Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonofAnarchy69

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
My patina friends this is not a pic for heart attackers ...

I used my detailing car products to regenerate my leather cover ...

727d1d086aa60bbf9c11f2f9eb203c96.jpg

See the differences
It looks like the right side has a layer of some sort of balm/conditioner applied if you ask me ...?

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Got a saddle brown today, next to my my wife’s brown nomad rugged folio that’s 8 months old it looks like baby poo.

19B0CD62-3B77-4892-9E73-0A2CB1544133.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JamiLynee

jlyaamu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2018
jlyaamu

What does the texture feel like 10 weeks into the forest green? Is it comparable to something like the Saddle Brown after it starts to patina?
The case has more grip. I would attribute this to the oils from my skin and whatever else the leather picks up as it sits on various surfaces. I also lotion after washing my hands so that’s probably part of it too.

The overall texture of my case is still similar to the beginning though.

Brance

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016
Spokane, WA
The case has more grip. I would attribute this to the oils from my skin and whatever else the leather picks up as it sits on various surfaces. I also lotion after washing my hands so that’s probably part of it too.

The overall texture of my case is still similar to the beginning though.
I appreciate your reply! I was wondering because I've had the Saddle Brown since launch and I really like the texture of it now. I've tried the Forest Green in the past and wasn't a huge fan of the texture but I'm thinking of giving it another shot and really using it for a few months. If it gets more grip, then that sounds pretty great. I wash my hands frequently so I think it takes longer for my cases to patina from my hand oil haha

jlyaamu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2018
I appreciate your reply! I was wondering because I've had the Saddle Brown since launch and I really like the texture of it now. I've tried the Forest Green in the past and wasn't a huge fan of the texture but I'm thinking of giving it another shot and really using it for a few months. If it gets more grip, then that sounds pretty great. I wash my hands frequently so I think it takes longer for my cases to patina from my hand oil haha
You’re welcome! The way you felt about the green is the way I felt about the saddle brown. I returned it because of the texture and went with green...I haven’t looked back. To each it’s own though. We like what we like LoL

Brance

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016
Spokane, WA
You’re welcome! The way you felt about the green is the way I felt about the saddle brown. I returned it because of the texture and went with green...I haven’t looked back. To each it’s own though. We like what we like LoL
Absolutely lol different strokes for different folks!

At this point, I'm hoping and praying that
1. The rumors of a 5.4inch iPhone this September are true
and
2. That Apple returns to the full-wrap style from the 5s days for the leather cases.

Or if Apple could buy Nomad and make them produce full-wrap leather cases, that would be cool with me.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Absolutely lol different strokes for different folks!

At this point, I'm hoping and praying that
1. The rumors of a 5.4inch iPhone this September are true
and
2. That Apple returns to the full-wrap style from the 5s days for the leather cases.

Or if Apple could buy Nomad and make them produce full-wrap leather cases, that would be cool with me.

they didn’t make them for the xr or 11, will be same for 5.4, pro only.

Brance

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016
Spokane, WA
they didn’t make them for the xr or 11, will be same for 5.4, pro only.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. The 5.4 would be the new cheap one, so no leather case. I'm hoping Apple gets it together this year and offers leather cases for all sizes. They made a couple silicone ones for the 11, now give us the leather ones.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
sooo i bought a new one and its saddle brown, because patina on taupe just looks dirty as hell
I think all leather cases prior to the 11 pro/max age much better than the current lineup. One of my saddle brown cases for my 11 pro looked dirty and nasty too after it started to develop it’s patina. My current saddle brown case looks a little better since I artificially aged it. @bobsamm shows a perfect example of how real leather ages with the folio case from nomad.

Reactions: aylk

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
For me I think you may have spoiled the case.

Well it got rid of the baby poo colour and wasn’t like a bar of soap anymore, felt much better to hold, not greasy and no smell.
I returned them to Apple I had 2, not a brown fan anyway.

Reactions: nrvous1

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Well it got rid of the baby poo colour and wasn’t like a bar of soap anymore, felt much better to hold, not greasy and no smell.
I returned them to Apple I had 2, not a brown fan anyway.

So you returned It after you had changed It? I am surprised they accepted the return.

Reactions: bobsamm

Κίριν ?

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
XS Saddle Brown 2 months, I'm really disliking how many different colors are happening at once on the case right now. I really liked the out-of-the-box look and I wish it would've stayed that way but I knew it would inevitably turn poop brown but I kinda wished it would be more uniform.

Would you recommend I try to make the rest of the case match the sides at least (purposely using oils on it) or should I just wait it out? I ended up picking a silicon case and using that because of how much I dislike this at it's current stage.

Attachments

• IMG_0467[1].JPG
    IMG_0467[1].JPG
    348 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0466[1].JPG
    IMG_0466[1].JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 243

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
XS Saddle Brown 2 months, I'm really disliking how many different colors are happening at once on the case right now. I really liked the out-of-the-box look and I wish it would've stayed that way but I knew it would inevitably turn poop brown but I kinda wished it would be more uniform.

Would you recommend I try to make the rest of the case match the sides at least (purposely using oils on it) or should I just wait it out? I ended up picking a silicon case and using that because of how much I dislike this at it's current stage.

yeah get the macadamia oil onto it, nothing to lose.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
My patina friends this is not a pic for heart attackers ...

I used my detailing car products to regenerate my leather cover ...

727d1d086aa60bbf9c11f2f9eb203c96.jpg

See the differences

Lol, I did this with two previous Apple leather cases and it lowkey ruined them. The feel was never the same after and part of the case would be matte and the other shiny where my fingers would rest when using the phone. The color slightly shifted too into a more of a green/blue hue. This was using leather conditioner stuff too.

From now on I'm just going to use it until I get a new phone without cleaning the case with anything. I wanna see what it looks like with a natural patina.
[automerge]1581365552[/automerge]
Be careful with food and nut oils. They can go rancid. Best to stick with leather conditioners.

This lol. Once I used coconut oil and after a few weeks, the case started smelling kind of weird and not pleasant.

Last edited:
  • Haha

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
From now on I'm just going to use it until I get a new phone without cleaning the case with anything. I wanna see what it looks like with a natural patina.
That’s what I’m trying to do now with my red leather case. I’ve already sanded it down though when I first purchased it several weeks back and never used it. It just got lighter in color and it’s still super slippery so maybe I didn’t ruin it much.

Reactions: bobsamm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.