MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

085947-itunes_movies_france.jpg

Apple today announced the launch of movie downloads for its iTunes Stores in France and Ireland. The offerings include both purchases and rentals and come from major studios such as 20th Century Fox, MGM, Paramount, Sony, Universal, Disney, and Warner Brothers, as well as smaller European-focused studios.
iTunes movies start at €7.99 for catalog title purchases, €9.99 for recent releases and €13.99 for new releases. iTunes Movie Rentals are €2.99 for library title rentals and €3.99 for new releases, and high definition versions are priced at just one euro more.
Apple's movie rental program allows users 30 days from the time of payment in which to watch content, although once a movie has been started, customers have 48 hours to complete their viewing.

Apple launched movie purchases through the iTunes Store in the U.S. with Disney in late 2006, and has expanded both its content and geographic reach over the years. iTunes Store movie rentals first appeared in the U.S. in early 2008.

Article Link: Apple Launches iTunes Store Movie Downloads in France and Ireland

andyone

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Can we please finally get features like in DVD releases (subtitles, multiple audio tracks)?

Comment

MadCow42

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Different terms than USA?

The USA rentals expire 24 hours after you start viewing, not 48 hours...

The problem with 24 is that you can't split watching a movie into two evenings - unless you start earlier on the second night. If you have a routine of putting the kids down, and starting up a movie for an hour or so at a specific time, you're screwed.

For a lark, last week I sent sjobs an email asking for them to consider at least 26 hours for this specific reason. Maybe he listened. :)

MadCow.

Comment

iMat77

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ticino, Switzerland
Yeeeaahhh

Finally.

I bet AppleTV is not going to be a hobby much longer now. App store, content available in more countries, new CPU design possibilities in house...

Anyway. Any info about which languages the movies will be available in? Only French (talking about France, of course) or also original english version?

I am looking forward for the movies to be available in Switzerland as well (someone anticipated me on that). But the prices seem quite different from the US iTunes store...

Anyway, better than nothing. Now let's see how long it takes for other countries to join in as well. And watch which impact it might have on iPad and AppleTV sales (hoping a new version of the AppleTV is on its way, since mine is becoming the oldest Apple device in the house...)

Comment

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
What about Québec? Yes I know we already got movies too. But so far there's no sign of any french offerings or even french audio tracks or at least french subtitles. Region 1 DVDs often have both of those, why can't the movies in the iTunes Store also have them?

There's a french-Canadian section for music (even a free single of the week in french too, so if you're bilingual that means two free songs every week!), so why no french movies yet?

I always prefer to watch movies in their original language, however sometimes some actors have thick accents and I would need subtitles to actually understand what they're saying.

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Still no iTunes in Central Europe... They are actually against European law and they don't give a ****.

What part of Central Europe? I'm in Hungary, which is officially Central Europe, and we have had iTunes for about a year now.

Comment

hofer

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Missing Titles

I wish Apple would devote more efforts into building a more complete catalogue. Every time I hear of a great movie, I go to my AppleTV to look for it in the Itunes (US) store, but way to often I am being disappointed by its absence.

Apple could be a major player in the movie rental business, but without a better catalogue they are going nowhere.

Comment

crobi

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
What about Québec? Yes I know we already got movies too. But so far there's no sign of any french offerings or even french audio tracks or at least french subtitles. Region 1 DVDs often have both of those, why can't the movies in the iTunes Store also have them?

There's a french-Canadian section for music (even a free single of the week in french too, so if you're bilingual that means two free songs every week!), so why no french movies yet?

I always prefer to watch movies in their original language, however sometimes some actors have thick accents and I would need subtitles to actually understand what they're saying.

I got a contact of me that said Apple want to concentrate to bring film location in europe before giving french speaking film in Québec, so when you have new film store in europe we can think the french version of the film is coming closer.

Vient voir l'histoire sur Macquébec tu en saura plus long.

http://www.macquebec.com/spip.php?article5293&var_recherche=film en français

Comment

crobi

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
Are (originally) English language films dubbed, or subtitled on these stores?

Yes in France you have the choice of two audio, original audio or French, you can switch to one to the other during you listen to the movie like a DVD or Blue-Ray

Comment

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Yes in France you have the choice of two audio, original audio or French, you can switch to one to the other during you listen to the movie like a DVD or Blue-Ray

Great! I hope Italy gets a store soon...

Comment

AAPLove

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
Finally..............
Movies have been available for ages in the US. Nice of them to finally think of us poor Irish

Comment

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I don't see why the rentals have to expire after 24 hours, I mean I know it's exactly the same way with videos on demand from verizon, but dam!!! I vote for 72 hours before they expire!!

Comment

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Pretty amazed that you guys and girls in France, Ireland and yes Belgium didn't have this already.

We've had it for a while here yet but thought we'd be behind you in the list.

Comment

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Can we please finally get features like in DVD releases (subtitles, multiple audio tracks)?

+1. In addition to the multiple language audio tracks, I'd LOVE to see commentary included as an audio track. These won't make the file much larger, as it's just the audio, not video. This is what I miss most about most DVDs. I love hearing the producers and actors talk about making a film. This is missing from stuff I buy on itunes.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.