Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

092119-apple_bts_2010.jpg

As predicted in a brief note yesterday, Apple has launched its annual "Back to School" promotion targeted at college and university students in the U.S. and Canada. The promotion offers customers qualifying to purchase through the company's education channel in those countries rebates of up to US$199 or C$219 for the purchase of a qualifying Mac and iPod on the same sales receipt.

New standard and build-to-order configurations of all Macs except the Mac mini qualify for the purposes of the offer, with a variety of rebates available for various iPod models. Refurbished Macs and iPods are not eligible for the offer, and no rebates are available for iPhone or iPad purchases.

Maximum U.S rebate amounts:

- iPod touch: $199
- iPod classic 160 GB: $199
- iPod nano 16 GB: $179
- iPod nano 8 GB: $149
- iPod shuffle 4 GB (stainless steel): $99
- iPod shuffle 4 GB: $79

The promotion runs through September 7th, 2010, and customers are limited to five rebates per household. Full details on the program are available in the Terms and Conditions for programs in the U.S. and Canada.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Back to School' Promo: Free iPod With Mac Purchase for Students

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Yeah you would think as the iPad could possibly replace all of your text books in college/high school. Maybe one of these years....

It's the possibly part that's a problem. As long as books aren't available on it, you won't see widespread use. If there's no widespread use, what's the rush in making books for it. Chicken and egg.

And who wants to get to class, start a lecture only to find out their battery died and they can't anote their electronic book anymore. Paper never runs out of battery.

Kevin 177

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Can you use the $199 off towards purchasing a $299 ipod touch? Or do they only let you get certain products?

Yeah that's what they've done previously. You can't use it on any product (e.g. ipad) but you should be able to use it towards any ipod touch

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

KnightWRX said:
Yeah you would think as the iPad could possibly replace all of your text books in college/high school. Maybe one of these years....

It's the possibly part that's a problem. As long as books aren't available on it, you won't see widespread use. If there's no widespread use, what's the rush in making books for it. Chicken and egg.

And who wants to get to class, start a lecture only to find out their battery died and they can't anote their electronic book anymore. Paper never runs out of battery.

ipad's battery lasts a long time. Many people would gladly risk the battery dying to condense 20 lbs. of texts down to a 1.5 lb. ipad.

I'm assuming there's no discount on the ipad beacuse they're selling them as fast as they van make them anyway.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Why is the Mac mini not eligible? I know at least last year it wasn't, either, but still...sad face.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
ipad's battery lasts a long time.

Only if you remembered to plug it in. Heck, my phone lasts a long time and I've had times when I got to work without the charger and found out that it had 5% charge left.

You haven't convinced me. I'd still rather have the paper book with me.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Can you use the $199 off towards purchasing a $299 ipod touch? Or do they only let you get certain products?

looks like this year you have to buy the 8GB Touch. they are probably killing the model and need to get rid of it.

i was going to buy a new iphone for the wife next few months and give her 3G to our son who will be 3 in a few months. but might take advantage of this.

bpfesq

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
Omnipresent
Only if you remembered to plug it in. Heck, my phone lasts a long time and I've had times when I got to work without the charger and found out that it had 5% charge left.

You haven't convinced me. I'd still rather have the paper book with me.

Used my iPad on and off for a couple days now--forgot to charge it last night.

82% remaining.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.