Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
It's official: Samsung and Android ARE LEGITIMATE threats. When a my local news outlet AND CNN talk about the S4...you know its big. REALLY BIG. I mean, that was usually reserved for the iPhone.

Tired of fanboys throwing sales and stuff. If Apple wasn't scared, they wouldn't need this. That's like Mercedes doing attack ads on Toyota.

I wouldn't go so far. I'd say Samsung has moved to being a viable and significant competitor and not a major threat. Competition is good and I think the two can and will coexist quite happily. The iPhone 5 has consistently been the highest selling smartphone has it not and its sales are still growing, albeit more slowly. Hardly the need to hit the panic stations just yet.

The media loves anything new. Come the 5S/6 Apple will get their fair share of media attention. They sure know how to play the media game.

Apple buyers aren't stupid. Something new isn't necessarily better. If Apple were intelligent enough to make the right choices early on then why change for change's sake? The old adage "if it ain't broke" certainly applies.

One thing I'm certain is that if they do make changes to iOS that they will be carefully considered and result in an improved experience.

M

Mr.damien

Would be a good video ad.

--

Only iPhone has retina display, while other phones have a bigger screen and better PPI (ie. HTC 8X).

And crap colors rendering ...

----------

Or in other words:
Yes we recognize how useless our iDevices are, compared to certain Android-based devices. That's the reason why we need this ad campaign.

As samsung is doing this since many years, it seems that you agreed to say that their devices are useless since the beginning...

sauder

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
This has me laughing all over.

You would have never seen Apple stoop this low a couple years ago. Comparing themselves to others? That's for the fishes not the market leader.

So lets go down 1 by 1:

1) Yes great customer satisfaction. Keeping it simple stupid for the iphone grandma crowd admittingly is nice. And the fact they have on the spot phone replacement.

2) Every detail has been considered

What kind of ad spacing line is that. I guess every other phone just popped out of an engineer's ass without any design consideration

3) Only Iphone has Retina Display.

Considering samsung has 440 PPI vs 320 PPI this is absolutely blowout. You might as well have hidden that fact. S4's screen is gonna take a massive dump on the i5.

4) Great battery life.

I guess you need one when you can't pop in a spare. I don't know how many times my friends ask do you have an iphone charger? LOL.

5) The A6 chip is powerful not powerhungry

Translation: We know we don't have the fastest processor.

6) Iphone LTE

Really? REALLY?! I'm not even gonna bother with that one

7) World's most popular camera

TranslatioN: We know we have a crappier camera, but hey people are buying the iphone so it must be good.

My current 920 takes amazing photos that ***** bricks on the iphone

8) Millions of ways to be entertained

Most people have less than 100 apps. Really 99% is just filler. No one cares. Even my crappy windows system has all that I really need.

9) ios6

Hm. I turn on my phone and I can see my email, schedule for the day, weather, and active stock updates. How convenient. :cool: ios6 give you same old crap.

10) Siri

That feature is wiped out now with google now.

Overall, worst PR attempt I've seen apple do yet. At least wait till you release your Iphone 5S before trying to make a comparison. Its not even close. This is a stomping.

Pretty much all of the features that came with iOS6 has failed. They stopped talking about Siri; Maps will never be fixed, and most of the added features were just clutter. VIP inbox. Uh, no.

And the worst thing about it is Apple still thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. XD

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Processor Power

5) The A6 chip is powerful not powerhungry

Translation: We know we don't have the fastest processor.

We need to have benchmarks before you can make that claim. We don't have benchmarks on the S4 to determine if the 8 core processor is efficient or even utilized.

----------

Pretty much all of the features that came with iOS6 has failed. They stopped talking about Siri; Maps will never be fixed, and most of the added features were just clutter. VIP inbox. Uh, no.

And the worst thing about it is Apple still thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. XD

Well to keep this discussion fair - iOS6 brought a lot of improvements to Siri to make it more accurate and functional - I use it on my iPad now. And maps has received two updates already. Granted it had flaws when it was first introduced - but so did Google maps when it first came out.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
It just happens to be that in 2013 there is only one Wednesday that falls on the 12th day of a month. And that's June 12, 2013.

Product announcements usually happen on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Actually WWDCs (from 2007) have all been on Monday, the 2nd Monday in June.

So WWDC 2013 would be on June 10th this year.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
wait you mean the pentile display on the S4? which dramatically reduces the true PPI on the S4? oh that display.. okay

What about the Lumia 920 with a 60Hz non-blur refresh rate, super-sensitive touch that works with gloves on, and polarized layers to improve outdoor readability? Also a higher PPI than the iPhone and it's non-pentile (332 vs 326).
The retina advertising is disingenuous at this point in time. Android and Windows Phone both have offerings with better displays for those with good enough eyesight to use it.

-----------

Having said that I checked out the website and I couldn't find "Only phone to have a retina display" written anywhere. Did they pull that down?

