Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As its hunt for original television and film content heats up, Apple is now reportedly looking to land film distribution rights to the James Bond film franchise (via The Hollywood Reporter). Warner Bros. is said to be the front contender, but Apple and fellow tech company Amazon are both in "hot pursuit" of the spy series.

Sony's distribution rights for James Bond films ended with the release of the latest entry, 2015's Spectre, leading to multiple studios and companies vying for the rights. Sources close to the deal said that Apple and Amazon are willing to spend "in the same ballpark" as Warner Bros, "if not much more," in order to beef up their respective streaming businesses. Besides these companies, Universal and Fox are also pursuing the rights to the franchise.

daniel-craig-bond-image.jpg
Daniel Craig as James Bond via 007.com

The deal is said to include the streaming rights to the entire James Bond film back catalogue, and potentially even "the future of the franchise." In recent James Bond news, Daniel Craig confirmed he'll be back to play the titular character in future movies.
But the emergence of Apple -- which is considered such a viable competitor that Warners is now pressing MGM hard to close a deal -- and Amazon shows that the digital giants consider Bond one of the last untapped brands (like a Marvel, Pixar or Lucasfilm) that could act as a game-changer in the content space. Apple's and Amazon's inclusion in the chase would indicate that more is on the table than film rights, including the future of the franchise if MGM will sell or license out for the right price.
Newly hired Apple executives Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht are said to be spearheading the effort to acquire the James Bond franchise on Apple's behalf. Those close to the deal estimate that the property could be worth somewhere between $2 billion and $5 billion.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Purchase 'James Bond' Film Distribution Rights

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Is Daniel Craig going to stop or not-stop being Bond? Every time I read how he hated it, an article popped up about him accepting the next movie.

Reactions: 5105973

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Should have went for Mission Impossible instead. Seeing them go to use Surface Pros as there only computers in Rogue Nation put me consistently on the edge of my seat waiting for them to rage quit and throw it like the NFL players did or have updates 1 of 300 installed haha

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Sep 6th 2017: Apple buys rights for James Bond franchise
Sep 6th 2027: Apple discontinues James Bond franchise after 10 years since acquiring rights
The franchise does need something new. It is hilarious when the parody (Kingsmen) is more enjoyable than the original franchise.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I suppose the only reason for Apple to do this is so Amazon doesn't get it. I love James Bond but the franchise is dead. The new stuff is an embarrassment.

It puzzles me though why Apple would bid on this and did not on NFL streaming rights. Live sports is the only growth area in TV right now.

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Is Daniel Craig going to stop or not-stop being Bond? Every time I read how he hated it, an article popped up about him accepting the next movie.
Apparently he's definitely in for at least one more in 2019, and potentially another after that. But it's hard to not think about all that negative cloud of him wanting to leave after Spectre, yeah.

Reactions: 5105973

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
The franchise does need something new. It is hilarious when the parody (Kingsmen) is more enjoyable than the original franchise.

I wouldn't call Kingsmen a parody at all. It was clearly written to stand on its own. However, I would call The Brothers Grimsby somewhat of a parody of Kingsmen.

Austin Powers, now that was a parody of Bond films.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

He has announced that he will be in the next Bond film, and that he's looking forward to it. So that's a done deal. His prior comments were made in response to an annoying question about the next film right after the previous one wrapped. He has since clarified that he was physically and emotionally exhausted at the time and that those comments didn't reflect on his prior experience with the films.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
In a way I hope Apple doesn't get it or become successful with video streaming. The future looks very bleak (and expensive) for the consumer of this kind of stuff. All these competing streaming services, all requiring a monthly subscription. There comes a point (from the consumer's point of view) that enough is enough. No more subscriptions.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
In a way I hope Apple doesn't get it or become successful with video streaming. The future looks very bleak (and expensive) for the consumer of this kind of stuff. All these competing streaming services, all requiring a monthly subscription. There comes a point (from the consumer's point of view) that enough is enough. No more subscriptions.
I doubt Apple would drop pay-for-purchase model. I mean look at music, despite people bashing Apple constantly about not being spotify, Apple kept their ground.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012

He explains how all that "slash my wrists" thing came to be so badly misinterpreted, he also states that this is his last Bond :(

I don't see Bond using an Apple Watch though.

PG(Austin)

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2004
Austin, TX
Someone needs to! No one has all of them in one place.
[doublepost=1504710755][/doublepost]
Sep 6th 2017: Apple buys rights for James Bond franchise
Sep 6th 2027: Apple discontinues James Bond franchise after 10 years since acquiring rights

They are only buying the distribution rights, not the rights to own it or by your point, kill it.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

latts

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
"In recent James Bond news, Daniel Craig confirmed he'll be back to play the titular character in future movies."

He confirmed he'll do one more and that's it.

Then again, as with Sean Connery, Never say Never again :cool:

Reactions: AfridiGerrard786

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
If they do buy the franchise rights to James Bond will they make it an iTunes streaming exclusive? I'm already angry that the new Star Trek series will only be available on a subscription service (CBS All Access)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.