Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neigesdantan

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2015
I have to wait until next thursday for the "genius".

They eventually replaced the screen for free. At first they negated again the existence of a quality program; they tried to convince me showing me the apple website where indeed no such quality program is listed.
I had to ask them to check their internal assistance site (http://gsx.apple.com) for article SN2898.
The article SN2898 is titled: Identifying anti-reflective coating issues on retina-based mac notebooks.
I hope this will be of help for someone else.

Reactions: BlackOlive

RJ1985

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2015
They eventually replaced the screen for free. At first they negated again the existence of a quality program; they tried to convince me showing me the apple website where indeed no such quality program is listed.
I had to ask them to check their internal assistance site (http://gsx.apple.com) for article SN2898.
The article SN2898 is titled: Identifying anti-reflective coating issues on retina-based mac notebooks.
I hope this will be of help for someone else.
I can confirm that Apple does acknowledge this - see the works authorisation I obtained for my MacBook Pro
IMG_0142.png

BlackOlive

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2015
To those suggesting people have been "cleaning them wrong," I can say in my case, I've never used any solvents on my screen. I've only ever used a fine microfiber cloth in combination with getting a little humidity on the screen by blowing on it when there's a visible smudge. It's unacceptable for people whose job revolves around visuals—or anyone, really.

Reactions: MRU

weaselciuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
Hello guys

I took this to an authorized service and they denied the existence of the program. They checked on the genius GSX apple service website and the article is not shown there in any way. They say if its not on Apple.com as a replacement program, they wont do it unles otehrwise noted. how else can i go about this as its starting to peel of worse and worse...

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Took mine to the Apple Store yesterday. No questions asked they took it back and are fully replacing the display. Apple Care paid for itself yet again.

What exactly do they replace? Do they replace the whole upper unit? How long does it take? I think I need mine done but I can't leave it for a week.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
What exactly do they replace? Do they replace the whole upper unit? How long does it take? I think I need mine done but I can't leave it for a week.
I am not sure if they replaced the whole upper unit of just the glass, but the cost was north of $600 which would suggest they replaced the whole upper unit. Got it back in a day.

DebSil

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2016
I went to the Genius Bar last Friday to inquire about my screen, knowing nothing about this known issue. They immediately admitted it was an issue and would be replaced for free. I was scheduled to return on Monday to turn it in for repair. As luck would have it, on Sunday I dropped it from my lap to a ceramic tile floor and rendered it non-functional. Dear Lord. When I took it in on Monday, they didn't balk a bit and I got it back today fully functional.

Here's what I'm wondering. The screen is most definitely different. It has a 1/8" lip all the way around the edges, that wasn't on the previous one. This makes it a little easier to open without touching the screen, but I also think it's a little dimmer. Could it have been replaced with something of lesser quality?

chrisullyott

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2016
I'm thinking of buying a refurbished MBPr... is there a release date I should be looking for after which staingate was fixed? Hopefully so :)

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
They replaced the screen on my 9 week old, mid 2015 rMBP 15, no questions asked.

And it was done in just under an hour.

The Genius guy did try to deny that it was staingate, suggesting it was badly behaved pixels. Although, I know that it wasn't the pixels and the coating was coming away. If you reflected light onto the display, when turned off, you could see it. I also mentioned about the internal QP. Needless to say, was in and out in 60 minutes tops.

Well done Apple UK... That's how to do it!
[doublepost=1454088328][/doublepost]
I'm thinking of buying a refurbished MBPr... is there a release date I should be looking for after which staingate was fixed? Hopefully so :)

My model was in the last refresh line... and had the issue. Mid 2015.

italiancouture7

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2016
I must be the only person not able to get my screen problem fixed??? I have had my macbook pro retina for less than a year and it's under warranty still. I took it in and they said oh yeah we will cover it! I get a call later that night informing me they will no longer cover it because it has water damage. I know for a fact it's never been near water. It's in a case and I keep it in a safe area away from food/liquid. But I live in Florida and it does get very humid so apparently humidity can cause those sensors to change colors.

