Apple Launches 'Touch Disease' Repair Program for iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 17, 2016.

1. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

Cool story bro. In what apple departement are you working for?

2. akash.nu macrumors 601

akash.nu

Do you not believe him?

3. gwaizai, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

gwaizai macrumors member

gwaizai

Playing with fire is right...Apple better wake up and smell the boiling-over java: people are sick and tired of being maltreated by elitists who hold all the cards and bend reality to serve their greed. Clinton spent a billion dollars and lost, because people saw through her self-serving lies. Apple can fall just as easily one day too.

4. akash.nu macrumors 601

akash.nu

Every company goes through the cycle of ups and downs. That's nothing new though.

5. kaldezar macrumors regular

Totally out of order, it's a design defect and should be fixed free of charge no question, and if you live in the EU it will be even if the fault occurs many years after purchase (up to 5 years and 6 years in the UK) it's called consumer protection for the unfortunate souls saddled with the rip off USA.

6. toph2toast, Nov 20, 2016

toph2toast macrumors 6502a

You can believe whatever you want, that's fine. The ironic part is that you say "apple has a long history of reliablity" which is why you believe them, yet there are multiple examples of them doing this exact same thing in the past. From "your holding of wrong" with the iPhone 4, to issues with MacBooks, etc., etc.

Also, you keep saying you want evidence. How exactly are people supposed to get a video of their broken phone out of the box? Not a lot of people have 2 phones and it's possible they go to the store themselves. For all of your whining about evidence, it isn't exactly easy to provide so lighten up a bit.

7. akash.nu macrumors 601

akash.nu

Unfortunately us in the UK will not enjoy that benefit anymore in a couple of years.

8. adenbeckitt macrumors member

The UK law (up to 6 years) already supersedes the EU one (2 years) so it won't change at all.

9. Sam_S macrumors regular

10. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Yes.

The issue doesn't occur as often because of its smaller size.

11. H2SO4, Nov 20, 2016

H2SO4 macrumors 68040

I wouldn’t necessarily call it rip off USA. They have their own methods of dealing, (class action which I used to think was stupid), which is what happens with the way their economy is structured. Each system has its merits.

If it makes any difference, according to iMore, the full statement is;
    Apple has determined that some iPhone 6 Plus devices may exhibit display flickering or Multi-Touch issues after being dropped multiple times on a hard surface and then incurring further stress on the device. If your iPhone 6 Plus is exhibiting the symptoms noted above, is in working order, and the screen is not cracked or broken, Apple will repair your device for a service price of $149.

Furthermore, fro iFixit;
    Apple’s statement confirms what the independent repair industry has been sayingfor a long time: the problem is failed solder joints beneath the touch IC components. Apple is correct that dropping the device onto a hard surface could cause this issue. But that’s not the only cause: we have seen this problem on phones that have never been dropped. And in phones that have lived their entire lives protected in cases. The root problem is insufficient structural support around the logic board.

Apple is calling this the “Multi-Touch Repair Program”, but it looks like they are not actually repairing customers’ phones. An Apple Genius told us that they are swapping customer phones with a refurbished device. The repair service does not transfer your data over to the new device — customers must backup their important information. We chatted with Apple Support and they told us that the warranty for the repair is 90 days.

12. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Seriously all Apple had to do, was offer the fix for free and charge only if the device was physically damaged. That would've been fair IMO. And LOL to the person who said Apple has a history of reliability. Just in the last 6 years alone: AntennaGate, Apple Maps, the bending issue, iOS 8, iOS 9, and iOS 10

13. jujufreeze, Nov 20, 2016

jujufreeze macrumors 6502a

'Repair Program' costs $150 to fix due to 'user error'. Totally not Apple's fault at all :rolleyes:

14. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Holy smokes Apple should hire someone like Jessa Jones to negate the damage done by "is it more thin and have we removed any ports and called it innovation yet" Schiller. Yet they're busy banning her from their support forums!

