Apple lost its mojo with iOS lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by stefan1975, Jul 3, 2011.

1. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

[rant]

So took the plunge and upgraded to lion GM. I cannot believe how much of a disappointment it is. Oh it runs great, fast and stable but it feels like what they did to fcpx as well, dumbed it down for prosumers and forget about powerusers.

I don't want iOS on my 15" hr ag mbp but osx. Sure there are a lot of new bling bling new features like they put into safari before. Sure it animates in nifty ways but what good are those mission control and that app launcher thingy, heck this is not my ipad why do i need ios folders.

I want spaces not that compiz ripoff mission control or those sliding desktops. I dont't have a mbp touch screen so why invert scrolling when the mouse cursos behaves the other way around.

It feels like this is not a new OS at all but merely some trinkets for the masses slapped on SL, it sure is .... Dare i say it .... Less of an improvement windows7 was for m$

They should have bothered with the important stuff and nit just the gui. Trim without hacking, memory management, speed up loading times, bring safari in 2011, allow windows aligning and other such ui improvements like kde and aero saw but they just put in more useless gesture stuff unstead.

[/rant]

But i'll probably upgrade anyway, just frustrated that apple seems the new m$ just focusing on where the money is, the masses.

2. Unpleasant macrumors member

yeah. I don't like Lion either, Snow Leopard was great. I think apple is way to focus on iOS right now. Which sucks cause i think if apple keep on moving forward with OSX it could be great.

3. johneaston macrumors regular

FCPX, iWeb, iPhone 4, web hosting, no iWork update for nearly three years etc have all made me really lose interest in Apple (so much so I've recently bought some new Microsoft software and am actually beginning to seriously consider looking at PCs for the first time in eight years).

But I'm actually quite excited about Lion. From what I've read, it sounds like a proper update rather than Snow Leopard.

4. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

iOS Lion? What's that then? :confused:

OS X Lion exists. iOS Lion is a figment of your imagination.

5. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Listen, different strokes for different folks.

I am absolutely LOVIN' LION!

If you have a MagicTrackpad -- twice the fun.

I really love the animations and enhancements.

And being able to group my programs into folders
    just like I do on iOS, is really cool as well. I do like
    the fact that Lion brings the two operating systems
    into alignment.

I respect the opinions of those that don't like the
    new look and feel, but I don't want this to be a
    thread that totally turns off those looking to upgrade
    because, really, there is a lot of neat stuff here for
    the $30 price tag.

6. johneaston macrumors regular

I think he's being sarcastic suggesting Lion is based too heavily on iOS.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

People said the same about the Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade.

8. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

I have been reading all bunch of different posts on all bunch of different forums about the first impressions of Mac OS X Lion (or as you called it iOS Lion... I was about to correct you but I figured out what you were saying :) )

Not sure what to tell you. I will of course have to try it, but I am afraid that I might not like it as all of the critiques relate to things I actually use and like on Snow Leopard.

Is it possible that Lion might become M'soft's Windows Vista? Remains to be seen.

9. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You do know [sarcasm] right? I know it is supposed to be OSX, i was just calling it iOS lion on purpose because i consider it dumbed down to the iOS level, heck not worthy of a big cat name imho.

10. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I do agree, but luckily most of this things can be turned off or ignored

I am waiting for some more real life reviews of it first to see how it performs, my MacBook is the bottom of end of what it will run on (Core 2 Duo, 2007), and have read about higher ram usage so might have problems (mainly Lightroom uses 1gb more ram than on SL)

I know people dont like to hear this, but if it was on DVD also, I would order and try it as soon as I can, the hassle of download only makes me want to wait and see

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Looks like Lion is like marmite. You love it or you hate it.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So what exactly can you do in Snow Leopard that you can't do in Lion? Sure, some changes have been made but it's not like Apple took away the freedom that OS X gives, it's nowhere near as closed system as iOS.

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

... and I love Marmite.

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

"It's the most unhappy people who most fear change." - Mignon McLaughlin

15. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course there is a lot to like and €23 is an awesome price since m$ win7 costs 10 times that. And casual users will surely eat up lion. My parents would love that ik looks a lot like their ipad. But i want features beyond goofy animantions like decent memory management and trim support for my intel 320 ssd without hacking.

Just wondering if this isnt going to hurt them in the way fcpx caused an uproar for being imovie pro, like this is iOS pro.

16. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Lion seems to run a little slower on my Core 2 Duo and the mouse feels heavy at times. It looks a bit unpolished for a GM to me. When it first booted and I read the scroll thing, I had no idea it wanted me to scroll down to hit start macosx lion. I also don't like how it says Install Software in the prompts vs just Install. As far as the rest the preferences are all moved around and you can't set a hot corner to show all Applications. The mouse scrolling speed etc are in the Universal Access pane. When you delete something and the finder dir is open it doesn't auto vanish anymore.

17. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

As a matter fact i love change. When it is for the better. Dumbing down the os seems like what nintendo did with the wii, forget the loyal fans and create something shiny for the general population.

I install fedora every 6 months to see what is changed and what they broke this cycle around in improving *nix, just as long as change isnt taking away stuff giving me less control.

They want to turn osx into ios: a controlled environment where everything goes through apple and their mac app store. Heck i cant even deinstall the app store if i wanted to. And i tried! Nor can i remove apps from the purchased overview, even after i remove it from my mac.

18. acxz macrumors regular

They seem to have forgotten what works well and looks good. Why was the scrolling inverted when I'm using a mouse? What's with prettying up a lot of the UI elements and then putting a 'leather' (read: sandpaper) texture in iCal? Why is 'All My Files' the new default view in Finder? It just doesn't make sense.

This machine I'm on now has seen Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, and now Lion. Previously the updates have made sense and worked well. I don't think we'll be waiting long for 10.7.1.

19. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Can this be changed ?

If not can 'All My Files' be removed from the sidebar ?

20. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Yeah through preferences. What I want is to rearrange my devices to the top and favorites in the bottom, why did they move that?

21. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

cheers

be nice if the whole thing is customisable, I like devices at the top, then my stuff below and the search items under that

22. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

I run Windows 7 in Boot Camp and even since Vista I have found the OS experiences to be of pretty similar calibre, and being so familiar with both sides means less bother if it ever does come time to abandon, but I am hopeful for Lion ... and I'm hopeful that we see it next week :).

23. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

This sentence makes absolutely no sense.
    First of: you can reverse trackpad scrolling again so it is like it was in SL. But what does that have to do with the cursor?

24. hyperpiper45 macrumors regular

What exactly do you feel has been dumbed down?

I admit i don't like the new scrolling, but that can be changed easily.

Apart from that I am quite liking it. I am really loving the fullscreen safari browsing and have actually changed back for a bit from chrome now.

25. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know i can change it back, the default just makes no sense on a mbp. What i meant is that i have to swipe up to go down and then when usi g the mouse cursor to click a button i have to move down again to make it go down.

I just spend €2300 on a mbp, €123 on 8gb ram and €400 on a ssd and it is being turned into an ipad+