Apple Launches iPhone 8 Logic Board Repair Program

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 31, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced the launch of a new logic board repair program, which will see the company offering free repairs for iPhone 8 models that are affected by an issue that can cause restarts, freezing, and unresponsive devices.

According to Apple, a "very small percentage" of iPhone 8 devices have logic boards with a manufacturing defect that are eligible for a free repair.

[​IMG]

To check if you have an iPhone 8 that can be repaired under this new repair program, Apple has created a website where your serial number can be entered.

Apple says that affected units were sold between September 2017 and March 2018 in China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Macau, New Zealand, and the U.S.

The problem does not affect the iPhone 8 Plus or other iPhone models, so it's just select iPhone 8 models that are eligible for a free fix.

Customers who do have an eligible device can make an appointment at an Apple retail store, contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or arrange for mail-in service through Apple Support.

Apple says that repairs may be restricted to the original country or region of purchase, and customers who are affected are recommended to back up their iPhone to iTunes or iCloud before seeking a repair.

An iPhone 8 that has damage that impairs the ability to complete the logic board repair, such as a cracked screen, will need to be fixed prior to Apple providing service.

The new iPhone 8 Logic Board Repair Program covers affected iPhone 8 devices for three years after the first retail sale of the unit.

Article Link: Apple Launches iPhone 8 Logic Board Repair Program

2. mi7chy, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018

mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

3. netdudeuk macrumors regular

4. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Well, that sucks for iPhone 8 owners. Apple had a full plate last year to scale though with 3 models. I didn’t buy my iPhone X until March of this year. It’s always best to wait out a bit.

5. gijoeinla, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2018

gijoeinla macrumors 6502a

Um yea, I’d say they sold about a good 100 million at least.

6. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

When I rapidly press my volume buttons, my iPhone 8 restarts. Its serial number isn't on the list for this program, though.

7. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Yet those with an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus with the Audio IC issue after 11.3 are still stuck making speakerphone calls only that hardly work. Nice.

8. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

iPhone 6 = Touch Disease
    iPhone 7 = Loop Disease
    iPhone 8 = Logic Board Replacement
    iPhone X = ?

9. Alphazoid macrumors 6502a

Alphazoid

Price

10. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Correct. And Apple has the very best customer service and repair in the industry. Good of you to recognize.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2018 ---
    Very funny for those who try to cast this in a negative light. This is Apple taking care of it's customers. They do so better than any company in the industry.

11. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

12. jona2125 macrumors 6502

On my fourth replacement for in store verified lock ups and unresponsiveness

13. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

14. lkrupp Suspended

As Apple states it's a manufacturing problem, not a design problem, and it affects a very small number of devices manufactured with in a specific time frame. It has nothing to do with the iPhone X. What do you not understand about this other than your effort to mislead people?

15. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Apple needs to have a management shakedown. There have been large mistakes in general engineering of products across the last few years. MacBook Pro-gate is still going this summer, what next with iPhone Xs-onward? Testing has not been thorough enough for a white-glove corp. like Apple.

16. bfreek macrumors member

there‘s much to bitch about apple (iphone se 2, heh, HEH?!) but what i really love and don‘t see others doing are their extended repair programs once they isolated root causes and manufactured batches. they may be slow at this but they eventually come through.

though i‘ve had an ordeal with apple last year when i needed to burn through ALL support channels and 7 geniuses at the local store trying to rip me off hard until i was able to talk to the „chief technician“ who told me „no, that phone is not bend. yes, that display is loose. what? the collegue used this wooden-surface table to demonstrate that it is bend to say it‘s your fault? they need re-instruction. i‘m really sorry you had to go through all this. this device is in pristine condition, no drop marks or scratches. you‘ll just get a new one.“

17. rturner2 macrumors 6502a

This happens to my iPad Pro. Screen touch freezes up for a couple of seconds.

18. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

19. lkrupp Suspended

Well, that's the point of the MacRumors comment section denizens. The whole idea is to spread misinformation, put a negative spin on everything, make false claims and assertions, try to convince people that 2+2=5, and in general trash Apple at every opportunity. That's what this place has become and its reputation is spreading as a laughing stock.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2018 ---
    I have an iPhone 8 and have not experienced this issue. Like you, this is the first I've heard of it. It apparently has flown under the radar of every Apple tech blog out there.

20. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

only if you're holding it wrong.

21. anshuvorty macrumors 6502a

anshuvorty

I have an iPhone 7. Am I affected by this and should I go to the Apple Store right now to get my phone repaired?

Thanks!

22. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

Every iPhone 8 sold is still under warranty. Within this warranty period, Apple replace devices without much hesitation. Aging defects like this don't gain attention until the warranty is over and people start noticing a pattern.

23. puma1552 macrumors 601

I've literally never heard of this issue?? Surprised there isn't a huge thread.

Thankfully mine is not affected per the serial number.

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

First I've heard of it. Of course, these things tend to get blown out of proportion.

25. LogicalApex macrumors member

I think they are doing a good job launching repair programs to address issues like this while the wider industry ignores them. Typically in the tech industry when they notice widespread defects like this they ignore them until the warranties run out on devices. If a user finds it under warranty they swap with a refurb and rinse and repeat. Since the warranties in the US are a year they profit on the upgrade once the user gets frustrated enough.

You don't see less of these by competitors because they are doing a better job at manufacturing you see less of it as they don't care about their customers.