Apple Launches New iCloud for Windows App in Microsoft Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:28 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today introduced a new iCloud for Windows app designed for PCs, according to a blog post shared by Microsoft. The new app is designed to allow Apple users to access their iCloud content on their Windows 10 PCs.

The iCloud app for Windows includes iCloud Drive, iCloud Photos, Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Safari Bookmarks, and more.

[​IMG]
    According to Microsoft, the iCloud Drive feature on Windows is powered by the same Windows technology behind the OneDrive Files On-Demand Feature, which lets users be more productive offline on mobile devices and quickly share files on iOS.

[​IMG]

Apple has a support document for getting started with iCloud for Windows, which basically requires having an existing iCloud setup on an Apple device.

[​IMG]

Windows users can download iCloud for Windows from the Microsoft Store starting today.

Article Link: Apple Launches New iCloud for Windows App in Microsoft Store

2. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

I'm sure apple isnt giving 30% of iCloud subscription fees to MS

3. Tapatio macrumors newbie

iCloud for windows never synced my documents that I already had in icloud to my PC. I hope this one works

4. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

aww that's like having a mercedes keychain on toyota keys)

5. e1me5 macrumors 6502

e1me5

6. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

wait, this looks like the old icloud app. how is it any different besides the new icloud drive engine?

7. ersan191 macrumors 65816

This appears to be identical to the old one. I guess it's on Microsoft store so it's self contained like their iTunes is?

8. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I am already running this app, what's the difference? I'll just stick to the software downloaded from Apple.com.

9. zunamo macrumors newbie

Which one is the mercedes, iCloud??:eek:

10. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Yeah, the article should at least nod towards the prior existence of iCloud for Windows.

What's certainly new is that they've made it available from the Windows Store. In that context, they probably had to make some sandboxing adjustments and the like.

But maybe this comes with added features?

Is that new?

(I hope it works better than OneDrive does for me. I edit a file in macOS, save it, go to Windows, and… don't see it for several minutes. Both OneDrive clients say they're up-to-date.)

11. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

visually, yes, duhh. or do you fancy the windows aesthetic?..

12. thornburg macrumors newbie

Even if it turns out this isn't really much new, I'm glad for the article, because I didn't know iCloud for Windows was a thing, and I recently got a new Windows laptop because I can't afford the Macbook Pro I want, and the non-Pros don't meet my requirements.

EDIT: To be clear, my old white Macbook finally died a real death. I hung on to it for as long as could, maxed out the RAM, installed an SSD, etc.

13. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Cool, but still no sync'ing of the iCloud Keychain?

That's a shame - I'm forever looking up passwords in Safari or my iPhone to type into Chrome on the PC.

(I know there's software like 1Password or LastPass, or even Google's password sync, but I only want to take care of one password list, and that's iCloud).

14. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

Ironic considering the Windows user may have money left over to buy a Mercedes, whereas the Mac user might have to settle on that Toyota :)

15. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

yeah. previously it'll just download as much as it could with no way to remove from drive. now it looks like you can pick and choose

16. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Yes but if you delete the photo from your iPhone it is deleted from the iCloud.

17. matamoris macrumors regular

18. seek3r macrumors 6502

Here's hoping it makes it easier for app developers like AgileBits to make 1Password and the like work fully with icloud data on windows

19. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

When iTunes is discontinued for Windows maybe this will replace it.

20. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

No selective sync makes this unusable for me. I use Windows at work and Mac OS at home. I'm not going to be syncing all my personal data to my windows work machine...

Edit: Does it have it? I'm installing.

Edit2: It's not letting me install it. Wtf.

21. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I can't install this on windows as it says I need to register a device on MS first. Nevermind...

22. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Same here, wtf?! My XPS 15 is ... registered?! I'm so confused.

Doing Windows Updates Now....

23. seek3r macrumors 6502

I use OneDrive (we're all in on MS on the corp side even though my dev office is a mac shop) and a DropBox tied to my work account for work stuff, iCloud for my personal data, seperation works pretty well, maybe try something like that?

Personally my one problem is 1Password, where I have passwords that need to be shared between work and personal in the 1Password vault, personal stuff on icloud, work accounts on dropbox (only device that has access to everything is my phone) - and the thing that sucks is I can't use the iCloud vault on my windows gaming machine at home

24. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Cosmosent

I assume this means Mail Drop may now be an option on Windows.

Can anyone confirm ?