Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'd like to know if any of these photos have been edited somewhere beyond the iPhone itself. This seems pretty vague.

I'm also not crazy about a campaign like this. It isn't deceitful per se but I'm guessing all these photos were taken with manual controls adjusted or editing in some form either on the iPhone itself with an app or with software on a computer.

akicreative

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
I'd like to know if any of these photos have been edited somewhere beyond the iPhone itself. This seems pretty vague.

I'm also not crazy about a campaign like this. It isn't deceitful per se but I'm guessing all these photos were taken with manual controls adjusted or editing in some form either on the iPhone itself with an app or with software on a computer.

I can only speak for my photo, I did no editing, I had no manual controls changed, I used the iPhone Camera app. The image they posted is exactly as my iPhone took it. No editing. No special software. Simply the photo that my iPhone took.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
"Shot on iPhone 5c"

To bad :apple: skipped out on low light photos.
Would be nice to se how much better photos like this would be..

Attachments

• theFog.jpg
    theFog.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I can only speak for my photo, I did no editing, I had no manual controls changed, I used the iPhone Camera app. The image they posted is exactly as my iPhone took it. No editing. No special software. Simply the photo that my iPhone took.

I saw that skyline picture on the London Underground this morning. Didn't think it would belong to someone on here! I will take a picture and post it here when I see it again!

PunkRocker

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
Shot on iPhone 5s. Oh wait. Wrong campaign.

Attachments

• Route 66 - New Mexico.png
    Route 66 - New Mexico.png
    669.7 KB · Views: 97

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010

Why is it hard to believe the iPhone can take top quality photos without the help of editing them? There are threads in the iPhone forum that have great shots and are not edited.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Wow it's not that serious guys it's just a real basic ad campaign like any other you see on any billboard from any other company i.e. Auto manufactures.
You don't like it? Then keep your eyes on the road and carry on..if your day has gotten worst after you looked up at any of these ads, you have problems that far outweigh apple's business strategy.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Good luck getting them a Nokia...

Actually Nokia is one of the better ones, you would have been better off having a go at HTC

----------

You clearly already have a preconceived notion about what you want to think about the campaign and are upset that the company you support isn't doing anything similar. Expensive tools do not a great artist make, and a great artist can create great things from anything. The point is that great artists can still make great art from their camera phone instead of an expensive DSLR.

I'm primary a apple fan.

Also being a photographer I kind of have a giggle when companies use pros to pretend thier gear is better. I'm happy for apple to advertise features of the iPhone that are superior to the competition. Using pros to pretend the camera is far superior........ I guess some will fall for it.....or many

Happy for apple to post images taken by average joe.

----------

Why is it hard to believe the iPhone can take top quality photos without the help of editing them? There are threads in the iPhone forum that have great shots and are not edited.

Depends on what you compare them to. Jump over to a photography forum, and you will realise how huge the gap is.

iPhone takes very good pics, no denying it. Though it's not until you post process that the magic happens

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

The point is there is a grey area. Some of these photos have been edited. The example on Daring Fireball is proof.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Physics ?

Well, a great photo is esthetically great. So, unless Physics has an impact on how brain cells evaluate photos, I'm not sure what your talking about...

In the hand of newbie, a 10K camera won't produce great photos no matter how much they try... I've seen this often.

Conversely, out of the hundreds of millions of Apple owners, I'm pretty sure quite a few are pretty good at composition and good usage of light, selecting subjects, etc. Things not impacted by physics at all.

Even a technically poor photo, can be have great esthetics. The two are no linked.

----------

Actually Nokia is one of the better ones, you would have been better off having a go at HTC

----------

I'm primary a apple fan.

Also being a photographer I kind of have a giggle when companies use pros to pretend thier gear is better. I'm happy for apple to advertise features of the iPhone that are superior to the competition. Using pros to pretend the camera is far superior........ I guess some will fall for it.....or many

Happy for apple to post images taken by average joe.

----------

Depends on what you compare them to. Jump over to a photography forum, and you will realise how huge the gap is.

iPhone takes very good pics, no denying it. Though it's not until you post process that the magic happens

I'd argue that it doesn't quite depend on what you compared them to. The esthetics of the shot talk for themselves. Even if you take a similar shot with a much better camera, doesn't mean the shot is more artistically pleasing. It could be, but it is not a given. But, hey, we're talking art, so everyone's view is right here :).

----------

It tells you on the web site if you care to go there. I believe most were not edited.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
The point is there is a grey area. Some of these photos have been edited. The example on Daring Fireball is proof.

