "hate" comes from the pricing then i would a smaller portion due to the plastic and colors but change the pricing and that hate would mostly turn to love

I hear ya. But I'm referring to more than just this thread. I understand the hate on those fugly Croc Cases, but the phone itself is a beautiful design.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Yeah I dunno.

Apple has done what they've always done... offer last year's hardware at $100 less than the current flagship model.

Only this time... they put it in a plastic case. You're still getting the same hardware as the iPhone 5 would have been... and some people actually like the fun colors.

But yeah... that experiment didn't work as planned (as per the articles... which aren't 100% proven)

But despite that... Apple sold more iPhones than they ever sold before! Even with the seemingly "failed" 5C.

So... they're not losing as many customers as you think.

And don't forget... 8GB iPhones have been around for years. It's not some new idea.

It's usually been reserved for the two-year-old model... but now you can get a 5C in 8GB capacity too.

That doesn't mean you HAVE to buy it... the 16GB 5C is still available at the same price it's been for the last 6 months.

And you gotta remember... you and I are on a tech forum right now. We are not the average consumer.

Anyone who is interested in the 5C... and an 8GB 5C at that... is probably not a power-user like you and I.

They won't have tons of apps and games. This might even be their first iPhone.

Is 8GB borderline useless? It's no more useless than the 8GB iPhone 4S... the 8GB iPhone 4... or the 8GB iPhone 3GS... etc. Some people just don't need a lot of storage.

And if you do... there are iPhones with higher capacities.

well apple i believe isnt breaking down 5s and 5c sales so thats the only info we have. and adding this new version i think it points to one conclusion but thats just my view.

their increased sales though are because the market has been increasing. % wise they are losing marketshare.

yes i know an 8 gig has been around for years. thats kinda my point. lets move on. as i said in post above i find offering future limiting capacity a bad way of offering an entry phone.

as you can see in that same post from me above ive been getting by on an 8 gig phone since 2007 though i believe it has pretty much limited my use to more of a glorified feature phone.

as for non techie users i can name two people. my mom (65) but she is game, news and music crazy. 8 gig would never be enough for her. hell she got upset when one of the weather apps decided to decrease their appsize and cut out the animations. then there is my sister who admittedly dosent use apps and games much but takes a lot of pics and videos and has to have every one of them on the iphone so obviously shes grown out of a 16 gig.

however im not saying they represent a larger pool of people but just two examples.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
The 5C failed because for $100 more you could get the S.

Then AT&T and a few other carriers offered the 5S for $100 off before the holidays and now have the $100 promo again by adding a new line.

So why buy a 5C when you can get the 5S for the same price?

The 5C should've been free to begin with and with 32GB entry instead of 16GB.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
RIP iPad 2 (still serving my mom well.)

Glad the 4 is back. Better value for the $ so when her 2 goes kaput, I know what the replacement will be. She prefers the bigger screen.

Just remember that if her iPad 2 dies, you can buy an "out of warranty replacement" for probably half the price.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

Haha, how is it "greed" to simply introduce an additional spec of an existing model? Can't you just choose not to buy it? You act like Apple is shipping these out automatically to everyone with an Apple ID and billing their credit card. I agree it would be silly to buy it, but that isn't the same thing. Actually I think it's silly to buy anything but the high end model if you're talking $100 extra initially but are signing a 2 year contract that adds up to ~$2000.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
As an iPad 2 owner, I'm sort of glad Apple is finally giving me a real reason to upgrade to a newer model - retina display, faster processor, some OS features, etc were all super nice, but not show-stopping reasons.

And since it's likely the iPad 2 won't be on iOS 8's support list, being left behind is truly the reason I was waiting for to look at newer models.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
I am really confused as to why ANYONE would consider the iPad 2 or even now the iPad 4 at the $399 price point. We have stores locally (and you can find deals all day online) for the Air for $459, sometimes even less.

To those who are looking at the 4, if you have a local Microcenter they are always selling it discounted at $459. You'd be crazy not to just drop another $60 and get a drastically upgraded model.

Haha, how is it "greed" to simply introduce an additional spec of an existing model? Can't you just choose not to buy it? You act like Apple is shipping these out automatically to everyone with an Apple ID and billing their credit card. I agree it would be silly to buy it, but that isn't the same thing. Actually I think it's silly to buy anything but the high end model if you're talking $100 extra initially but are signing a 2 year contract that adds up to ~$2000.

