Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
You guys have Black Friday sales.
Each region should devise whatever marketing strategy they see fit in the region. Obviously Apple thinks Black Friday is what they should do for western markets.
LMAO You Guys??? And where are you from? Because according to this forum of mixed countries when the U.S Black Friday is about to approach every other country on Macrumors suddenly feels entitled to a Black Friday deal from Apple, and many of them don't even know what Black Friday means or how it came about being on Friday. SMH.

Reactions: ruka.snow

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Apple's China PR team seems to do cool stuff. The Japan PR team also seems to do cool events. Does the US PR team ever do anything interesting?
It's more Marketing than PR but anyhow each region has their own efforts.

Apple's domestic marketing efforts include a lot of TV advertisements. Whether or not you think their efforts are "interesting" [sic] is up to you.

Note that the legendary "I'm a Mac. I'm a PC." campaign was largely a U.S. marketing effort. There are plenty of other examples of US-specific marketing efforts, such as putting the Rosa Parks photo in an Apple promotional image. Such an image would mean nothing to a South Korean.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I, for one, can't support any particular support of Chinese culture over any other culture. Why is this special?

Speaking from the stance of market(s) -

"According to November data from Counterpoint Research, Apple had just 8 percent of the market share in China during the third quarter of 2019, down from 9 percent during the same time period in 2018. Huawei is the market leader with a 40 percent share, trailed by Vivo, Oppo and Xiomi"

As an AAPL holder since 1999, I don't really care about this. I do care about market diversification - manufacturing efficiencies, and an edge over competitors in emergent markets and unrealized spaces. This, to me, looks like some kind of appeasement. Does the combined tax+labour offset in China really impact your COG to such an extent that China, your *minority* market gets special and highly unique branding?

What shareholders, like myself, should be asking is:

1) AAPL has decided to fab their own SOC architecture. Amazing, brilliant, and yes. Get out of the fake, and agreed-upon (typical of binary market competition) BS that INTEL vs AMD has been suggesting is the 'reality' of progress.

2) Then, given the performance and efficiency gains made across the line (energy storage, power, savings via processing improvements with respect to the last two parameters, and others), what -> presently <- are your COG and related factors which mandate you manufacture in China. Why not U.S.? Why not Peru, Ireland, Ukraine, or (?)

3) And how does the latter justify AAPL kissing *** for a country that represent a (yes, significant opportunity) market that simply is neither sticky with respect to their products nor an actual first-runner adopter - unless the basic physical features are trendy.

Whoa! Don't know where to begin on this post.

Maybe.... Relax?

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
At the end of the day business I business I guess, and Apple have to suck China’s ... , I mean find creative ways of appeasing their overlords ..., I mean use any means necessary to sell more in the planet’s biggest market.
Biggest market, billions of people but only a quarter of a hundred thousands especially themed gadgets? I would have guessed these to sell by the millions (Judging by how successful the airpods are and all)

Last edited:
Reactions: nrose101

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Largest smartphone market in the world.

Largest personal computer market in the world.

Whether you're talking AirPods, Audi vehicles, or Airbus jetliners, China is by far the largest market in revenue and in units sold. Even a small market share means huge revenue that eclipses any other country in the world.

So don't be surprised Apple is producing Ox themed AirPods for consumers in China and not COVID-themed iPhones for U.S. consumers.

miric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2016
Apple may outsource the production of these. Not just adding ox but also it would be nice if it would be a fake. I suppose it is a very good reward to every Chinese cr.ppy fake. ?

Reactions: Huck

Escape Velocity

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Tainan, Taiwan
There are roughly 50 million ethnic Chinese people living outside China/HK/Taiwan, and many of them are not even citizens of PRC nor born in China. So let's be clear first that Chinese culture != CCP/PRC.

Besides, how is this different than Apple releasing pride watch band or celebrating black history month?
Did you just lump Taiwan in with HK and China, in a comment centered on the CCP and PRC? The HK/China lumping is itself controversial, but also debatable and justifiable. But how on early could you include Taiwan in this comment? Politically, economically, culturally (by a wider margin every year), Taiwan is a distinct and independent country. In fact, today the vast majority of Taiwanese self-identify as Taiwanese rather than Chinese, the culmination of a long term trend spanning decades. Indeed, the new Taiwanese passport is even dropping the English name Republic of China (itself distinct from the People's Republic of China) in favor of calling itself Taiwan.

There is zero tradition in Western countries in displaying Christmas/Hannukah symbols outside of a short holiday timeframe.

By contrast, in many Asian countries, the zodiac figure is the dominant symbol for that particular year. Many households have a small display of the current year's animal.

Note that essentially 1/12th of those who follow the Chinese zodiac call this their year. The Western astrological calendar is split into twelve month-long periods that don't coincide with calendar months.
I've lived in Asia for years, and have frequently traveled around east and Southeast Asia. Lots of symbols displayed for the New Year season, but you won't see a year-round display terribly often.

Reactions: Huck

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
They can put an ox on them put they can't produce a few cool colors like Colorware? JHC.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
So many people here are getting hyped up over something innocuous as Apple adding an embellishment to an iPod case celebrating and honoring Chinese New Year that's intended to put a smile on many millions of *people* (not governments).

Jeeez... calm down, and let *people* be happy with a bit of joy celebrating something that's important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.