Apple Lets Several YouTubers Get Closer Look at iPhone X Ahead of Friday's Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In addition to journalist Steven Levy's first impressions of the iPhone X, Apple recently invited a number of YouTube channels to try out the highly-anticipated device at a nondescript building in New York City.

[​IMG]

Brian Farmer and Noah Thomas of lifestyle website Highsnobiety shared a five-minute video in which they demo Animoji, 4K video playback at 60 FPS, Face ID, front-facing Portrait Mode, wireless charging, and other features.

YouTube personality Mark Watson, known as Soldier Knows Best, praised the iPhone X's design and performance. He said the new swipe-up gestures for unlocking the device and multitasking will take some time to get used to.

BooredAtWork.com's executive editor Enobong Etteh said the iPhone X is one of the best looking iPhones ever. His video provides a side-by-side comparison of the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X, along with hands-on time with Face ID and Animoji.

Sam Beckerman went to New York on behalf of Canada's FASHION Magazine for an exclusive hands-on look at the new iPhone X. The video recaps her 10 favorite features of the device, such as Face ID, Animoji, and ARKit.

Beyond the event in New York, a few other videos of the iPhone X have surfaced on YouTube today. We've embedded videos from French channel TheiCollection, Popular Science, and The Ellen DeGeneres Show below.

iPhone X pre-orders began on Friday, with shipping estimates now at five to six weeks for orders placed today. The device launches November 3, with limited in-store availability for walk-in customers on a first come, first served basis.

Article Link: Apple Lets Several YouTubers Get Closer Look at iPhone X Ahead of Friday's Launch

2. nighthawk67 macrumors regular

nighthawk67

3. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

Desperation.

Phone isn't selling as expected.

People are nervous at HQ.

4. Geert76 macrumors 65816

5. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

New Marketing approach?

must have phones in stock to gear up for Christmas.

6. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

A new marketing this year? looks like its sales are not really "off the charts"

7. matty.p macrumors 6502

Smart marketing, these few Youtubers will get more views than the top few publications will. I think the opinions of these may carry greater weight than those of The Verge or Engadget these days also.

8. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

sales might still be off the charts, but they need to let people know that they can get the phones. Most of the rumors have been some will have to wait until the new year because supply is so low.

9. macguru212 macrumors regular

macguru212

Good luck to you rev one buyers! I will wait for rev two, maybe. Not sure yet, but good luck :)

10. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

But still fired the engineer who's daughter posted the X video.

11. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

You would think EverythingApplePro would be there

12. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Yup. I agree completely. Get ready to be attacked. :apple:

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

YouTube Stars, yay.

Would be neat if they pulled in some of the earliest iPhone customers, and did videos with them. . Granted the reviews would be equally bias, but it would feel more real.

Looking forward to critical reviews from respectable tech journalists who are platform independent and not in the pockets fo either Google or Apple. Hard to find them these days, but I like hearing from people who don’t always inflate Apple.

14. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502

Scottsoapbox

These seem identical to the announcement day hands on.

Where are the real reviews - or more importantly - my own launch day hands on?

15. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I've never heard of these YouTubers. My tech subscriptions that would review this include MKBHD and Barnacules, if he even gets one. I think Techmoan said he's on a 6 and may upgrade. I was also subscribed to Chris Pirillo, but I've been following him recently.

Am I missing out? Should I subscribe to these folks?

16. msew macrumors newbie

No idea who any of these people are or why I should care about what they say

17. MarkB786 macrumors 6502

Ok, so what's so exciting here? Looks and acts pretty much like the other eight iPhones I have owned.

18. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

I believe there is a tie in with these people and first reviews of the original iPhone. Kind of a Retro Bonus thing. :apple:

19. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Too many hacks and bypass videos on eap for Apple to give him an review unit imo.

20. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

They're doing a great job of building the excitement for the launch.

21. Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

The New Snobs - raised to brainwash lukewarm customers

22. MarkB786 macrumors 6502

I suspect this could be the case. If Apple does not release sales numbers after the launch and Cook just says demand is "off the charts", we'll know there is a problem.

23. Shexo macrumors member

Apple should give a handset to MKBHD for a review, not quite sure about the cringworthy top ten video.

24. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

It's hard to believe you can't understand the difference.

The unauthorized video by the engineer with a non-disclosure contract's daughter showed internal Apple QR codes and meeting schedules and even if it didn't, it was a week ahead of Apple's strategic promotional schedule which is planned with military precision.

Do you really treat ethics so cavelierly in your own career?

25. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Oh my god!!! The true depth sensors actually blink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why, I don't like that.....