Even though I was told it had nothing to do with this factory defect I am literally screwed. I shelled out $1400+ for this laptop which they have now voided my warranty on and I have no idea how much longer it will last. I don't have the $770 they are trying to charge me to replace this now. They also refused to show me this supposed water damage. I also am not able to look into it myself because the repair people stripped the screws on it! I will never buy another Apple product ever again. The people at the store were horrible to me, I think this is the first time I have ever cried over a customer service issue. We have soo many apple products in our home, it makes me sick to even look at them now.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
I must be the only person not able to get my screen problem fixed??? I have had my macbook pro retina for less than a year and it's under warranty still. I took it in and they said oh yeah we will cover it! I get a call later that night informing me they will no longer cover it because it has water damage. I know for a fact it's never been near water. It's in a case and I keep it in a safe area away from food/liquid. But I live in Florida and it does get very humid so apparently humidity can cause those sensors to change colors.

Even though I was told it had nothing to do with this factory defect I am literally screwed. I shelled out $1400+ for this laptop which they have now voided my warranty on and I have no idea how much longer it will last. I don't have the $770 they are trying to charge me to replace this now. They also refused to show me this supposed water damage. I also am not able to look into it myself because the repair people stripped the screws on it! I will never buy another Apple product ever again. The people at the store were horrible to me, I think this is the first time I have ever cried over a customer service issue. We have soo many apple products in our home, it makes me sick to even look at them now.

Mate, your best bet is to now involve someone within Apple that is a lot higher than the Store staff. Write to both the store and CC-in the head of Apple Retail USA. Describing exactly what happened and how it has made you feel, what you will do if no one is forthcoming. Make sure to research your consumer rights. I'm UK based so do not have a full understanding of your state or statutory rights... and quote from them. Do not moan or over describe, bullet point it. Likewise, put down what they can do to resolve the situation. The fact that you have CC-d in a Head Office official should be enough to open the door at the store.

This worked for me a few years ago, when an Apple repair went horribly wrong. I was belittled and humiliated in the Store. And, accused of the damage the Store's Team had inflicted on my device. Needless to say, a letter and copy were sent and, within a week I was being handed a new device.

Stick to your guns and do not back down!

If what you say is true, you may even have a case in law.

Good luck.

Last edited:

iliasp

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Greece
I am waiting on my 4th replacement due to light bleeding this time (the previous time was due to the staingate issue)

Would it be right to ask for a refurbished unit? I am a little bit tired with the visits to the service!

MNR

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2014

Same thing here !
Macbook pro late 2013 retina display 15 inch with stains on the screen corners becoming more apparent ans spreading. I went to the apple store, at the genius bar they immediately told me it will be covered, my serial number was matching the program and I will have a 719$ screen replacement for free. Then 2 days later, they call me telling me the macbook has extensive liquide damage and they can't change the screen unless I pay 1250$ ! I was stunned as I never have dropped any water on my computer plus no explanations on where is this liquid damage and what are the consequences for the macbook. My computer is working with no issues ... If there is liquid damage, it doesn't change the fact that the screen coating is leaving and if this is a defect recognized and replaced for free, they should still fix it.
I'm really confused and don't know what is next now ...

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Same thing here !
Macbook pro late 2013 retina display 15 inch with stains on the screen corners becoming more apparent ans spreading. I went to the apple store, at the genius bar they immediately told me it will be covered, my serial number was matching the program and I will have a 719$ screen replacement for free. Then 2 days later, they call me telling me the macbook has extensive liquide damage and they can't change the screen unless I pay 1250$ ! I was stunned as I never have dropped any water on my computer plus no explanations on where is this liquid damage and what are the consequences for the macbook. My computer is working with no issues ... If there is liquid damage, it doesn't change the fact that the screen coating is leaving and if this is a defect recognized and replaced for free, they should still fix it.

