Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to launch an Apple TV Channels bundle that features CBS All Access and Showtime at a discounted price, reports Bloomberg.

apple_tv_channels_cbs.jpg

The bundle, which aims to spur usage of Apple TV+ and the Apple TV Channels feature, will be priced at $9.99 per month. It is set to roll out as early as Monday, and will be available to those who have an Apple TV+ subscription.

Apple already offers access to both CBS All Access and Showtime through Apple TV channels. On a standalone basis, CBS All Access is priced at $9.99 per month and Showtime is priced at $10.99 per month, so this will be a significant savings for those who choose to subscribe through the Apple TV app.

Introduced last year, Channels is an Apple TV app feature that lets Apple device users sign up for and watch various subscription television services right within the Apple TV app.

Users still need to pay for the streaming services, but without the hassle of downloading an app and signing up separately. Some of the Channels available in addition to CBS All Access and Showtime include Starz, Nickelodeon, Mubi, The History Channel Vault, Epix, Comedy Central Now, and more.

Channels is offered alongside Apple TV+, Apple's $4.99 per month streaming service that houses Apple original content.

Article Link: Apple Launching Discounted $9.99 Per Month CBS All Access and Showtime Bundle for Apple TV+ Subscribers

Last edited:

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Next up, I hope, a Sports Bundle that offers On-Demand access to ALL of last season's playoff, tournament & bowl games for Pro & College Football, Pro & College Basketball, & Pro & College Baseball !

Something to get us Sports Fans thru the next 12 months !

Really surprised NO major company has stepped up to the plate has made that happen so far !

Would gladly pay $9.99/month till Live Sports comes-back in Normal Fashion.

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Introduced last year, Channels is an Apple TV app feature that lets Apple device users sign up for and watch various subscription television services right within the Apple TV app.

Users still need to pay for the streaming services, but without the hassle of downloading an app and signing up separately.

Just curious, for anyone who subscribes to premium services via "Channels", does this mean you HAVE to watch the content via the Apple TV app? Or do you still get a user/pass to the service so that you can still download the service's app and login and watch it through their app?

Reactions: Archmage

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
To get this pricing you have to have an Apple TV+ subscription? They are making this so confusing and most people are just going to give up on the platform because of the complexity.

I like the tv+, and can figure it out, but things just keep changing.....no more hbo sign up as a channel in the app.....Apple special events no longer a standalone app and you have to hunt for it in the tv+ app....no continuity in what you’ve watched or what’s up next when you go to your Mac.....When playing movies in the plus app you don’t know if they are 4k or not....Keep it simple please!!!!

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Does that apply for those of us on a free Apple TV+ year-subscription? (Received from buying a Mac last winter.)

I've got to say, that's a decent bundle price. If Apple could produce bundles like that using not just their services but third-party ones, I think there is a lot of potential there...

Reactions: matrix07 and Ar40

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
To get this pricing you have to have an Apple TV+ subscription? They are making this so confusing and most people are just going to give up on the platform because of the complexity.

I like the tv+, and can figure it out, but things just keep changing.....no more hbo sign up as a channel in the app.....Apple special events no longer a standalone app and you have to hunt for it in the tv+ app....no continuity in what you’ve watched or what’s up next when you go to your Mac.....When playing movies in the plus app you don’t know if they are 4k or not....Keep it simple please!!!!

Completely agree - I'm already pretty tired of all the hunting and pecking for content apps via the Apple TV box and now directly from new LG TV. I thought the LG has Apple TV built in, but I see shows like "The Morning Show" showing up - I thought that was Apple TV+ content? So friggin' confusing and complicated.
Apple TV - the Box
Apple TV - the app
Apple TV+ - the service?
Then there's content offered from within Apple TV - and then oftentimes also separately from your TV set. If you really want to confuse things, hook up your Apple TV box to your TV and enjoy "Apple TV" on either the box or the app :-( Three places from which to start the same content :-(

• Disagree
Reactions: erniefairchild1

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
This is gonna be tempting if this is still around during Champions League next season. I'm on a free trial through the end of the month for CBSAA.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I might pay $10/mo for all three, but I can’t see myself paying that on top of AppleTV+. Not for Showtime and CBS. Toss in Epix or Cinemax and it’s a deal.

• Disagree
Reactions: erniefairchild1

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Very appealing. I already subscribe the minimal commercial subscription of CBS All Access ($4.99) and Showtime ($12) through Comcast. I could drop both and resubscribe here.

Does anyone know (1) Can I create accounts for CAA & Sho that can be used on other devices if I subscribe through aTV+ and (2) Is this the limited commercial or no commercial version of CAA?

Reactions: Ar40

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Big win. I plan on taking this offer. I have a backlog of shows on both Showtime and CBS to watch. Gotta catch up on Picard, Below Decks, Twilight Zone, Survivor, and Homeland.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I’d be all over this but CBS AllAccess is essentially useless in Canada because its crown jewel, the Star Trek franchises, are licensed to Crave and are excluded from the CBS AllAccess library.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Completely agree - I'm already pretty tired of all the hunting and pecking for content apps via the Apple TV box and now directly from new LG TV. I thought the LG has Apple TV built in, but I see shows like "The Morning Show" showing up - I thought that was Apple TV+ content? So friggin' confusing and complicated.
Apple TV - the Box
Apple TV - the app
Apple TV+ - the service?
Then there's content offered from within Apple TV - and then oftentimes also separately from your TV set. If you really want to confuse things, hook up your Apple TV box to your TV and enjoy "Apple TV" on either the box or the app :-( Three places from which to start the same content :-(

Yes. They need to rebrand the app as either ‘up next’ or ‘listings’. Solve the issue where some apps don’t sync up in it. They can keep the box named Apple TV as fits with other hardware and the service Apple TV + as it fits with other streaming platforms. But the app, that needs to go.

Reactions: Ar40

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Just curious, for anyone who subscribes to premium services via "Channels", does this mean you HAVE to watch the content via the Apple TV app? Or do you still get a user/pass to the service so that you can still download the service's app and login and watch it through their app?
The channel only. Which is a good thing, as most of the streaming apps have a much lower bitrate and quality compared to Apple Channels. Also, nice to be able to cancel quickly through a single interface in iCloud. And, a lot of the apps are horribly clunky (Britbox for example, is horribly laggy in its own app, but perfectly smooth as a channel).

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Does anyone know (1) Can I create accounts for CAA & Sho that can be used on other devices if I subscribe through aTV+ and (2) Is this the limited commercial or no commercial version of CAA?
(1) I don't think so. (2) So far only the commercial-free version was available as an Apple TV channel, so I guess that's also what will be in this bundle.

Reactions: b11051973 and Ar40

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
We have the CBS commercial free already through Apple. Is this the same CBS you are mentioning?
If not is the commercial free available, at what cost?
Apple only offers commercial free as a channel option. So, you would be saving $10 on Showtime, assuming you have Apple TV+.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017

That was HBO's choice to remove its channel. I don't think the other things you mentioned are confusing tbh.

Also, all movies which are original to TV+ are in 4K. That doesn't apply to movies you watch in the Apple TV app, which you buy from iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.