Also if I know anything about corporate working - the way the decision to ask for $149 and blame it on dropping/misuse was made because many people's asses would be on line if they said "Phil forced us to make the iPhone thinner and we had to commit a bunch of gaffes in design and manufacturing to get there". If you instead blame it on the user and make money off of it - hey here's some promotion for you!

15. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

"The Apple movement" I nearly died laughing reading that :D

16. Pentium macrumors 6502

Pentium

lol
    Believe it or not, we got a new iPhone 6 Plus!

17. snowtiger1st macrumors newbie

snowtiger1st

--- Post Merged, Nov 21, 2016 ---
    And what is with my 6 128 GB not worth repairing, I am facing the same issues, never dropped my phone though.
    Yes I am Struggling with just that issue

18. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

All I can say is that this program was the last straw for me. I sold my new refurb unit with Apple warranty on Craig's List. I had four iPhone 6 Plus models replaced in two years under AppleCare for failing logic boards. I never sat on my iPhones. Three of four had never been dropped and the one that was dropped had been dropped once and was in a protective case with no external damage. What Apple refuses to admit is that the damage to the board is caused primarily by the fact that the iPhone's casing is twisting and thus breaking the solder and/or board. Although damage may result occasionally from a drop, most of the failing logic boards I experienced could not have been caused by drops or abuse.

Compare my iPhone 6+ units to the CDMA (Verizon) (glass) iPhone 4 that I possessed back in the day. I never had a single problem and it was never damaged externally or internally despite (I am embarrassed to say) the fact that it was repeatedly dropped while in a protective case. (I have learned to be more careful and changed to a different case.) Or compare this to the iPhone 5 units in protective cases which my spouse and daughter possess which have been dropped numerous times even on concrete and never sustained any external or internal damage. My point here is that phones get dropped and if protected should not suffer internal damage most of the time from minor drops. (All drops were from the waist level or lower.) The frailty of this design as implied by Apple (i.e., internal damage if dropped once) is pathetic and this "Repair Program" is a bunch of malarkey.

I bought an SE over the weekend and couldn't be happier. Proven design and fairly recent internal components mean I will have this for a very long time. Hopefully the next design will prove more robust.

19. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

Its hard to believe that fairy tale since i got screwed by "Apple magic support" many times. Look around you,the truth is out there,even in this thread you can read "Apple wants to charge customers for his own manufacturing issue".You just need to focus to read.I know its hard,but try. But we are in luck because Department of Justice will solve this issue really quickly.

20. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

My iPhone 6+ was never dropped. It is in mint condition...no scratches no dings etc... Less than two years later it developed this issue. The genius at the apple bar told me that the phone was not bent at all (usually the case with this issue) and that the phone looked to be in excellent condition.

Apple has a manufacturing defect in these phones so blaming the consumer is not right.

21. Moorepheus macrumors 6502

Moorepheus

Some people find it hard that others can take care of their devices. I was in the same boat as you. I just used my AT&T insurance to get a new phone. While yes, I paid $100 for the new phone, it was still cheaper than the $150 than APPLE wants to steal from everyone, AT&T also gave me a 6s+, which I thought was nice of them. However, if there is a class action against them on this I will join it and ask for my $100 back. See what happens.

22. dendkmac macrumors member

dendkmac

Had the issue with my 6+ no resolution at the time and moved on to another manufactures phone, no more apple devices.

23. snowtiger1st macrumors newbie

snowtiger1st

Yeah Right, as if ;)
    Well Well,
    and what about the iPhone 6, I do just have the same issue but not replacement is been offered here.
    For the record, i Never dropped my Phone at all, plus I do have a good Cover, if I would had the urge to throw my phone to the ground. Lucky as I am, I bought the 128GB version so that was not cheap at all. Why there is no Exchange Programm for that ? :mad::apple::mad::mad::mad:

24. AppleCommander macrumors newbie

That is ridiculous. Gone are the days of good quality control and "it just works."

25. pier macrumors 6502

pier

Which is ridiculous considering it's a design flaw. It is going to fail again, just like what happened with the MBP 2011.