Apple Likely to Drop Adobe Flash Support in Next Version of Safari

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Flash still works on my HTC Incredible cell phone. Yeah, I have to keep it on a block of ice so the SoC doesn't come off the PCB. Small price for such a great technology.

• Haha
Reactions: makr and decafjava

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is basically what I do. There's a couple random sites I need to login for kids registration of some sort and incredibly, somehow the login process and everything is all flash based. Terrible.
Most of the TV catchup services in the UK still use flash, in fact Virgin's one still uses Silverlight. So hopefully this will force them all to fully switch to HTML5.
HTML5 support for video streams has replaced Flash video, but makes it more difficult for content creators to manage their content and inject interactive ads. This is part of why it's taken so long for Flash to die — no easy replacement.

The evolution and adoption of HTML5 and tech like SVG has laid the groundwork to replace Flash, but it took the industry time to make the switch. There were established Flash production tools, but not the same for these newer-age tools.

Reactions: fairuz

killhippie

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I never installed Flash for a few years now and since Firefox does not come with flash pre installed Ive never noticed a site I use needing it. Chrome has its own version of Flash pre installed which is yet another reason I wont use it.

Reactions: JosephAW

JosephAW

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2012
Remember there was an app on iOS that played flash? I think it was called Parrot?

brinary001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
And yet there are STILL an alarming number of sites out there written in Flash, including internal training sites hosted by my employer... We're a huge company too with 250,000+ employees

Like come on guys, you've had a decade now. No excuses.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2009
I have flash installed on my computer, but it's used so infrequently that I can just use Chrome if I ever run into a site that still uses it.

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Ironic how Adobe's initial reaction to Thoughts on Flash was "shock, denial, and anger."
Indeed, I remember it as being a lot of “how dare you!”, and arguing that the whole world wanted Flash and Apple was bad and wrong for not doing their part, along with vague threats of what Adobe could maybe do to force Apple to comply.

I’m glad it turned out the way it did. The only thing I ever miss from Flash is HomeStar Runner and StrongBad’s Email.

(In its heyday, some enterprising group - I suspect it was a lot of smaller consultants rather than one big company - ran around to a ton of restaurants and sold them overproduced, needlessly glitzy Flash websites... and then the restaurants discovered that smartphones were becoming a big thing, and none of their out-and-about customers on smartphones could view their menus or check their hours or address; I suspect they lost business over this. I dont miss the naive “you need to update your version of Flash, here’s a helpful link“ messages on those kinds of websites).

Last edited:

jonblatho

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
And yet there are STILL an alarming number of sites out there written in Flash, including internal training sites hosted by my employer... We're a huge company too with 250,000+ employees

Why update the site when you can rake in cash as long as possible for the same old content?

🤑

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
I don’t remember the last time I even used Flash. Thanks to the late Steve Jobs for eliminating the worthless crap ware.
Worthless to YOU. But it's good to know you speak for the entire population, you saved us all needless effort.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
I think Comcast streaming still uses Flash. Anyway I get pop-ups about Flash when I stream.
That's funny. A backward, out of date company uses backward out of date software. Had a "cable box" fro Comcast at our condo - 1990's technology all the way. Streaming sucked, low quality, always on, always hot. Imagine a company with something like 6tb/sec into your home, can't make better services and more money than internet at teeny tiny fractions of the speed into your home.
- - Post merged: - -

Writing is on the wall dude. Your company is not keeping up, time to seek better options elsewhere

Reactions: Botts85

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
*cries in NewGrounds.com*
You aren't kidding. There's a ton of historical content that drove the internet to where it is today that will be lost if this occurs.

Some of it is nostalgia for me, but the historian in me feel like this is a bit of an unintentional book burning. Or perhaps, more akin to society losing a language?

We will still have the content, but it will be nigh unreadable for content that required server side support.

I have a multi-GB archive of flash content that doesn't need server side support that lives on an old Windows VM, but that's only a shadow of the flash content whose decedents are quite a bit of contemporary pop culture, and modern UI/UX design.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
What's all the fuss? All Adobe had to do is make their product modern, efficient and secure. Enough said

Reactions: ingik

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
To all of you saying good riddance: did you never play Flash games? Many of them were (and still are) some very well made games. And they were all completely free, and made by normal people and not money-hungry gaming studios. I no longer play games but some of my best gaming memories as a kid are of Flash games. I'm sure that some scientist can show you how inefficient they were, but if they ran fine on my Pentium 3 machine 15 years ago with a file size of a few MB, then they weren't that inefficient.

It's not like there are many games on Macs but at least there was that. Now there's... a monthly subscription. And with 32 bit support gone, Steam is also pretty much dead for Mac users. So yeah, I guess we can safely say that gaming on Mac is now more dead than ever?

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
To all of you saying good riddance: did you never play Flash games? Many of them were (and still are) some very well made games. And they were all completely free, and made by normal people and not money-hungry gaming studios. It's not like there are many games on Macs but at least there was that. Now there's... a monthly subscription. And with 32 bit support gone, Steam is also pretty much dead for Mac users. So yeah, I guess we can safely say that gaming on Mac is now more dead than ever?
Except there are games! Hate it when a good snark dies on the vine. Besides, Windows is for game players, silly rabbit

luvbug

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Here's a site that has been refusing for years to dump flash: https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2383/2

I can't imagine how many visitors to their site, like me, kissed them off years ago for being such idiots - putting everyone at risk just because they were/are incompetent and can't implement modern, safe tech.

Adobe has always struck me as one of those rare companies that succeeds in spite of themselves; they established a foothold in content creation early on, and just milk it for all it's worth, in spite of their products being mediocre at best and overpriced to the max. JMHO.

Reactions: Peadogie

FaustsHausUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
To all of you saying good riddance: did you never play Flash games? Many of them were (and still are) some very well made games. And they were all completely free, and made by normal people and not money-hungry gaming studios. I no longer play games but some of my best gaming memories as a kid are of Flash games. I'm sure that some scientist can show you how inefficient they were, but if they ran fine on my Pentium 3 machine 15 years ago with a file size of a few MB, then they weren't that inefficient.

It's not like there are many games on Macs but at least there was that. Now there's... a monthly subscription. And with 32 bit support gone, Steam is also pretty much dead for Mac users. So yeah, I guess we can safely say that gaming on Mac is now more dead than ever?
I wouldn't go as far as saying "many," but yes, there were a lot of fantastic games made with Flash. Did enough people play them that the entire web platform's security should be sacrificed for it? 100% nope.

The good news is: a) we have new technologies that can replace Flash for creating games on the web: Canvas API, WebAssembly, WebGL, the myriad improvements to CSS and ECMAScript, Unity Web Player, and the like; b) we have many other ways to play independently-produced games - basically every platform has a native app store now, the formerly more-closed big gaming platforms have embraced indies, and tools like Unity and Unreal Engine are cheaper than a Flash Professional license ever was.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

I did for sure play games but...

Good riddance

killhippie

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I remember when Flash and shockwave and realplayer, and finally Silverlight were all needed on my first Windows box. Realplayer was like a virus and got worse over time as it got more and more bloated, then again quicktime could be sneaky back then, realplayer and quicktime seemed to fight to the death to what controled raudio and video, then Flash and Shockwave ran head long into the mess followed by Silverlight and then they crashed. Ah happy days...