Apple Launches New 'Why You'll Love an iPhone' Web Campaign

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cole01 macrumors 6502

I'm really loving this ad campaign, actually! The white iPhone 5 looks great on the homepage for a change.

2. jab1234 macrumors newbie

False actually. Greater ppi does not mean a sharper display. Color saturation is the biggest reason Apple's displays are better. They do extensive calibration.

3. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Better than what my friend got from his Nexus 4; the back glass cracked by itself without even dropping it and when he took it back to the store they told me he had to call Google because they couldn't help him. At least when I've broken my cable 8 months after I bought my iPhone they exchanged it for a new one at the Apple Store. I've heard similar stories from other people with faulty buttons or cracked screens on their iPhones.

4. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Of course a higher PPI equals a sharper display, what are you on about? I'd really love to see 450+PPI on the next iDevices.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I love this "And because Apple makes both the hardware and the software, iOS features are designed to work perfectly with iPhone features like the Retina display, gyro, and accelerometer."

Will they be editing that when Google releases its own phone? lol

6. matttye macrumors 601

It's very careful wording.

7. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

Is the white iPhone 5 being also endorsed by apple as better to the black one?

8. samcraig macrumors P6

There's also some good old fashion FUD on that site as well.

9. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Significantly higher ppi too.

10. AppleFan1984 macrumors 6502

Sounds like a bug in the CNN app packaging. The Nexus 7 ships with Android 4.1, which is normally supported by that app.

Ironically, CNN calls the Nexus 7 the best Android tablet:
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/05/tech/mobile/nexus-7-best-android-tablet

11. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Great edits. "They love that" sounds fresh and real.

12. carmenodie, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2013

carmenodie macrumors 6502a

Apple's advertising is also minimal but packs a ******** wallop. I to have the iPhone 5 and it is freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

13. jab1234, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

jab1234 macrumors newbie

To a point. If you have ever looked at any other smartphone screen you'll notice they look cartoonish. That's terrible color saturation. The colors on the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 and 4 are 99% accurate. No other screen comes close.

PPI is like the megapixel craze for cameras. It matter to a point.

14. Tigger92 macrumors member

One could say the same about Samsung in the fact that they are spending more than any other company on advertising. In fact, they have done the same thing. So doesn't look like desperation at all. If anything, this is good for any company to do if it generates sales.

15. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Since the first iPhone they've always announced them in June, and released them in July. However since the 4S they decided to move to the release date to October. I personally like the summer release dates better. :cool:

16. orthorim macrumors 6502

For me the biggest problem is the battery life.

The battery life suck. I barely get through a day, and many times I have to recharge in the evening.

I know it's a software bug (**) but Apple makes both hardware and software, so no excuses. I cringe every time I see somebody in Starbucks with an iPhone wall adapter and their phone plugged in - an increasingly common sight.

That should never, ever be necessary with an iPhone.

(**) IT's a software bug because according to my usage stats on my phone, I am using the phone 5 to 6 hours a day. Which is of course a joke, I have a job, things to do, etc, I am not sitting in front of my phone for 5 hours...

17. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Next thing you know you will see this TV campaign.

"Hi Im an iPhone and I'm an Android..."

18. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Huge mistake. The brilliance of Apple products should be immediately evident upon inspection.

This almost seems like they're begging for attention in the face of competitors.

19. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

He took it back to the store, yet they told you that he had to call Google? :confused:
    Very odd!

Not sure where you're from but that behaviour wouldn't hold with UK consumer protection laws. The Nexus 4 is sold by a few large online and high street stores (Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U) which would be responsible for warranty repairs or replacements.

In the last 10 years, I've had 4 phones die on me or go wrong.

