Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Launches 'iAd Producer' Tool

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has just launched a new software tool called iAd Producer (via MacStories).
iAd Producer makes it easy for you to design and assemble high-impact, interactive content for iAd. iAd Producer automatically manages the HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript behind your iAd to make creating beautiful, motion-rich iAd content as easy as point and click.
The tool is available for members of the iOS developer program and significantly opens up the iAd creation. While Apple's iAds have generally been seen as a success, the slow content creation process has been cited as significant hurdle for some of their early partners.

Apple's choice to use HTML5 for iAd creation has likely been part of this issue as the tools have not been as mature as those for Adobe Flash. iAd Producer offers visual layout and design with Page Templates, Pre-built animations/effects, advanced Javascript editing and more.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'iAd Producer' Tool

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
This could be a precursor to apple simply releasing an HTML/CSS/JS editor, which is a more interesting idea than iAds.

Comment

blackstatic

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2010
Yes let's make it easier to make those things I ignor and acidently tap on from time to time :apple::mad:

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I was thinking the other day if Apple can't "justify" resources for the Pro tools team to build the kick ass HTML 5/JS/CSS 3 editor that everyone wants then surely their must be a case for the iAd team to make one.

I really hope this is the start of something big rather than a single purpose tool for adverts.

Comment

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
wow

This looks nice, it's really amazing to see Apple create their own software like that. Feels like senior managers kept arguing about how to do this right and Jobs just stood up and said: "Just create our own software for this"

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I really hope this is the start of something big rather than a single purpose tool for adverts.

Yes, let's hope Apple won't stop here.

This could grow into a Dreamweaver-like* Mac program if they keep at it. Here's hoping!

* (Well, probably more like Flash (the creator, not the viewer) than Dreamweaver, but you get the idea.)

Comment

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Yes let's make it easier to make those things I ignor and acidently tap on from time to time :apple::mad:

I actually click on them from time to time. The other day I clicked on the GE one and it was probably the most bizarre thing ever. It had some interaction followed by singing. It is really weird lol

Comment

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World

This could grow into a Dreamweaver-like* Mac program if they keep at it. Here's hoping!

* (Well, probably more like Flash (the creator, not the viewer) than Dreamweaver, but you get the idea.)

Or a better iWeb (or what iWeb should have been ;))
One can dream!

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
This could be a precursor to apple simply releasing an HTML/CSS/JS editor, which is a more interesting idea than iAds.

I was thinking the other day if Apple can't "justify" resources for the Pro tools team to build the kick ass HTML 5/JS/CSS 3 editor that everyone wants then surely their must be a case for the iAd team to make one.

Yes! Could we use this tool to make websites? If not, I really hope Apple will make a tool that would allow really cool HTML5 content creation, to truly compete with Flash.

Comment

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Nice! I hope Apple sees that this has greater potential then just an iAd development tool.. designers have been wanting a js visual editor for a long time now.. well at least this designers has wanted one.. could one buy into the development program and use this to make web content?

Comment

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

Yes! Could we use this tool to make websites? If not, I really hope Apple will make a tool that would allow really cool HTML5 content creation, to truly compete with Flash.

That'd be pretty funny. It would almost be the ultimate irony that Apple pushes out a DIY HTML5 editor for the masses (which, if it's like iWeb might as well be the death of HTML5 "standards") in order to kill "buggy, non-standards compliant Flash." What a joke.

Comment

KernelG

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
Or a better iWeb (or what iWeb should have been ;))
One can dream!

Indeed. I could see this quickly spilling into an iTunes LP/Extras editor for labels and studios, where HTML5 is the ticket but adoption is extremely underwhelming. Then migrating it into iWeb could be close behind that. As someone who has spent much time parsing their impressive-yet-obtuse iTunes LP templates, I'd be all over this like orange on cheddar.

Comment

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

miles01110 said:

That'd be pretty funny. It would almost be the ultimate irony that Apple pushes out a DIY HTML5 editor for the masses (which, if it's like iWeb might as well be the death of HTML5 "standards") in order to kill "buggy, non-standards compliant Flash." What a joke.

If Apple releases a tool for creating HTML5 that's nothing like Flash since HTML5 is an open standard, Flash is not.

Comment

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
ok, so has anyone actually found this on ADC yet? or is it only open to paid members?

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Yes this could be cool for an iWeb successor of sorts if it happens, but I am happy to see another glimpse of what is coming with 10/7 Lion with this app :)

I am liking the way Lion's UI is taking shape :)

Comment

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If Apple releases a tool for creating HTML5 that's nothing like Flash since HTML5 is an open standard, Flash is not.

I think it was a jab at iWeb, not Flash. iWeb is not the greatest thing in the world. Regardless, i like Flux just fine. (which is to say, I probably would not use an apple dreamweaver anyway. it would, in all likelihood, handhold too much and fall into the same bog that iWeb fell into.)

Comment

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
While it would be cool to see this in a consumer product, there are a few key differences that would put it a ways out, if at all.

1. Budget. They can justify this because it brings in revenue from more ad agencies. This is probably a well known metric because they can survey the audience easily and estimate demand.

2. Quality standards.
No one is going to give Apple crap if this piece of software isn't perfectly polished. No one is going to really write a review. No one is going to care if there is a security hole in it. Unless there is a major issue, bug fixes can come whenever.

3. Feature set.
This has a single defined and limited task. If Apple expanded this to a full featured product for the consuming masses, the amount of consumer driven goals the product would need to accomplish would grow exponentially.

4. Risk.
All the reasons above combine into a very low risk "product" for a company. A full fledged consumer product is inherently more risky for a number of different reasons.

So, I'd like to see a consumer product. I'd like to think this is a sign Apple is interested in it. But there is a lot more to it than a few more hours by an SE to realize this kind of software.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.