Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Consider this: With Apple perhaps expecting the inevitable waning of interest for the latest iPhones, due in part to the supply/demand situation having balanced, and potential purchasers already speculating about, and looking forward to iPhone 6S, a little advertising can go a long way in keeping sales of the current models robust.

Additionally, and perhaps even more compelling: For now only being compatible with iPhone6/6+, the upcoming :apple:Watch's success would benefit greatly from, and depends somewhat on, the largest possible number of iPhone6/6+ units in customers hands, so in that context this advertising campaign to promote the latest iPhones seems to make perfect sense.

Good call there!

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
Quite some big ad

Shot in Zurich, Switzerland

B_Uz6iCXAAAPxjG.jpg:large

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
And also, how are all these photographers contacted?
And also, I'd like to know how they find the pics.

What a pity Apple isn't also supporting photographers by continuing to produce professional level software.
+1

Beautiful! can I steal it?! But seriously, is it edited or filtered?

My photo is one of the selected.

1. I am not a professional photographer.

2. I sent them the photo untouched. No post processing. They didn't even crop it (but it should have been in my opinion)

3. I took it with the iPhone 6 Camera App.

4. They did take time to validate that it was indeed taken by an iPhone 6.

5. They found the photo using Flickr.
Thanks for sharing. So they contacted you through Flickr? I wonder if they have a whole team for this. Pretty cool.

----------

I for one think the campaign is really cool. It seems they are using genuine shot on iPhone and untouched pics.

Taking beautiful pics is all about capturing light. The perfect storm of light results in beautiful pics, no matter the camera.

Neatsfoot

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
a sucker is born every minuter

I have seen these ads by DC busstops. One at 21st and P is particularly pathetic. Standing next to it, it is patently obviously it was taken by an 8 mp Iphone. The resolution is awful. Not that that is the phone's fault - the camera simply was not designed for billboard sized photos.

Applefans might note that for all the chitter about how wonderful the Icameras are despite their weak specfications, the flaccid 8mp of the 6 contributed to the poor resolution of this photo.

Had Apple deigned to use photos from my Samsung s4 (13 mp, came out 2 years ago), the resolution would have been better. Probably not good enough for a billboard blowup though.

Still the ad campaign will certainly get Isheep to shell out more money for the next round of Iphones, outdated techonogyly and all.

I dare say no iphone could take the photos I post below. No prize winners,but uses Samsung's (dual image) software wherein both front and back cameras work at the same time. A favorite, especially on Valentine's day, where the back image is the shape of a heart, with two people inside.

These photos are what smartphones are all about, enhancing people in the camera. Leave the landscapes to medium format. The pretentious effort to claim a smartphone could replicate such a camera is why my home is an "Apple free zone"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7isx08it28si2q/10614661_10152266321429117_1348786181_o.jpg?dl=0

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=a.36414414116.49054.657809116&type=1&theater

Apple, yesterday's techonology, tomorrows prices.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

LudwigZildjian

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
NY
I'd like to see the photo campaign, they should show what the iPhone can do, regardless of editing.... The iPhone is still the primary imaging capturer giving the base to the photo, which gives a great picture.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I'd like to see the photo campaign, they should show what the iPhone can do, regardless of editing.... The iPhone is still the primary imaging capturer giving the base to the photo, which gives a great picture.

They already do. Many, maybe most of the photos have no editing at all and says so on their web page.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I have seen these ads by DC busstops. One at 21st and P is particularly pathetic. Standing next to it, it is patently obviously it was taken by an 8 mp Iphone. The resolution is awful. Not that that is the phone's fault - the camera simply was not designed for billboard sized photos.

Applefans might note that for all the chitter about how wonderful the Icameras are despite their weak specfications, the flaccid 8mp of the 6 contributed to the poor resolution of this photo.

Had Apple deigned to use photos from my Samsung s4 (13 mp, came out 2 years ago), the resolution would have been better. Probably not good enough for a billboard blowup though.