Nokia 5800 - developed issues with the earpiece, was replaced in store by Carphone Warehouse (the original retailer).
    iPhone 3g - kept losing data if either wiped, restored and set up as new. The genius tried to blame it on syncing with Windows XP who was soon shot down when I said I was using an iMac. He shortly replaced the phone thereafter.
    HTC Nexus One - ordered from the us, died 2 days into owning it. HTC UK replaced it with a weeks turnaround. It Later developed a fault with the power button (common problem for the Nexus One thanks to the poor button ribbon design). Once again fixed with a week turnaround.
    Apple iPhone 4 - power button is dead and will require replacement. Assistive touch is letting me lock the phone for now.

Additionally to those above, I've owned: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Omnia 7, HTC Titan, ZTE Blade, Samsung Galaxy S III, Samsung Nexus S and my current Xperia U and Nexus 4.

None of these have gone wrong nor had any issues hardware wise.

Like I said, I'd rather not have to get a phone fixed, one that "just works™" is far more valuable and satisfying to own than someing that is easily replaced.

Nice to see that Apple replaced a cable that broke within 8 months for you either way. I can't say I've had any Micro USB cables die on me over the past few years though.

20. orthorim macrumors 6502

I don't think the iPhone is losing its appeal.

There is the fact that it looks leaps and bounds better than any other phone out there. That the quality and materials are unsurpassed.

But you're right in one thing, it needs a bigger screen option. It's a trend that the iPhone started and it's just taken off in ways nobody would have anticipated.

At this point, I think the iPhone ecosystem can easily take it. That is, there's so many apps, and so many devs out there, they can adapt to yet another screen size.

Oh and also they need to fix iOS to make the freaking battery last more than a few hours. It's a joke.

21. Steve J0bs macrumors regular

Hmm.

Okay, hear me out. What if Apple is currently devoting all of its resources to the next "big thing" and isn't too focused on the iPhone anymore? I have this theory that the iPhone has become just like their Mac line and they will only update it with processor upgrades, better camera, etc. instead, they are putting extreme focus into the future product that will probably change our lives just like the iPhone did in 2007.

Remember when the first iPhone was released and Apple said that they were years ahead of the competition? Well, I think they are on the verge of a new product that will completely change the way we interact and use mobile devices.(iwatch & google glass anyone?) I mean this is a big IF, but what if they are about to leap years ahead of the competition again?

Call me crazy. No idea why I thought about this happening. If it happened with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, then it could happen again. Technology must advanced somehow.

Lately, I've been using my iPhone less and less. It's not because it's not a capable and easy to use device. It's because I'm getting tired of reaching into my pocket and being overwhelmed with information at my fingertips. That probably doesn't make any sense, but there's gotta be one person who understands what I'm trying to get across.

Apple isn't worried. They are about to jump years ahead of everyone again. Just wait. It's a giant circle.

22. orthorim macrumors 6502

Nah. Apple's always been not just about great products but about great advertising too.

The iPhone has, in the past, sold itself because it was just so much better than anybody else. Android Jelly Bean has changed that - since JB, Android is "good enough". So now Apple needs to tune its marketing cannons, and create a ton of buzz. Samsung outspends Apple in advertising 10:1 at the moment! You can't take that lying down.

Without even having any new products, Apple still has a ton of growth potential from just two things: Distribution, and advertising.

Both were unimportant as long as Apple was selling iPhones as quickly as it could make them, which has been the story of the iPhone so far. But now they're catching up with production midway through the product cycle - fastest ever - they need to fix those things pronto.

They've just fixed distribution in India. And guess what, sales are up 400%. Because people can actually buy the things where they normally buy phones, rather than having to make a journey.

In the USA, distribution and marketing are good - in the rest of the world, they're far behind Android in these areas, and they are taking steps to correct that. Finally!

23. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

A NEXUS product not supported? :eek:

----------

No it doesn't... Once you go beyond a certain PPI then you can't make out the pixels anyway therefore the screen is as sharp as it is going to get.

24. c0venant macrumors regular

is it just me or are most people on this forum Android fans rather than Apple fans? :confused:

25. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

Just because you can't see the pixels doesn't mean that you can't notice increased details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.