No I'd say this boils right down to greed. The parts in the phone are "old" by tech standards, offering 8GB for internal memory is a money grab and nothing else considering how much flash memory actually costs.

Oh well, I hope Apple shoots themselves in the foot over and over, eventually bring the zealots down a notch or two.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
8GB? Seriously?

Releasing anything, especially a Smartphone, with 8GB in 2014 should be considered a crime.

Agreed with the chips so cheap the min size should be 32, why does Apple even re-mfg these 16gb phones with 8gb, you can not do anything with 8gb.

I could see if they made the unit like 12.5gb so after OS and junk you had 8GB free but seriously Apple make the 32 the base with the new iPhones, stop being cheesy with us.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Apple should have released an 8GB iPhone 5c on Day One

I've read many of the derogatory comments in this thread around Apple releasing an 8 GB iPhone. These are misguided, IMHO. Purchasers, more often than not, fall into one of two buckets: "Got to have it all" or "low price". The 16 GB 5c didn't fall into either of these and I think that's why sales were well below Apple's initial expectations. Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken Apple this long to recognize this and adjust. Releasing a lower cost 5c will increase the price disparity with the 5s and make it more viable alternative to the flagship for a segment of potential users.

For reference -- I have an 8 GB 4s for work (waiting on that bigger screen!) and still have over 2 GB free.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I've read many of the derogatory comments in this thread around Apple releasing an 8 GB iPhone. These are misguided, IMHO. Purchasers, more often than not, fall into one of two buckets: "Got to have it all" or "low price". The 16 GB 5c didn't fall into either of these and I think that's why sales were well below Apple's initial expectations. Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken Apple this long to recognize this and adjust.

For reference -- I have an 8 GB 4s for work (waiting on that bigger screen!) and still have over 2 GB free.

and it still falls into neither of those buckets.

one has to wonder though if the c model/brand does continue will they release it with 8 gig in fall of 2014?

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Given that they probably will annex iPad 4 again half year later and replace it with iPad Air first generation, I think people with iPad 2 should just wait for other half year then upgrade to iPad Air for same price.

Though I am usi iPad 3, but I already have iPad mini 2. I could not find any justification for our purchasing iPad 4 this time around... Maybe I would upgrade to iPad Air half years later :p

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
They need to lower the price of the existing 5c models, not just provide a lower price stripped down model.

Good move for the iPad 4, but they should have done that in the first place. Must have had lots of iPad 2 inventory to move first and didn't want it competing at same price point.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Let's face it: the 5c has been a failure and the pricing is laughable. A 8 GB version won't change that. Sheesh, even a low end USB stick offers more storage space.

I disagree that the 5C has been a failure. At least around here, I'm seeing them pop up all over, and a lot of my long time android-only friends are switching to the 5C. It also helps that US Cellular has been offering them for a penny, of course. I haven't seen sales numbers for the 5C, and they're probably modest, but they've been a real hit around here and are accomplishing exactly what Apple wanted.

That being said, releasing an 8gb model is kind of silly. Like I said, the 5C is already being sold for a penny w/contracts at US Cellular, and some other retailers/providers. Ipad 4 replacing the iPad 2 is kind of a no brainer and should have been done last year. This gets them closer to a retina-only product lineup - iPad mini 1st gen being the last, I think?

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
<UK> I was told today that today is the last day to buy ipad2, tomorrow it's all iPad 4.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Please let us know, in detail, how this article describes Apple innovating.

Apple is innovation way to Nikki more money from people as hard as they can. Seriously... iPhone 5C 8G price is beyond stupid.

Look at 8GB phone from competitors: Nokia Lumia 612 for around $100 in Canada, Moto G for $150 to $200 in Canada. Pricing at 429€ is beyond rip off...

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
whats funny is the brand new 16 gig samsung s5 only has 8.4 gig of available space without an additional sd card, which now thanks to kit kat cant be used by apps

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
now this is a very stupid decision apple.

The iPhone cannot work on on 8 GB will affect user experience and drive people away from maybe their first experience.

Why can't it. Not everyone gets an iPhone to take tons of photos and keep them on the phone. Not everyone is a teenage girl and has to retain 10000 texts.

And an 8gb 5C has a better processor than an 8gb 4s so it runs the newer iOS better, making a better experience for customers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.