Apple Launches New 'Why You'll Love an iPhone' Web Campaign

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

Got a mail a few mins ago, and I kinda really likes this new campaign, well done^^

2. please22 macrumors member

3. Bahroo macrumors 68000

wait you mean the pentile display on the S4? which dramatically reduces the true PPI on the S4? oh that display.. okay

4. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

I've seen the webpage, and I am even more worried about Apple than I was before. I am worried about the direction it is taking.

I have just come out of an electronics store. I played a little bit with the laptops which were on display, and none of them matched the retina MacBook Pro. It is an amazing piece of hardware, perfectly crafted like a jewel, unlike any other of those ugly, crappy, plastic-feeling, Windows laptops which were at display. The retina MacBook Pro exudes "Steve Jobs" all over it. Looks like a product that Steve Jobs would have approved, and he probably did before he passed away.

But now, what will be of the future? The iPhone 5 looks great, indeed. But the Samsung Galaxy S3 also looked great, and the S4 seems to be even better. I don't know if it will turn out to be any better or worse than the iPhone 5, but it does not matter.

This iPhone ad is particularly embarrassing.

"Only iPhone has a retina display"? What is that supposed to mean? The "retina display" is a trademark, and of course only Apple products have it, because Apple is legally entitled to have exclusivity over it. But high resolution displays, with very high pixel densities, are not exclusivity for Apple. Actually, the S4 will have a much higher resolution and pixel density than the iPhone 5. Will Apple really play this game? It has nothing to do with features, or design, or beauty. It has to do with intellectual property rights. And it is just disgusting.

Then you have other features which are not exclusive to the iPhone either. "The world's most popular camera"? What is that supposed to mean? How does it make it better than the 13 megapixel camera of the S4 (which is of course less popular, given that the product has not even been released yet)?

And then "only iPhone has Siri"? Of course, another marketing term, and a character created by Apple. Which is still beta, by the way.

The ad is just a disgusting attack on Android smartphones, especially the just-announced Galaxy S4. The S4 has features the iPhone 5 does not have. It may lack the great integration and user experience, but Samsung has delivered something really neat, with those eye and movement tracking software, and the 1080p screen. And I sincerely wished Apple had not done that. If Apple really felt the iPhone 5 was superior, it would have never done this ad.

Just make a groundbreaking, incredible, iPhone 6, and put everybody else to shame. But will it make it? Or will Apple become Microsoft and/or IBM, and Samsung become the new Apple?

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

"only iPhone has the retina display" no shiat! its their marketing term. guess what BK doesnt have a big mac either :-o

6. wxman2003 Suspended

I have a problem with my iPhone, I can go to an Apple store and likely get a replacement on the spot. When I have a problem with my Motorola I go to ummm, well when I have a problem with my Samsung I go to ummmm, well when I have a problem with my HTC I go to ummm, oh yea, to the carrier store where they have those ummm experts that ummm try and sell me a case and cable.

7. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Really wanted the Galaxy S4 to be successful so Apple could become even MORE competitive, hope it's not just competitive marketing.

Campaign is good and remember it's for the masses not people who frequent these boards.

8. ryansimmons323 macrumors regular

I think it's not so much 'people focused' ads that Apple needs to work on; personally I think Samsung's ads are ridiculous. But I do think Apple needs to bring some of the '1984' or 'Think different' meaning and culture into their ads.

9. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Are you kidding me ?

10. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Does "Think different" even apply to Apple anymore? You have no choice to "Think different" with the iPhone.

11. maxwelltech macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

Even if it is PenTile it still has much higher pixel density than the iPhone, plus I mentioned the HTC One which does not use PenTile as far as I know.

12. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Apple has been doing nothing for years. iOS 6 was a joke. The only thing they added was navigation and that was 2-3 yeas too late. Apple should be thankful that Samsung did a plastic S4 or else they would really be in trouble.

I've owned every iPhone since the original but I think it ends this year with the 5S. iOS is stale, old, and doesn't offer basic features such as a live weather tile. It takes me 3 button presses to turn if wifi in 2013. Not acceptable.

Hopefully iOS 7 is an upgrade but I have been hoping since iOS 4. Not much has changed. As they say what goes up must come down and clearly Apple is coming down.

The campaign should be called why I used to love iPhone.

13. TC03 macrumors 65816

I think iOS 5 was a pretty big step with iCloud and revamped notifications. iOS 4 also was pretty big (multi-tasking). Only iOS 6 was minor.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

I think it's nice and clean looking. It's a shame they didn't launch this earlier. Going live with it JUST after the Samsung presentation and hype makes it look reactionary and dare I say - a little sad. Not a lot. Just a little.

15. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

iOS5 brought notifications 2 years too late. iCloud is nice but I don't think of that as an iOS feature. They could bring that whenever they were ready but I do like iCloud. In fairness google has similar features too. I'm more concerned with the staleness of the iOS.

16. Krimsonmyst macrumors 6502

Didn't realise you've had hands on time with it already, and can make that judgement.

Side note, the s4 uses a diamond pixel arrangement on the s4, so your 'drastically reduced pixel count' argument is sort of invalid.

17. lilo777 macrumors 603

The sad part about this campaign is that all other high end phones have every feature that Apple advertises. In most cases (like "retina" display) other phones actually have much better specs. There is literally nothing unique to iPhone anymore. Everything it does, other phones can do. The reverse however is not true.

18. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

We're still talking about the iPhone, right?

19. tim000 macrumors newbie

I know, right? It feels so disingenuous. I don't like this side of Apple :/.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Fixed it:D.

21. Sellewiet macrumors member

Notice that they mention Siri and Facetime (which they call innovative, yeah right, never heard of Skype?) but they don't say anything about Apple Maps, which was one of the key "improvements" at the iPhone 5 launch.

22. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    It seems like a somewhat unguarded marketing attempt. The language isn't that polished. Almost more like when you write an angry letter and throw everything but the kitchen sink in and don't do it in the most elegant way. They didn't have to put this page out today, but it was written like they were up against an invisible deadline.

For example: Why mention that Apple's App Store causes less developer frustration on a web-site geared toward consumers who probably have no idea what developer frustration even refers to? It just sounds like you're getting a jab in even when it won't benefit you to do so.

And the first sentence:

"What makes an iPhone unlike anything else? Maybe it’s that it lets you do so many things. Or that it lets you do so many things so easily. Those are two reasons iPhone owners say they love their iPhone. But there are many others as well."

It sounds like they were writing it and trying to think of the answer out loud in what they wrote!

It's like saying, "There are lots of reasons, plus more!"

I tried finding a clip of it but it's not online, but when I read that first sentence, I instantly thought of Season 2 Episode 8 of 30 Rock, where Kenneth said, "What's your favorite pizza flavor? Mine's plain, but I like others."

23. Yamcha macrumors 68000

24. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

have you actually seen the S4 screen? pentile gets a bad rap since people keep spewing out what others have said in the past.. pentile was pretty bad just a year or so ago, but since the S3, you really can't tell anymore.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Agreed.

"Maybe it's that it lets you do so many things" right after "What makes an iPhone unlike anything else"

First I think they meant to say "unlike any other phone"

Second - it's just bad copywriting. The second sentence is better. But really - having a phone that does so many things isn't "unlike" any other phone.

I would have rewritten it to read

"What makes an iPhone unlike any other phone? iPhone owners say it's because it lets you do so many things so easily. They love that."

Or something similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.