Apple Leaks New Apple Watch Sizes Coming in 40mm and 44mm

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is facing a series of leaks in the hours ahead of its "Gather Round" event at Apple Park in Cupertino, California, and this time information about the new version of Apple Watch has been revealed. According to AllThingsHow, Apple udpated its sitemap files ahead of the event, which included links to Apple Watch in new 40mm and 44mm sizes.

[​IMG]

These are believed to be the new Apple Watch models about to be announced later today, although they don't carry a "Series 4" designation in the sitemap and are simply called "Apple Watch." The sizes include both GPS and GPS + Cellular configurations, and include the colors Silver, Space Gray, and Gold.

In 40mm, there's also a few Nike and Hermès options. Hermès includes an Indigo Craie Orange Double Tour band with a Stainless Steel case, and Nike has Pure Platinum Black Sport Band, Summit White Sport Loop, Anthracite Black Sport Band, and Black Sport Loop paired with various aluminum cases.

[​IMG]

These new sizes appear to be upgrades from the previous generation of case sizes, with Apple increasing the cases from 38mm to 40mm for the small size and from 42mm to 44mm for the large size. Apple measures these cases vertically. In terms of width, the current 38mm Apple Watch is 33.3mm wide and the 42mm Apple Watch is 35.9mm wide.

The 40mm and 44mm sizes roughly align with a prediction made by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in July, who stated Apple would reveal two models measuring in at around 39.9mm and 45.2mm.

The upcoming Apple Watch's big new feature will be a display that's 15 percent larger, thanks to reduced bezels and likely the slightly increased case size. In a leak a few weeks back, we got a glimpse at a new watch face for Apple Watch, including one that had space for as many as eight complications.

Article Link: Apple Leaks New Apple Watch Sizes Coming in 40mm and 44mm

2. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502a

Godzilla71

3. Enclavean macrumors newbie

Enclavean

4. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Wait. So our old bands won’t work with the new watch?

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

As long as my bands are compatible, I have no issue with new sizes.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2018 ---
    I think they will be, but You will find out in matter of hours.

6. nicho macrumors 68020

Dear god I hope not, unless they only stretch it vertically. Any change in width = all previous bands incompatible.

7. chasonstone macrumors regular

chasonstone

I do really hope the old bands work with the new sizes. Fingers crossed!

8. evansls macrumors regular

evansls

As a developer myself -- It would be frustrating to soft launch my files, yet some how the public is still finding my orphaned pages.

9. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Hopefully this -
    38mm work with 40mm
    42mm work with 44mm

On the plus side quite alot of retailers will be selling off official straps that have outdated packaging.

10. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

11. ondert macrumors regular

ondert

Fingers crossed for ECG support. Also, keeping the current bands compatible should be a must.

12. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

This deflated my excitement a little bit. I have small wrists and the 38mm already looks chunky. Hopefully this means they are somewhat thinner.

13. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Why wouldn't they work? They did work fine on 2 different sizes, can't see why wouldn't they work on the new sizes. But you could be right, even though I trust Apple may have figured away to make it work. I still think the change is only on the display and not the watch body.

14. mathewkam macrumors newbie

Apple appears to have leaked the names of its new iPhone lineup on its website, just hours before the company is due to officially announce them at its Gather Round event later today.

Founded by ATH in a product sitemap hosted on apple.com, it confirms the iPhone names. iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max and iPhone XR.

Aside the new iPhones, the Apple Watch Series 4 will now be in 40mm and 44mm (instead of the old 38mm and 42mm).

The new sports colour watch bands will now come in

white, black, pink sand, stone, lavender grey, nectarine, blue horizon and midnight blue.

Anyone interested to collect all the band colours again?

15. MALmen macrumors member

16. d0minick macrumors 6502

instant buy if there is a ecg monitor. im not even excited for the phones for the first time in a LONG time. The watch though, is really coming in to its own.

17. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

The current watches require separate band sizes for 38mm and 42mm

18. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Hopefully they are thinner to compensate.

19. pete2106 macrumors regular

pete2106

As much as I want it to happen today, doesn't look like it will. :(

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How so? When you bought a watch band you had to select the size.

21. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

22. Marzel macrumors member

Unfortunately, it won't happen today. I'm waiting for it as well but for now I'll have to settle for a new Apple Watch:).

23. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

I like that the Apple Watch is square and not round. I have been wishing the would make a bigger model. I hope that this is true.

24. jhuynh, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018

jhuynh macrumors regular

It's the screen size that changed. I have a feeling the casing is going to be the exact same size for the smaller and larger sizes, there will just be less bezel.

EDIT: actually I'm wrong, the 38mm and 42mm refers the to height of the case as in the article.

25. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I'd be happy if they just sold watch faces without a band considering I have 4 straps I like already - basing the straps being the same fitment/compatible. I imagine quite a few people will be in the same scenario, don't particularly intend on using the band on the watch they'll buy. Less waste on materials and packaging.