Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I’m sure it is because of pixel density. Those iPhones that wont get the feature have less PPI?

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
Kinda stupid in my opinion I have a 12 mini and I don’t see why they can’t put it on that phone🤨
Exactly. Even in the current iOS 15 it IS visible in my daughters 2016 iPhone SE, while it NOT an option on my iPhone 12 mini, which has a much bigger display than the SE. So it's certainly not an issue with size of the screen.

The battery percentage was always in the status bar of iPhones way back to the very first one. Why they took it away as an option is completely bizarre to me.

Kaikidan

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
Switched from the 12 mini to the SE2 now have an SE3. Didn't realise how much I missed the touchID and won't go back to FaceID as long as there is a touchID phone available. Of course, both the SE2 and SE3 never had the battery percentage removed, I'm totally amazed how Apple boxes itself into corners with these silly notch designs. Now they've brought this nonsense to their laptops and everyone is trying to explain why it doesn't really bother them that much and nobody is actually saying they like it.

Apple, please! Notch is terrible UI design!!!!!
FaceID is great... when you're not in a pandemic and has to use facemasks with glasses that fog all the time, and when apple takes almost two years to implement a meassure to allow use of FaceID with mask that still only works 1/4 of the time. Yeah.... I miss touchID too, sad thing is that they have the tech to make it integrated to the side button like on the ipad air, but choose not to include it alongside FaceID on the iphones. not even the pros.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
It’s a combo of scree size and pixel density. The XR has lower resolution and therefore lower pixel density. The mini has too small of a screen.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
This could definitely be supported on the 13 mini if it’s supported on the X, because they both have the same software resolution as can be seen when you take a screenshot.
Mini’s screen size is so small though. Not gonna lie, on my 13 Pro, it’s pretty small….

Reactions: compwiz1202

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Fun fact: the iPhone SE 2016 does support this feature, no matter the iOS version.
Yea but it doesn’t have a notch so has more room for status bar items. The % is outside the battery on that model so it can use larger text, bypassing the screen size or pixel density issue.

Reactions: AlexMac89

Vespi

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2021
Seems maybe it’s related to resolution. The number has to fit inside the battery symbol and thus be super tiny. Maybe Apple looked at it on the 720p-ish iPhone 11 and thought it looked too jaggy.
Also resolution is closer to 1080 than 720

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Fair, but pretty sure Apple’s own dev team needs to adhere to Apple’s iOS developer guidelines regarding usability and design.

Think you misread my post. The X and XS support it and they share the same software resolution as the 12 mini and 13 mini. The screen size difference between the 13 mini and a X is 8.5%.

Vespi

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2021
I got text small enough to fit in battery icon elsewhere on my phone without issues, this has nothing to to with ppi on xr/11, this is just a frick you moment for now from apple, but lets wait and see if the expand this to all notch models

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Wanted to switch it off as I find it distracting that the battery is now 'graphically' always full. But my whole battery settings menu is empty.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Not all iphones have the hw for that kind of experience ? Just nagging mwhahahaha
Apple "We worked really hard to bring back the battery percentage on iphones, unfortunately for it to work the apple way it is limited to those devices with an M1 chip due to power usage" 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: russell_314

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Lmao just why doesn’t even make sense 🤣🤣🤣
This is a beta, you know, with at least four versions to go. They may not be done yet. The different screens probably require a different algorithm to display the text and they may not have gotten around to it yet. It's so minor a feature that Apple didn't bother to even mention it and it just showed up. More of it might show up next week for all we know. It definitely isn't to force anyone to upgrade because there's not a single person on this planet who would upgrade a phone just to get a battery percentage.

There are two alternatives. They're not done implementing it on all phones yet or they think the text looks too small and/or blurry to put on certain phones. We'll find out which one it is by September.

mielie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2020
FaceID is great... when you're not in a pandemic and has to use facemasks with glasses that fog all the time, and when apple takes almost two years to implement a meassure to allow use of FaceID with mask that still only works 1/4 of the time. Yeah.... I miss touchID too, sad thing is that they have the tech to make it integrated to the side button like on the ipad air, but choose not to include it alongside FaceID on the iphones. not even the pros.

FaceID definitely has its uses and the ideal phone would incorporate FaceID and TouchID, maybe requiring a combination of both for high value transactions through Apple Pay. For me though, if I can only have one I'll take TouchID.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

While it's not entirely clear why Apple has chosen to limit the availability of this feature, it may be due to space constraints on the smaller displays.

Oh we know the reason:

ca0f527c-3b49-47a0-bb80-2d37454c0003

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have an iPhone 11.

I like the fact Apple has decided my battery is just so awesome that knowing how much I have left isn't necessary.

(A quick little swipe from the top-right still shows it of course.)

Reactions: Vespi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.