Apple Launches 'Touch Disease' Repair Program for iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 17, 2016.

1. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Not just Apple, any first generation product generally have defects.

2. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

So far so good with my 6 Plus, just need this to last a few more months. The Ring / Silent switch on mine started acting up a few months ago and now it's really goofy.

3. lysingur macrumors regular

lysingur

Except Apple likes to try out new technology more than others.

4. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

I won't say so. Google tries out way more new tech than Apple. Apple implements older tech in a user friendly experience.

5. lysingur macrumors regular

lysingur

Okay, if you say so. I don't even know if you know what you're talking about though. Google wasn't considered a hardware company till Pixel (smartphone) came out and that wasn't even a year ago (and we're talking about the iPhone on this thread). Most of its services that people actually use are 'free' so of course they have more leeway in terms of being able to experiment with new technology.

If you look at MBP, every update came with new technology, from Retina screen, built-in speakers, battery, TouchBar, keyboard, USB-C. So I don't know either what you mean by older tech. What about AirPods? The ARM chip inside 2016 MBP? I can go on. And if you look at operating system, macOS Sierra has seen some drastic under-the-hood changes, PDFKit is one. Remember the network issues in Yosemite? That's because they were trying to implement a new network service. And now a flurry of new tech in High Sierra. So "older tech"? Not sure about that. You must not be following Apple's development very closely for the past five years.

6. iMacC2D, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

iMacC2D macrumors 6502a

7. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Well said.!

8. iMacC2D, Jun 22, 2017
  9. lysingur macrumors regular

lysingur

The Retina Display wasn't 'minor' at all. Funny how a guy who claims to love researching this kind of stuff can't be bothered to google threads detailing how users were affected by image retention. It was so bad that Geniuses would do exchange right away without asking questions once they confirm your panel is made by LG. It was so bad that exchange would very often be made for free even if the rMBP was slightly out of the 1-year warranty.

I wasn't knocking Apple for trying out new technology either. Just pointing out the fact that they try out new tech more often than others and that akash.nu doesn't know what he's talking about. Using Google as a rebuttal just shows how ill-informed he is.

I appreciate your long-winded but informative explication though. Except I wasn't talking about iPhone 6+ in particular and it reads like a fanboy making excuses for the company he worships. A defect is a defect and you should check your definition of 'technology' before you start writing your thesis. It just means "a new way of doing things". It could be that the material is the same but they attempt to fit the casing in a novel way and that causes problems down the production chain. In case you don't understand how this is relevant, I'm explaining to you why the iMac stand issue is also due to 'new tech'.

It's a cardinal sin in writing any exposition that the author doesn't even try to define things clearly. I think you should take that to heart.

10. iMacC2D, Jun 22, 2017
  11. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Mate, all I'm gonna say is look up where google is investing. Putting a higher resolution screen is hardly "new" tech. Well, might be for you but in the world of technology it's really nowhere comparable to what google does on a regular basis.

I love Apple products and I'm completely invested in their ecosystem but I give credits where it's due. Apple presents technologies to consumers in a easier way but that doesn't mean they try new tech. Also tech doesn't mean only hardware.

12. lysingur, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

lysingur macrumors regular

lysingur

Again, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. You think Retina is just a "higher resolution" screen? LMFAO. So I guess by your logic all the processors since 8086 are just "faster clock speed" CPUs then?

What does Google have to do with anything? Just because Google is investing a lot of money in R&D doesn't negate the fact that Apple likes to incorporate new tech into its products. What part of it don't you understand? And was I knocking you for asserting that Apple's products are more user-friendly? No.

How long have you been an Apple user anyway? I listed at least six new tech that are in rMBP 2016 alone, not to mention their other products. AirPods are essentially designed from the ground up. Seriously, mate? Go home.

13. iScholtz macrumors newbie

iScholtz

You didn’t read the whole comment, did you?

14. shsussman macrumors newbie

shsussman

My 6 Plus lasted almost two years before touch disease kicked in. I dropped my phone OFTEN.

Just had it "repaired" yesterday. They gave me a refurbed 6s Plus and sent me on my way.

Not a bad deal, all told.

-SS

15. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

Well done! That's a pretty good compromise.

Mine had it, was replaced under AppleCare 5 months in, and worked flawlessly ever since.

When I got bored of a white screen on a gold back, I replaced it with a black screen (which killed Touch ID) and had some minor problems. But that thing has been a beast. Now loving 7+ in Jet Black on iOS 10. Perfect phone!