Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Before WWDC, rumors largely driven by leaker Jon Prosser suggested that Apple would announce redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros during the conference. Those rumors, however, did not come to fruition. Interestingly, though, Apple lists "m1x MacBook Pro" as a tag for the WWDC keynote uploaded on YouTube.

m1x-mbp-tags-feature.jpg

The tag, first spotted by Apple YouTuber Max Balzer on Twitter, is among other tags Apple has added to the video, including iOS 15, M1X, iOS, developers conference, and more. Apple released the M1 Apple silicon chip in November, and speculation has suggested that the next chip, expected in the redesigned MacBook Pros, would be called "m1x."

The inclusion of the tag, while not totally indicative, may suggest that Apple does plan to call the upcoming chip "m1x," or, more likely, is simply using the rumor mill as a way to bump up the WWDC keynote in YouTube search results. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has stated that the new MacBook Pros could debut as soon as early this summer.

Article Link: Apple Lists 'M1X MacBook Pro' in YouTube Tags for WWDC Keynote Video

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I wondered how much of that "filler" was to close a gap? Then again, it didn't have to meet a time deadline like a TV show. So they could have made it shorter with the hole from scrapping an M1X MBP announcement. I feel like these things are well scripted & they don't have a bunch of stuff they leave on the cutting room floor, so to speak.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
As much as I’d like to say this is a smoking gun that the MBPs were delayed (it could be), it is also equally likely that this was just a low-level social media person taking initiative to improve SEO

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
This is off subject but I really hope Apple doesn’t name all of their processors the same way they do with iPhones, m1, m2, m3 etc. I’m sure a lot of people won’t care but at least with Intel they stuck with i5, i7, i9 etc for years even though they were updated and had other names.

It’s not a big deal but I feel like people will begin to assume their MacBooks are “too old” once m2, m3 etc come out and in a sense always feel out of date, where it wasn’t exactly so obvious with intel, maybe it’s just me though.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
This is off subject but I really hope Apple doesn’t name all of their processors the same way they do with iPhones, m1, m2, m3 etc. I’m sure a lot of people won’t care but at least with Intel they stuck with i5, i7, i9 etc.

It’s not a big deal but I feel like people will begin to assume their MacBooks are “too old” once m2, m3 etc come out and in a sense always fee out of date, where it wasn’t exactly so obvious with intel, maybe it’s just me though.
For the last few years (at least), Intel have added "10th gen", "9th gen", etc, to their stickers.

idmean

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2015
This is off subject but I really hope Apple doesn’t name all of their processors the same way they do with iPhones, m1, m2, m3 etc. I’m sure a lot of people won’t care but at least with Intel they stuck with i5, i7, i9 etc for years even though they were updated and had other names.

It’s not a big deal but I feel like people will begin to assume their MacBooks are “too old” once m2, m3 etc come out and in a sense always feel out of date, where it wasn’t exactly so obvious with intel, maybe it’s just me though.
To summarize: You hope Apple won't market their products in a way that makes people feel their current devices are outdated. Doesn't seem very likely.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I wondered how much of that "filler" was to close a gap? Then again, it didn't have to meet a time deadline like a TV show. So they could have made it shorter with the hole from scrapping an M1X MBP announcement. I feel like these things are well scripted & they don't have a bunch of stuff they leave on the cutting room floor, so to speak.
The keynote was pre-recorded... but still, it was full of a lot of filler.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
The tags are meant to reach out to users looking at related videos. Youtube has been FULL of rumours that an m1x macbook was coming at WWDC. Someone at Apple's social media team is good at their job and used the tag to get more eyes on the video
Awfully specific for this hypothesis. By that logic, why didn't they also add "apple-car", "ar-glasses" and "kitchen-sink"?

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
For the last few years (at least), Intel have added "10th gen", "9th gen", etc, to their stickers.
Yea I know, but it was still i3, i5 and that at least “seemed” the same if that makes sense. Everyone knows their computer and devices are out of date every year, but with their processors always being called i# it didn’t seem like it was happening so fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.