----------

Sorry, what planet are you on? Most businesses are still to this day running versions of windows NT. Especially large scale networks for government and corporate clients. Only a home based business would dare run on anything past XP. :eek:

Likewise we were stuck on OSX 10.5 for the last 5 years because of compatability issues. No point to be made there... umm a bit off topic aren't we?

sauder

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
If Apple could put 1080p on the current form factor, (or higher) that'd be a feat. They'd have room to brag.

John Adams

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Fort Worth, TX USA
There are ten million people who would have bought an iPhone if it were just BIGGER!!! Apple knows this but they are so effing obtuse it makes me crazy, Just make a BIGGER freaking phone. Good grief.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
Put retina display on the iPad Mini and add a phone to it. Done. Then go head to head with Samsung Note 3! Half of the Note 2 users will leave and go to the iPad Mini.

nofear1az

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
AZ
I went from an iPhone 4 to Samsung G2 and it was superior to my iPhone 4 and then to a Nexus 4. I did it because I needed a bigger screen while Apple is stuck on "we have to have the smallest screen on the planet" go for it Apple, enjoy the list of cheap small screen phones. My hands are big so I have no problems with a 4.8" screen one handed. Sorry, Apple is losing it's fans and this marketing ploy shows it just as Phil Schiller keeps speaking against Android and I find it funny when people say Android doesn't compare.... I used to say the same thing but I love having a widget on my screen without having to open an icon to see the date and another icon to see the weather and another icon to see my calendar. It's rediculious single tasking. Love Apple but if iOS 7 is anoither rehashed iOS 6 and iOS 5 prior that's just pretty stale. Only reason iPhone has great battery life is you can only single task one thing at a time.

Look at the HTC One - that looks more like an iPhone than the iPhone 5 does. The HTC One looks like it was crafted after a Macbook Air. Sorry, Apple can't always be on top. I am really rooting for iOS 7 to actually bring something new and more functionality to the table but with another iPhone 5S it's going to be sad.

It's funny how my family never really cared for iPhones as they used their Blackberries until I've moved on and now they all have iPhones.... (for now) slow to catch up.... same thing happened to RIM.... same is already happening to Apple now. Everyone thinks they are GREAT when they are on top until their fallen they realize their mistakes just hope they don't wait too long.

CosmoCopus

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Was at a restaurant a while back and noticed a family of four sitting in a booth. All 4 were zoned out staring down at their smartphones....not even taking time out to eat or talk...I thought what the frick is up with that! :eek:

Last edited:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Was at a restaurant a while back and noticed a family of four sitting in a booth. All 4 were zoned out staring down at their smartphones....not even taking time out to eat or talk...I thought what the frick is up with that! :eek:

Bad parents leading by example is what. I see it all the time at ball games with my kids. Little Johnny is up at bat and mom is on Facebook or texting not watching the kid at all. Sad really.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
What about the Lumia 920 with a 60Hz non-blur refresh rate, super-sensitive touch that works with gloves on, and polarized layers to improve outdoor readability? Also a higher PPI than the iPhone and it's non-pentile (332 vs 326).
The retina advertising is disingenuous at this point in time. Android and Windows Phone both have offerings with better displays for those with good enough eyesight to use it.

-----------

Having said that I checked out the website and I couldn't find "Only phone to have a retina display" written anywhere. Did they pull that down?

----------

Likewise we were stuck on OSX 10.5 for the last 5 years because of compatability issues. No point to be made there... umm a bit off topic aren't we?

Who cares about the 60 hz and all that, does the Lumia 920 support full sRGB? And the i5 works with gloves on too its pretty dam sensitive(in cell touch)

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
And the i5 works with gloves on too its pretty dam sensitive(in cell touch)

That is patently false. What is your source for "i5 works with gloves"?:

Will you be able to use your iPhone 5 while wearing gloves? No, not unless you’ve bought some special conductive mitts for the purpose. Take a bow, Nokia – cold climate dwellers, cyclists and dental hygienists salute your innovative glove-friendly touchscreen.

http://www.stuff.tv/news/apple-news/imho/apple-iphone-5-why-the-nokia-lumia-920-is-the-real-innovator

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a disgusting attack. But you're kidding yourself if you think the new web pages aren't an attack on Android.

The ad while clean and presented well is good marketing. But anyone who pays attention can see it's a) reactionary b) fueled by FUD, smoke and mirrors.

That doesn't make it bad. It just makes it a little sad.

No, you're right. I guess I was just laughing at his insinuation that it was a degree away from ad hominem.

Univers

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
I own an iPad with Retina and a Note 2. Enjoy both.

They both have nice screens. The iPad has the better screen of the tablets that I've seen, HANDS DOWN. I have no regrets about buying a Note 2 instead of an iPhone, though. None. Love that monster screen, battery (I bought the extra battery/charger but haven't opened it up yet), and, yes, the S-pen!

Lots of choices we have today.

maxluc

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Look at the length of the lines! You can actually SEE how they forced all this crummy, pseudo-emotional BS into their once clean and simple layout. Not worthy of Apple and almost as embarassing as the Genius tv ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.