Raise a valid complaint with the Store Manager. If that is unsuccessful, take the matter higher, his Manager, their Manager, Area Manager, so on and so forth until you either reach the top or you reach a resolution, whichever is sooner.

Be factual and ready to quote your rights, be firm but not rude. Do a little research and keep on going until you get what you want.

I have been met with the same response from Apple as you, regarding a repair, but for different reasons. A strongly worded letter, CC-ing the head of Apple Retail UK, bought about a fast and very satisfactory resolution.

Stick to your guns and good luck.

MNR

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2014
I have ordered a pentalobe screwdriver to open the back of the computer and look if I see something. If there is nothing, I go to another apple store and ask to speak to the manager.
The worse is that my machine is working completely with no issues except that the screen coating peeling away.
I'm wondering what does Apple to repair liquid damage ? What does the 1250$ price include and is this procedure warranty ?

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
I have ordered a pentalobe screwdriver to open the back of the computer and look if I see something. If there is nothing, I go to another apple store and ask to speak to the manager.
The worse is that my machine is working completely with no issues except that the screen coating peeling away.
I'm wondering what does Apple to repair liquid damage ? What does the 1250$ price include and is this procedure warranty ?

I'd be very careful doing that, if they have resealed the screws then any and/or all of your warranty rights will be waived. The price tag suggests a new logic board. And, as per the T&C's of the purchase / warranty etc. they do withhold the right to charge you for any repairs on top of those you have may requested. The reason being, if they repair the screen but then the logic board croaks, you could technically claim again. Hence, they want to service the entire machine.

As I mentioned above, your best bet is to begin a formal complaint, and continue to escalate upwards should you not get any satisfaction in the first instance.

You can almost bet that it will be humidity that has partially triggered a sensor. And it appears to be up to you in how you defend your position in this matter.

I wouldn't go about making matters worse by cracking the seals and tampering in non user-serviceable devices. Writing a letter to the Store Manager and CC-ing the head of Apple Retail for your region is a lot quicker and less risky!

Add info (edit): It worked for me, when a botched repair happened on my last machine. I ended up almost screaming at the Store Manager in store, shop front to an audience of customers. Whilst he denied any and all responsibility. But it got no where. A day or so later, I wrote a letter detailing the fault, repair, outcome and complaint, CC'd in the head of Apple Retail UK. Within 48 hours, I was asked back to the store, they gave me a formal apology and a new machine.

Last edited:

k2parn

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016
New Hampshire
At least this came faster than the logic board/GPU issues on the 2011 macbook pros. I got that replaced under warranty when mine failed, and good to know if my screen on my RMBP starts decaying it will be covered. Apple either learned their lesson from the GPU failures or this issue was even more prominent and they were forced to do something.
I have a late 2013
I just took my 2013 rMBP in to Apple a couple of weeks ago. They replaced the screen for image retention, no questions asked. They also replaced the logic board along with the keyboard and top cover assembly to resolve a graphics issue that was causing restarts and kernel panicks.

It sucks that Apple drags their feet sometimes in acknowledging defects like this. But for the most part their products are very reliable and both their quality control and warranty practices are infinitely better than that of any PC OEM.
I'm dropping off my 2013 RMBP 15" tomorrow at a local Apple store for this issue that I just noticed , and after a little arm twisting Apple is covering out of warranty. I just may sell this after I get it back from repair now for a 2012 15" non retina to avoid this issue in the future I'm thinking.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I have a late 2013

I'm dropping off my 2013 RMBP 15" tomorrow at a local Apple store for this issue that I just noticed , and after a little arm twisting Apple is covering out of warranty. I just may sell this after I get it back from repair now for a 2012 15" non retina to avoid this issue in the future I'm thinking.

The non-retina 15" models from 2012 still have thee gpu issue, which only falls under the repair program until the end of this year. I wouldn't buy one today.

