Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is in early discussions with record labels about bundling Apple Music and Apple TV+ as part of a "super-bundle of media content" for one flat monthly rate, according to a report from the Financial Times.

apple-tv-plus-and-apple-music.jpg

While some record labels are said to be open to the idea, the report claims at least one big label has voiced concerns, adding that the industry is growing more wary about its relationship with Apple. In particular, the report claims record labels are worried that the bundle would lead to lost revenue.

The report adds that the two sides have not yet discussed a pricing formula, so it is unclear what Apple would charge for its Apple Music and Apple TV+ bundle. It is also unclear if the bundle would extend to Apple's other subscription-based offerings like Apple News+, Apple Arcade, AppleCare+, and iCloud storage.

Apple Music costs $9.99 per month for individuals in the United States, with a $4.99 tier for students. Apple TV+ will cost $4.99 per month, with a free one-year subscription available to customers who purchase any iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, or Mac as of September 10 and later.

The total cost of Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple News+, and Apple Arcade rounds to $30 per month, so the bundle would presumably undercut that amount to incentivize customers to subscribe to all of the services.

Apple TV+ launches November 1.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Bundle Services Like Apple Music and Apple TV+ for One Flat Monthly Rate

Last edited:
Reactions: 15ngcs1

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Currently getting Apple Music through Verizon plans.
Wonder if they’ll throw in TV+.
probably not

Reactions: SigEp265

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In cases like this, I'm split. Apple TV+ is so cheap for what you get. I don't think a bundle even brings much value. To save $2.00 a month over subscribing to the services separately?

And the music industry would not lose revenue. They would likely benefit from this because now consumers don't choose between the two services. By making them pay separately, some may cancel Apple Music in favour of TV+. That would be lost revenue.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
I guess I am not a target customer? I am not subscribed to any of these services. iCloud is expensive and clunky, probably the poorest cloud service out there feature-wise.

I have my music on my iPod and I don't find the need to pay monthly to listen to my music, if a song I like comes out, I will get it and put it in my list... it is that simple.

And Apple TV+... The only reason I will have it is because it came free with my purchase.

Apple News, who that?

Edit: I DO have a cloud service... it just happen to be a better option than iCloud.

Last edited:

willsh

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2019
I recall there was a 'would love..' article somewhere ages ago for a combined 'upgrade programme' for Apple's hardware - iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, maybe a MacBook, Apple TV etc so that they could take much greater control of the 'refurbished' and second hand market for their hardware. If such a Services bundle comes about and is successful, it'd be great if they looked at an all-hardware upgrade programme.

Mutepointer

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2018
If Apple charges combined £3.99 per month, I shall go for it. Othejrse, they should have adverts and make the subscription free, just like YouTube and YouTube music.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
They should bundle apple music, apple tv+. iCloud storage, and applecare+. That would be a winning bundle if they could price it aggressively enough.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
There is no discount Apple can realistically offer that would replace the convenience and savings of choosing which services to use and and when.

Reactions: staggerlee41

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Ah, the subscription frenzy grows! Bigger and bigger bundles for more things and more money.
I saw this too!

Bundles are evil. They try to hook you and reel you in with “promotions”, but in 6 months or whenever, they start jacking up the price. They THINK their content is so wonderful and awe-inspiring that it’ll get you addicted, and that works for a while until you realize that you’re paying $150 a month for their commercials and their lame idealogy.

Keep your liberty. RESIST all subscriptions, especially “The Bundle”.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I recall there was a 'would love..' article somewhere ages ago for a combined 'upgrade programme' for Apple's hardware - iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, maybe a MacBook, Apple TV etc so that they could take much greater control of the 'refurbished' and second hand market for their hardware. If such a Services bundle comes about and is successful, it'd be great if they looked at an all-hardware upgrade programme.

Just sell all your hardware to a pawn shop every year and buy all new stuff. It would work out about the same cost.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Sorry Apple. I only reluctantly have a 99 cent iCloud sub. Apple
Music comes with Verizon but hardly use it. No interest in a bundle.

However I think they have to bundle with AppleCare if they want this to work. Or an AppleCare Ultimate or something membership. Extend return period. Bump the Applecard rewards. Throw in the services. Etc.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
If Apple charges combined £3.99 per month, I shall go for it. Othejrse, they should have adverts and make the subscription free, just like YouTube and YouTube music.

I honestly can’t ever see Apple doing that and I’m happy about that. Most of the way they do things is the opposite of Google.

Reactions: JBaby and 15ngcs1

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Everytime you buy a new phone you get one year of Apple TV+ for free? So I bought one so I get 1 year free now right? Then, If I buy one next year will I get another year free?

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
This actually seems interesting to me because I have all of these services and it gets a bit hectic keeping track of what gets charged and when. I, and probably many others, would totally be open to just having a bundle for one price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.