You say that like some kind of nefarious scheme has been unearthed. You found proof! The story on Daring Fireball says that the photo in question was 'edited' using a $4 iPhone app. Apple's website says the exact same thing: Filterstorm Neue. Look it up, it's really nothing special.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
This is very cool but I figured they would be using these advertising $$ on promoting their upcoming watch... Not that they dont have endless money it just seems weird to me haha.

Consider this: With Apple perhaps expecting the inevitable waning of interest for the latest iPhones, due in part to the supply/demand situation having balanced, and potential purchasers already speculating about, and looking forward to iPhone 6S, a little advertising can go a long way in keeping sales of the current models robust.

Additionally, and perhaps even more compelling: For now only being compatible with iPhone6/6+, the upcoming :apple:Watch's success would benefit greatly from, and depends somewhat on, the largest possible number of iPhone6/6+ units in customers hands, so in that context this advertising campaign to promote the latest iPhones seems to make perfect sense.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
My photo is one of the selected.

1. I am not a professional photographer.

2. I sent them the photo untouched. No post processing. They didn't even crop it (but it should have been in my opinion)

3. I took it with the iPhone 6 Camera App.

4. They did take time to validate that it was indeed taken by an iPhone 6.

5. They found the photo using Flickr.

Stunning! I have a few photos like this, but not selected :mad:

----------

Wow it's not that serious guys it's just a real basic ad campaign like any other you see on any billboard from any other company i.e. Auto manufactures.
You don't like it? Then keep your eyes on the road and carry on..if your day has gotten worst after you looked up at any of these ads, you have problems that far outweigh apple's business strategy.

Don't you think after Watch, Apple should create iCool? It would be popular for those who always looking for faults in every Apple things.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
You say that like some kind of nefarious scheme has been unearthed. You found proof! The story on Daring Fireball says that the photo in question was 'edited' using a $4 iPhone app. Apple's website says the exact same thing: Filterstorm Neue. Look it up, it's really nothing special.

That's true. But I doubt you can see that on a billboard.

alexburton1995

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
They can't compete

What a pity Apple isn't also supporting photographers by continuing to produce professional level software.

They can't compete with Photoshop and Lightroom. Its too deep in the mainstream. Aperture never really took off along with iPhoto which had some basic editing tools and no more. Photoshop and Lightroom is the go-to tool for professionals and there will be no better tool out there.

somenametouse

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
aki is correct

My photo is one of the selected.

1. I am not a professional photographer.

2. I sent them the photo untouched. No post processing. They didn't even crop it (but it should have been in my opinion)

3. I took it with the iPhone 6 Camera App.

4. They did take time to validate that it was indeed taken by an iPhone 6.

5. They found the photo using Flickr.

So much senseless misconception here. People clearly haven't bothered to read the Apple web site even. They are completely transparent about what apps/hardware was used (extra lenses etc). I also have a photo in the campaign, I'm not a pro, my shot is not manipulated/filtered/processed in any way, we were compensated, it's an off the shelf phone and not some special prototype! The crazy ***** some people think up is beyond me.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
What a pity Apple isn't also supporting photographers by continuing to produce professional level software.

What a pity we have incessant whiners at every turn. Move on!

"incessant whiner"? Is it whining, incessant or otherwise, to say that I enjoy using Aperture and would like to continue to do so. You need to move on, to different meds...

Maybe they've decided to leave that to app developers.

That is the pity.

Apple never really had wanted to do software for consumers or Pros. Each market they moved into was because the developers were neglecting Apple platforms. In each case developers were forced to step up thier game. This why Apple is willing to support them via their marketing campaigns.

I don't believe Apple never wanted to do software and only did so because their platform was neglected. Certainly Photoshop and Lightroom were available for Mac when Aperture came out and I personally prefer it.

----------

They can't compete with Photoshop and Lightroom. Its too deep in the mainstream. Aperture never really took off along with iPhoto which had some basic editing tools and no more. Photoshop and Lightroom is the go-to tool for professionals and there will be no better tool out there.

They can't really compete with Microsoft Office either but continue to do so.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
The frase "Shot on iPhone 6" can hardly be read standing still, imagine from a moving car.

This is just a bad design choice, what a shame.

Vane

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2013
The large-scale marketing initiative has started rolling out in several countries across the world this week, including the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Thailand, Malaysia, Tokyo and United Arab Emirates.

Tokyo? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.