MNR

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2014
Same thing here !

Just wanted to update...
When I received my computer back in February I did order a special screwdriver and opened the machine. Could not see any "trace" of liquid damage just dust on the back bottom ... Closed my computer and continue working with it and there was no any functional issues.
Last week, my workload was more reduced so I decided to try again hoping Apple will replace my screen, since the delamination problem was extending and the replacement program is ending next October. This time, instead of going to the Apple store close to my workplace, I went to another store which is bigger (not sure If I can name the stores here). The genius run some tests to see if the machine had hardware issues (something they haven't done the first time) he also saw the comment from the previous genius of the other store, probably kept on file and linked to the serial number of the machine, and he took the computer with him in the back room. I guess they opened the computer and looked for the "water damage"?
Anyway he came back saying the screen replacement will be free of charge under the program and will take 3 to 5 days. No mention of water damage ...
this time, I could track the repair and see that the machine was sent to a repair store (it never happen with the other apple store) and 2 days after, I could pick it up with a brand new screen and upper case. Happy ending.

Now I'm wondering if the replaced the screen will also be prone to the delamination issue? what can we do to prevent that problem again ?

Reactions: tomnavratil

tony1984

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2014
Just wanted to update...
When I received my computer back in February I did order a special screwdriver and opened the machine. Could not see any "trace" of liquid damage just dust on the back bottom ... Closed my computer and continue working with it and there was no any functional issues.
Last week, my workload was more reduced so I decided to try again hoping Apple will replace my screen, since the delamination problem was extending and the replacement program is ending next October. This time, instead of going to the Apple store close to my workplace, I went to another store which is bigger (not sure If I can name the stores here). The genius run some tests to see if the machine had hardware issues (something they haven't done the first time) he also saw the comment from the previous genius of the other store, probably kept on file and linked to the serial number of the machine, and he took the computer with him in the back room. I guess they opened the computer and looked for the "water damage"?
Anyway he came back saying the screen replacement will be free of charge under the program and will take 3 to 5 days. No mention of water damage ...
this time, I could track the repair and see that the machine was sent to a repair store (it never happen with the other apple store) and 2 days after, I could pick it up with a brand new screen and upper case. Happy ending.

Now I'm wondering if the replaced the screen will also be prone to the delamination issue? what can we do to prevent that problem again ?
Wow I had this same issue two weeks ago. I have never had any issue with water damage and all of andudden they "found" it inside my computer and won't replace the screen unless I pay 1200 dollars.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I took my 13" Macbook Pro into the Apple Store Trafford, UK, and they accepted it for repair without any hesitation. All I did was show them the delimitation at the Genius Bar, and then said "I understand Apple has a repair programme for this". Left the machine overnight and it was ready the next morning. They replaced the entire upper shell (which was nice, as it had a scratch on it) and also gave the whole thing a good clean - my keyboard feels like new, and I swear even the speakers sound better.

Work confirmation attached.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 07.53.17.png

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I also got mine (mid-2014 15" MBP) fixed quickly. A brief glance at the issue followed by a serial number lookup settled it. The replacement cost was AU$900 for the part and AU$39 for labour, all waived.

And this is why I'm a happy Apple customer... :cool:

vanylapep

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Do they accept this in Canada too?
[doublepost=1467379758][/doublepost]I have 2 questions:

1. Mine has staingate but only in the "black" area of the screen (the black border around the LCD), there is no stain within the LCD area, will they still cover it and repair it?

2. Do they put in a lesser, dimmer screen? I find the original one already dim sometimes..

patternofstars8

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2016
Just a heads up for anyone who has this problem and hasn't taken care of it yet.. I sent my macbook (US) in through the mail and they without charge or question replaced the display clamshell. I also had my mid 2012 macbook battery replaced so with a new screen and top case it feels like I have a brand new mac book pro!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.