Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac-Pro.jpg
Apple today launched a new Repair Extension Program that addresses video issues on some late 2013 Mac Pro models, according to an internal notice obtained by MacRumors.

Apple has determined that graphics cards in some late 2013 Mac Pros, manufactured between February 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015, may cause distorted video, no video, system instability, freezing, restarts, shut downs, or may prevent system start up.

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will repair eligible Mac Pro models affected by the video issues free of charge until May 30, 2018. Apple lists a turnaround time of about 3-5 days.

Apple says both graphics cards must be replaced on Mac Pros exhibiting any of the problems listed above. AMD's FirePro D500 (high-end model) and D700 (built-to-order) GPUs are affected. AMD's FirePro D300 GPU on the base Mac Pro is not listed.

Customers can book an appointment with the Genius Bar at an Apple Store or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider to determine if their Mac Pro is eligible for coverage. Unlike Apple's voluntary recall of some international AC wall adapters last week, Apple is unlikely to publicly announce this repair program on its support website, but it may contact some customers directly.

A lengthy Apple Support Communities topic was posted about Mac Pro video issues in February 2015, and it has since amassed nearly 3,500 views and 50 replies from affected users. One customer claimed Apple agreed to replace his Mac Pro's graphics card after he contacted the company's support team about the issue.

Apple also launched a repair program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros with video issues in February 2015.

Article Link: Apple Launches Repair Program for Late 2013 Mac Pro Video Issues

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
How long is this REP for? I purchased my Mac Pro literally within that window (and I have AppleCare). I just wanna know because GPUs have always been a problem for me in Apple's laptops.

Reactions: rdav

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
How long is this REP for? I purchased my Mac Pro literally within that window (and I have AppleCare). I just wanna know because GPUs have always been a problem for me in Apple's laptops.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to confirm how long the REP lasts. So I would recommend contacting Apple soon.

EDIT: This REP runs until May 30, 2018.

Last edited:

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Had a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina that had the video card issue. Ended up sending it back to the store 5 times before the rep gave up and gave me a full-spec'd rMBP 2015 model.

So good on Apple for approaching these situations like this, but it's disappointing how many models (11-13 for the MBP at least) have been affected, especially given how "premium" they're supposed to be in the first place.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Unfortunately I haven't been able to confirm how long the REP lasts. So I would recommend contacting Apple soon.

Yeah I just confirmed that my Mac Pro was made on the 6th week of 2015, aka 02/01/15 to 02/08/15. Very scary. I have noticed video issues before but I attributed it to a faulty Thunderbolt port (fixed last month) and my new monitor (went to 4k).

I can't even catch a break on these. I had 3 MBPs all die from GPU problems (2 would be under the other REP mentioned).

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Yeah I just confirmed that my Mac Pro was made on the 6th week of 2015, aka 02/01/15 to 02/08/15. Very scary. I have noticed video issues before but I attributed it to a faulty Thunderbolt port (fixed last month) and my new monitor (went to 4k).

I can't even catch a break on these. I had 3 MBPs all die from GPU problems (2 would be under the other REP mentioned).
It seems quite clear IMO why Apple is trying to get rid of dGPUs as fast as possible. It seems like every other iteration of Mac has dGPU issues. Apple must be sick of them. The route they took with the 4K iMacs makes me thing the next major MBP redesign won't have dGPUs at all.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Ah, see. these symptoms are identical to the 2011 MacBook Pros GPU failures.

doesn't this prove that these new 'trash can' Mac "Pro"s are just as fallible as a system for intense use as the MBP's etc were? the towers clearly could take the stress.

No, its just as prone to hardware production fault. Given it has 2 GPUs rather than one, probably more so. This is not news.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
It seems quite clear IMO why Apple is trying to get rid of dGPUs as fast as possible. It seems like every other iteration of Mac has dGPU issues. Apple must be sick of them. The route they took with the 4K iMacs makes me thing the next major MBP redesign won't have dGPUs at all.
Well it's Apple's fault for making a 'pro machine' that was infinitely more upgradable and at the same time cools it's GPU's 1000x better into a damn trash can that's slowly cooking the dGPU's just like iMacs and MBP's!

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

Mac-Pro.jpg
Apple today launched a new Repair Extension Program that addresses video issues on some late 2013 Mac Pro models, according to an internal notice obtained by MacRumors.

Apple has determined that graphics cards in some late 2013 Mac Pros, manufactured between February 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015, may cause distorted video, no video, system instability, freezing, restarts, shut downs, or may prevent system start up.

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will repair eligible Mac Pro models affected by the video issues free of charge. Customers can book an appointment with the Genius Bar at an Apple Store or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider to determine if their Mac Pro is eligible for coverage.

Unlike Apple's voluntary recall of some international AC wall adapters last week, Apple is unlikely to publicly announce this repair program on its support website, but it may contact some customers directly.

Apple has sold around 11 million Macs since Q2 2015, which is when the affected Mac Pro models were first sold, but the company does not provide a sales breakdown by type of Mac. It is also unclear if the affected Mac Pros were sold beyond April 2015, making it difficult to gauge how many customers are potentially impacted.

A lengthy Apple Support Communities topic was posted about Mac Pro video issues in February 2015, and it has since amassed nearly 3,500 views and 50 replies from affected users. One customer claimed Apple agreed to replace his Mac Pro's graphics card after he contacted the company's support team about the issue.

Apple also launched a repair program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros with video issues in February 2015.

Article Link: Apple Launches Repair Program for Late 2013 Mac Pro Video Issues
ANY news of MP...is GREAT NEWS....(breathing hard).
[doublepost=1454743167][/doublepost]
This is what happens when you manufacture things in America!!
I am not sure if made in America has anything to do with machine failure. I mean, take a look at foxconn. They made failure products...so why does "made in America" have to be discriminated?

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Apple just replaced my video cards in the nMP (via AppleCare). The system would often panic and shut down. Weirdly, it would almost always happen when launching iTunes. After the repair, all seems back to normal.

Reactions: vmistery

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Ah, see. these symptoms are identical to the 2011 MacBook Pros GPU failures.

doesn't this prove that these new 'trash can' Mac "Pro"s are just as fallible as a system for intense use as the MBP's etc were? the towers clearly could take the stress.
I have taken my cheesegrater for repairs 3 times during its lifetime. So far my trashcan has not had a single issue yet.

G-News

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Switzerland
It's all down to being RohS compliant. These gpu problems started to come up after they stopped using lead in the solder. With the RohS compliant tin solders, they just start to disintegrate after a series of hot/cold cycles and the solder cracks, leading to these problems. It'd frankly be a lot more environmentally friendly if they went back to using lead/tin blends instead of replacing the chip 5 times.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
The Apple (Dustbin) Hoffman symbolised the end of thr.glory years. But still attempted innovstion by making itself literally recyclable. When it packed in due to overheating design issues because it looks like a trashcan you don't have to dispose of it. Because it can still be used. As a trashcan. Nown that's what I call forward thinking! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.