Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
What a pity Apple isn't also supporting photographers by continuing to produce professional level software.

Apple never really had wanted to do software for consumers or Pros. Each market they moved into was because the developers were neglecting Apple platforms. In each case developers were forced to step up thier game. This why Apple is willing to support them via their marketing campaigns.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
The only reason I like these ads is they are genuinely shot on iPhones. Almost all adverts in this genre are fakes or shot on pro gear with unrealistic expectations of the advertised product. Apple seems to appreciate we ain't dumb.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
This is just makerting ! Irony being apple has dropped the ball with it's photo editing software.

Give a photographer any smartphone and they will produce you amazing pictures

Apple is reallocating the resources to what they need to focus on. They have show Adobe and others that they are willing and able to compete in their market if they refuse to give Macs equal development attention. Much of what Adobe is doing on the Mac would be there otherwise.

There is a reason pros are not using those other phones in the same way. Pictures taken using an over boosted screen look terrible on anything else. Consumers accept it because the people they send them too think it's a filter. No it just looks like crap.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Really liking this truly global campaign!

But, does anybody know if Apple are crediting these elsewhere then their website?
And also, how are all these photographers contacted?

The photographers are credited on the billboards at the bottom right.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
What this is about is attracting more people who hoard thousands of rarely revisited images on their phones to store it all on the iCloud for dough.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
wish the phone manufacturers would stop relying on gimmicks such as camera and megapixels to try and sell their products. they were doing the same thing 10 years ago, trying to say that their phones take professional quality photos, and nothing has changed since then.

it's like gaming console wars - always trying to one-up each other with using terms and numbers that gamers don't care about. no one cares how many triangles it renders, or how many cores a gpu has as long as it provides a good gaming experience.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
This is when sales die down and with Samsung showing off 2 models that basically kill even the Note 4 Apple has has to push the advertising hard.
This is Samsungs year. Apple better rethink those S models because it will give Samsung so much momentum. People that just flipped over to Apple could be drawn back to Android because of the S6.
And I would be shocked if Apple releases a 16GB phone. Tim Cook will just be handing over the crown to Samsung.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Luckily for you Apple does read these forums and have taken your opinion into consideration, please give them 24-48 hrs to begin removing all ad placements from building, billboards, magazines and online to accommodate you.

:D i almost spilled my coffee. Thank you! Hillarious comment!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This is when sales die down and with Samsung showing off 2 models that basically kill even the Note 4 Apple has has to push the advertising hard.
This is Samsungs year. Apple better rethink those S models because it will give Samsung so much momentum. People that just flipped over to Apple could be drawn back to Android because of the S6.
And I would be shocked if Apple releases a 16GB phone. Tim Cook will just be handing over the crown to Samsung.

You're joking, right?

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Why don't they feature the video camera? In my honest opinion this is the REAL benefit of the new iPhones! The digital stabilizer of the iPhone 6 is pretty amazing and better than anything I saw before.

Here I made some demos (have a little sightseeing tour in Vienna, Austria):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S08JFHhC2V8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpew5yf3EUY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wg1JTJDE7c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqQtjoeqFxI

YouTube doesn't support the extra-smooth 60 frames per second though. When you watch your self-made clips via Apple TV on a huge modern tv set: Be prepared to be really impressed!

Note: When you record a video with iPhone 6 you won't recognize the image stabilizer during shooting. It will be applied by saving the file. When you watch it later the stabilization will be visible. Don't forget to switch to 60 fps in the camera settings!

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I don't get the VSCOCam UI, I think it's clunky. My fav is still Camera360.

Yea VSCO cam has a weird UI but it's brilliant once you get your head around it. IMO it has the best collection of filters - really takes photos to the next level, without being overbearing like Instagram.

The trick is to realize that you need to import everything persistently first, as it treats every photo like its own project. It's annoying but then it allows you to go back and tweak or easily export after the fact. And you end up with a nice gallery. Other thing is, the effects can be scaled 1-10 intensity so you can be subtle if you like.

I shot my sister in laws wedding a few weeks ago with my micro four-thirds camera, edited via VSCO cam on iPad and she was really pleased with the results.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Give those same photographers a htc , nokia or Samsung , and the results would be just as impressive. Issue here is that the iPhone 6 does not have a camera that is so much better than the competition.

You clearly already have a preconceived notion about what you want to think about the campaign and are upset that the company you support isn't doing anything similar. Expensive tools do not a great artist make, and a great artist can create great things from anything. The point is that great artists can still make great art from their camera phone instead of an expensive DSLR.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009

Oh stop the hors **** please!!! The year of Samsung, sure!! The year when Samsung finally gave up everything they previously used to bash Apple and to convince the customers that "It is the same thing, but cheaper". Non-removable battery, no memory card slot, all metal and glass, cut 40% of the existing features that were previously used to convince us in the superiority of the touch wiz over ios. Como on man! You are pathetic troll or the one of the most deshonest persons I have ever met, nothing less could explain the stupidity behind your false statments.

p.d. Samsung use 40% less features in SG compared to SG5 as a feature itself for the new phone...thats how much they belive in their own software and the new **** they were throwing to us multiple times a year trough their endless game of smarthphone. You have to be complete moron or ignorant imbecil to choose to buy SG6 if you have the option to get iPhone 6 for the same price.

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Why don't they feature the video camera? In my honest opinion this is the REAL benefit of the new iPhones! The digital stabilizer of the iPhone 6 is pretty amazing

Nice footage. I'm not sure if it's YouTube or my connection, but the footage exhibited an occasional stuttering.

Also, wasn't stabilization a feature of just the iPhone 6 Plus?

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013

Lmao good one. I thought you was serious for a minute.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
What about this thread?

My iPhone 6 ruins fine details with excessive noise reduction and actually pushed me to get a DSLR.

Auto focus is excellent though.

akicreative

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
My photo is one of the selected.

1. I am not a professional photographer.

2. I sent them the photo untouched. No post processing. They didn't even crop it (but it should have been in my opinion)

3. I took it with the iPhone 6 Camera App.

4. They did take time to validate that it was indeed taken by an iPhone 6.

5. They found the photo using Flickr.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Any decent camera/software

The iPhone camera is a perfectly capable camera, to be sure, but this campaign seems a bit... dumb. The logical fallacy of this campaign is false cause.

Great photos are taken with whatever camera the photographer has on them at the time. Once past a certain threshhold of "quality" or in-lense stylization, what makes a great photo great isn't the camera used to capture it, its the composition and subject/content.

A lot of cool photos are being taken on iPhones because, well, a lot of people, particularly creatives, have iPhones on them when presented with great photo opportunities. Not necessarily because the iPhone's camera or software are particularly or uniquely good or bad.

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
My photo is one of the selected.

1. I am not a professional photographer.

2. I sent them the photo untouched. No post processing. They didn't even crop it (but it should have been in my opinion)

3. I took it with the iPhone 6 Camera App.

4. They did take time to validate that it was indeed taken by an iPhone 6.

5. They found the photo using Flickr.

Great click. And good of you to post here.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Nice footage. I'm not sure if it's YouTube or my connection, but the footage exhibited an occasional stuttering.

Also, wasn't stabilization a feature of just the iPhone 6 Plus?

Optical Image Stabilization indeed is part of the iPhone 6 Plus. However, both iPhone 6 en 6 Plus feature Cinematic Video Stabilization, which is kind of an improvement over the Digital Image Stabilization used since the iPhone 4S.

Of course, Digital Image Stabilization is still in the regular iPhone 6 for photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.