Still the ad campaign will certainly get Isheep to shell out more money for the next round of Iphones, outdated techonogyly and all.

I dare say no iphone could take the photos I post below. No prize winners,but uses Samsung's (dual image) software wherein both front and back cameras work at the same time. A favorite, especially on Valentine's day, where the back image is the shape of a heart, with two people inside.

These photos are what smartphones are all about, enhancing people in the camera. Leave the landscapes to medium format. The pretentious effort to claim a smartphone could replicate such a camera is why my home is an "Apple free zone"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7isx08it28si2q/10614661_10152266321429117_1348786181_o.jpg?dl=0

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=a.36414414116.49054.657809116&type=1&theater

Have a nice day.

You have so little clue about photography. The limit to "resolution" is in the sensor size, distance between lenses and sensor and the quality of the optics. Having a higher resolution very small sensor in this case gives you just more noise to capture, not more information.

Go, take some photography classes buddy.

As for quality, read reviews from places that also review high end camera equipment, not some mobile review site that has never seen what good optics and sensors can really do, to see how wrong you really are.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7288085400/dxo-mobile-report-ranks-iphone-6-on-top

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Despite all the snide remarks here, one thing about the iPhone 6 is that pictures taken from the iPhone 6's eight-megapixel sensors are of excellent quality, especially since there is a lot of "behind the scenes" processing to try to get the best picture possible. Besides, you can get really good quality prints from an iPhone 6 camera, even blown up to an 8 by 10 inch print.

It'll be very interesting to see what kind of "behind the scenes" image processing Samsung will incorporate into the Galaxy S 6.

Neatsfoot

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
reply to Isheet

You have so little clue about photography. The limit to "resolution" is in the sensor size, distance between lenses and sensor and the quality of the optics. Having a higher resolution very small sensor in this case gives you just more noise to capture, not more information.

As for quality, read reviews from places that also review high end camera equipment, not some mobile review site that has never seen what good optics and sensors can really do, to see how wrong you really are.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7288085400/dxo-mobile-report-ranks-iphone-6-on-top

Originally Posted by*Neatsfoot*
I have seen these ads by DC busstops. One at 21st and P is particularly pathetic. Standing next to it, it is patently obviously it was taken by an 8 mp Iphone. The resolution is awful. Not that that is the phone's fault - the camera simply was not designed for billboard sized photos.*

Applefans might note that for all the chitter about how wonderful the Icameras are despite their weak specfications, the flaccid 8mp of the 6 contributed to the poor resolution of this photo.*

Had Apple deigned to use photos from my Samsung s4 (13 mp, came out 2 years ago), the resolution would have been better. Probably not good enough for a billboard blowup though.*

Still the ad campaign will certainly get Isheep to shell out more money for the next round of Iphones, outdated techonogyly and all.*

These photos are what smartphones are all about, enhancing people in the camera. Leave the landscapes to medium format. The pretentious effort to claim a smartphone could replicate such a camera is why my home is an "Apple free zone"*

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7isx08it2...181_o.jpg?dl=0

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Have a nice day.

You have so little clue about photography. The limit to "resolution" is in the sensor size, distance between lenses and sensor and the quality of the optics. Having a higher resolution very small sensor in this case gives you just more noise to capture, not more information.""""

I am not addressing the “limit” of resolution, just was any smart phone would look like.
Samsung phones typically blow away Apple phones in side to side tests, notably because of the weak MP of Iphones (among many other things).

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-iphone-5

As I noted, while the composition and the lightingof Apples ad campaign are excellent, the resolution is weak. Not surprisingly, Apple did not post comparisons of photos from iphones to photos from leading Android phones. That is because Apple, always about two years behind, has less megapixels and other such failings,and would be destroyed.

Set forth below are the specfications compared of the 6 plus and the Note 4 (introduced at least 6 months before)
Primary
8 MP, 3264 x 2448 pixels, optical image stabilization, phase detection autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash,check quality
Features
1/3'' sensor size, 1.5µm pixel size, geo-tagging, simultaneous HD video and image recording, touch focus, face/smile detection, HDR (photo/panorama)
Video
1080p@60fps, 720p@240fps, optical stabilization,*check quality
Secondary
1.2 MP, 720p@30fps, face detection, HDR, FaceTime over Wi-Fi or Cellular

CAMERA

Camera
13 megapixels
8 megapixels
Flash
LED
LED
Aperture size
F2.2
F2.4
Focal length (35mm equivalent)
31 mm
33 mm
Camera sensor size
1/3.06"
1/3.2"
Features
Back-illuminated sensor (BSI), CMOS image sensor, Autofocus, Touch to focus, Digital image stabilization, Face detection, Smile detection, Exposure compensation, White balance presets, Digital zoom, Geo tagging, High Dynamic Range mode (HDR), Panorama, Scenes, Effects, Self-timer, Voice activation
Back-illuminated sensor (BSI), Autofocus, Touch to focus, Digital image stabilization, Face detection, Exposure compensation, Digital zoom, Geo tagging, High Dynamic Range mode (HDR), Panorama, Self-timer
Camcorder
1920x1080 (1080p HD) (30 fps)
1920x1080 (1080p HD) (30 fps)
Features
Digital image stabilization
Digital image stabilization, Time-lapse video, Video calling
Front-facing camera
2 megapixels
1.2 megapixels
HARDWARE

“As for quality, read reviews from places that also review high end camera equipment, not some mobile review site that has never seen what good optics and sensors can really do, to see how wrong you really are.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/728...phone-6-on-top”

I note below the comment from Dpriew Article
“Who cares? If you want to take a real photograph, use a DSLR with good optics and a lens shade. Phone cameras have come a long ways and can be handy, but by their very design they are second tier. Try a backlit shot sometime and it will be apparent.”

and

“This is another joke by the "scientist" in dxomark... When an Idevice can take a picture like this without making a white blurry mess, then you might even say that this company has set a gold standard in smartphone photography. Until then, please try not to lie to your readers since many of them trust you... Say the truth, the new Idevice has an average camera for today's standards, nothing that can do better than what any other modern flagship from samsung, htc, sony, etc can do.. and waaay behind what a nokia cameraphone can do.”

This was the point I was making. Does not matter how good Iphone is, it can't match DSLR or medium format as far as quality. It is pretentious at best and misleading at best for Apple to suggest otherwise.
I do note that, even assuming Samsung;s cameras came right beind the Iphone in the Dpreview study. So all things reequal, more megapixels means better resolution. And the study did not examines billboard size photos. So my conclusions stays the same.

Neatsfoot

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
Try better specs?

It'll be very interesting to see what kind of "behind the scenes" image processing Samsung will incorporate into the Galaxy S 6.[/QUOTE]

Hmm . .try a sensor with almost twice the megapixels, like my Samsung S4 (almost two years old))?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
It'll be very interesting to see what kind of "behind the scenes" image processing Samsung will incorporate into the Galaxy S 6.

Hmm . .try a sensor with almost twice the megapixels, like my Samsung S4 (almost two years old))?

Again, no clue. Why not 100x times pixels while your at it if resolution fixes everything. Please read up about optics and sensors because giving us your uninformed opinion next time.

BTW, my Canon G16 with 12MP totally destroys the picture quality of any mobile phone in existence(include your S4), no matter what resolution they claim to have (even the Nokia with 40MP). Why do you think that is hey? I'll let you guess... quality of optics, sensor size, lense to sensor distance.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

Hmm . .try a sensor with almost twice the megapixels, like my Samsung S4 (almost two years old))?[/QUOTE]

Sensor MPX does not always equate to quality. It only equates to sheer amount of detail that the sensor can pick up.

Because photography is based on light physics, there are trade offs for increasing the count of pixels. That typically means smaller pixels on the sensor, which generally turns can cause poorer ability to detect light. Less light on each pixel.

I can still get better quality photos out of my first ever Digital Rebel SLR with 6.2mpx than virtually any camera phone because of the physical size of the sensor, and the physical size of each pixel. I only upgraded that thing because of it's age and how few features and how slow it was. It still makes some wonderful clips

Neatsfoot

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
Again, no clue. Why not 100x times pixels while your at it if resolution fixes everything. Please read up about optics and sensors because giving us your uninformed opinion next time.

BTW, my Canon G16 with 12MP totally destroys the picture quality of any mobile phone in existence(include your S4), no matter what resolution they claim to have (even the Nokia with 40MP). Why do you think that is hey? I'll let you guess... quality of optics, sensor size, lense to sensor distance.

I am sure your canon G6, like my nikon D200, destroys all mobile phones. So why does APple do something as stupid and pretentious as put smartphone shots on billboards and pretend they are any good like that? The one at my bustop is a joke . .

Like the silly "Siri", which has generated class litigation because it does nt work as promised, the billboard campaign is another pretentious effort by Apple to lead people to believe its products are so wonderful. In fact, they are yesterday's technology at tomorrows prices. As my sister-iphone owner exclaimed when I loaned her my S4 when she left her ihphone at home "Oh, this screen is so much better than my iphone"
that pretty much says it all.

I am sure the billboard campaign will get lots of Isheep to upgrade . . in the vain hope someone will actually pay them for a billboard shot . lol

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I am sure your canon G6, like my nikon D200, destroys all mobile phones. So why does APple do something as stupid and pretentious as put smartphone shots on billboards and pretend they are any good like that? The one at my bustop is a joke . .

Like the silly "Siri", which has generated class litigation because it does nt work as promised, the billboard campaign is another pretentious effort by Apple to lead people to believe its products are so wonderful. In fact, they are yesterday's technology at tomorrows prices. As my sister-iphone owner exclaimed when I loaned her my S4 when she left her ihphone at home "Oh, this screen is so much better than my iphone"
that pretty much says it all.

I am sure the billboard campaign will get lots of Isheep to upgrade . . in the vain hope someone will actually pay them for a billboard shot . lol

YOur argument was that the S4 was better because of MP, and that's what you did again with the S4 screen (despite the fact it is pentile and has some other issues). You didn't argue the facts that but went on a tangent. So, basically, again no clue.

I specifically pointed to a review from a well known photography site that disproves your assertions. Yet, you think mentioning your sister somehow weights more than a review from a professional site!! Seriously?

So, basically everything else you say I have to disregard from now on; the use of the word "isheep" just confirmed it will be the right decision. Don't bother replying, I won't be seeing it.

Neatsfoot

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
When is an iphone a hasselblad

I agree with your analysis.

For an intelligent look at how to use a smartphone to produce professional results, see this link:
http://www.photigy.com/iphone-vs-hasselblad-still-thinking-buying-new-camera/

And the author stresses while he was using an iphone, any decent smartphone would do . . .

I also don't care, but I think it has more to do with Apple promoting the iPhone. as something it isn't - professional quality camera.

No professional is selling their Nikon/Canon and relying solely on the iPhone.

That's not to say the iPhone can't take nice photos - particularly when you're using additional hardware (like extra lenses), and photoshopping/filtering the crap out of them.

But these photos really look good because the photographers understand how to control aperture, light, composition, lenses etc. The actual camera itself is not controlling those things. Any idiot with a hammer and chisel won't suddenly start sculpting statues like David.

I think that's why this campaign doesn't really sit right with me. Apple aren't really celebrating the skills of these photographers - they're instead trying to claim credit for those skills and sell the idea that 'you, too, can take photos like this if you just had an iPhone 6'. To me, that's just disrespectful and (I feel) a bit arrogant.

I think the photographers should be credited in the ads rather than just the camera.

But that's just my opinion. I'm sure the campaign will sell millions more phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.