Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
I understand this argument about repairs in general, BUT this is just Stupid Authorize repair facilities exist.

If you cannot afford warranty repairs then you wait until you can. Otherwise sure go to the guy around the corner in the laundry mat strip mall.

Loose all your genuine parts that make iPhone. Screen, Speakers, Oh and wait maybe they replace memory too or take out your security enclave chip and insert there own skimmer to capture your data.. :eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then scream at Apple for loss & theft.... :mad::mad::mad:

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
It depends on the nature of the business representing the repair(s). If they're saying their authorized or offer repairs of Apple products and it does not distinguish they are not OEM parts that to me is a problem both for the OEM and a customer not knowing the type of service being performed.

If I'm an OEM I have the right to protect our products and ensure users have a good experience, wether thats going directly through us or approved vendors, I do not see the issue with this type of enforcement.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Both original and counterfeit parts sourced from the same Chinese factories! Many service centres in my place fix Apple products such as iPhone, iPad, MacBookPros at fraction of the cost. These scalpers go to China get their parts in a suitcase and come back to fix all products enroute via busy holiday destinations in between!!

Reactions: sd70mac

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
It depends on the nature of the business representing the repair(s). If they're saying their authorized or offer repairs of Apple products and it does not distinguish they are not OEM parts that to me is a problem both for the OEM and a customer not knowing the type of service being performed.

If I'm an OEM I have the right to protect our products and ensure users have a good experience, wether thats going directly through us or approved vendors, I do not see the issue with this type of enforcement.

I can get my car fixed wherever i want after warranty.

Hell I can even get my own damn body parts fixed where I choose to!

Why should this be any different.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
The court’s rationale:

"Huseby is largely dependent on being able to import screens with covered up Apple logos to be able to operate in the market as a non-authorized iPhone repair technician."

So, he depends on counterfeit parts to operate his business as a non-authorized repair guy.

Boo-hoo.

At least I know which shop never to go to in the unlikely event I happen to be in Norway with iPhone troubles.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Anyone who gets their device repaired unofficially is taking the risk of damaging their phone. That’s their choice. If they go to a shoddy guy to save a few bucks then that’s their fault.

Very true. Then they go to Apple to get it fixed and then it becomes Apple’s problem and they may or may not be able to fix it which can lead to a poor UX for the user.

I don’t blame Apple for wanting to shut them down.

Reactions: ZMacintosh

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.

This IS exactly the point.
If the manufacturer wants you to only use their parts then they should give them to you.
If they only want to use their technicians, it should be free.
If they aren't providing a free service then you should be able to buy repair parts and have whomever you want replace them.

Just like a car.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Glad that Apple lost and kudos for Norway for protecting the laws of a sovereign country.
I am not a fan of international companies being able to sue foreign companies/individuals directly. That is a very dangerous precedent as it implies international companies are above the laws of sovereign countries. That is why I dislike the WTO. They suddenly appeared, unelected, and accountable to nobody. They are a rogue organization whom all countries should ignore. Globalization is about centralization of power and control (e.g. Hunger Games world) and is to be avoided at all costs.

Apple should have contacted the Norwegian embassy here in the U.S. and filed a complaint requesting Norway deal with it.

Last edited:

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011

Yes but it would be illegal for AutoZone to sell a part with the Ford logo on it, if it wasn't made by ford. I have bought several iPhone screens from iFix it, and thats fine because they don't advertise it as Genuine Apple.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Norway is an outstanding country who will not let fat corps like the fruit oppress any consumer's right to choose whether to repair or not or where to repair, their purchased devices. While in America some admire the fruit's "work ethics", some other countries stand by their people.
How would you in Norway handle a badly repaired iPhone. The owner takes the badly repaired iPhone to Apple, they repair it but need to remove all the unofficial parts in order to make the repair certified. Would that be OK in your country?

Reactions: Brandhouse

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
This is why Apple requires all third-party recyclers to shred their prodcuts. Their claims about recycling are truly smoke and mirrors. Love the way they promote "Liam" as a way for Timmy and Co. to be able to effect the "Look at what we say, not what we do" PR offensive. This (the shredding) is the real Apple. Very glad this guy won. Hopefully the right-to-repair effort in the USA continues to gain momentum. Apple is not alone re: utilizing repairs as a means to augment top/bottom lines. Link:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/yp73jw/apple-recycling-iphones-macbooks

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
How would you in Norway handle a badly repaired iPhone. The owner takes the badly repaired iPhone to Apple, they repair it but need to remove all the unofficial parts in order to make the repair certified. Would that be OK in your country?

"Badly repaired".. interesting, is that a new concept Apple convinced you about? I wonder how the world managed to repair stuff before Apple.. maybe people used their brains.. who knows.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Talk about being overbearing.

Apple wants to control your wallet even after your buy the iPhone.

The replacement displays don't have Apple logos. No wonder Apple lost this lawsuit.

Enough with the scare tactics. Yes, we know if we choose to use "unofficial" or non-OEM parts, it could mean the devastation of planet Earth. Let us do that.

The replacement displays may not have the Apple logo, but the enclosure that display goes back into certainly does. Let's say someone replaced an internal component with some cheap copy and then sold the iPhone. The iPhone fails and the person thinks Apple's iPhones are poorly made and tells everyone on social media. Or, they take it to an Apple store where the cheap part is discovered and service is denied, again enraging the customer.

I'm fine with people doing with their property as they please, but if a repair shop is using counterfeit parts, then some type of permanent notice needs to placed on the outside of the iPhone or perhaps the Apple logo needs to be covered to signify the modification.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wow! How big is Henrik's shop? Should be pretty big to warrant Apple trying to take him out

No not really, Apple sued a small single coffee shop claiming its logo was too closely matched to the Apple logo!
Apple are just a tad paranoid and incredibly free and easy with this sue everybody mentality. I’m glad they lost, it is your choice not Apples where you get your phone fixed! And it seems they were recycling old phones too for this guys shop.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
Anyone who gets their device repaired unofficially is taking the risk of damaging their phone. That’s their choice. If they go to a shoddy guy to save a few bucks then that’s their fault.

So if my old iPhone with a broken screen, I want to use as an mp3 player and I need to fix a screen. You want to pay big buck for Apple or throw it away?
[doublepost=1523647248][/doublepost]
“100 percent compatible and completely identical”
You should base an argument on something that’s probably not true. (Such an argument is unsound). I doubt Apple is making a pile of cash in repairs. On the other hand, it damages their image an an Apple device fails, and nobody will be reporting that some ****** put bad parts inside of it in order to save himself money.

I changed my battery on my iPhone 6 for $24 (including tools) DIY. Apple is $75, I am pretty sure the repair guy working for Apple is not making $50 an hour.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The replacement displays may not have the Apple logo, but the enclosure that display goes back into certainly does. Let's say someone replaced an internal component with some cheap copy and then sold the iPhone. The iPhone fails and the person thinks Apple's iPhones are poorly made and tells everyone on social media. Or, they take it to an Apple store where the cheap part is discovered and service is denied, again enraging the customer.

I'm fine with people doing with their property as they please, but if a repair shop is using counterfeit parts, then some type of permanent notice needs to placed on the outside of the iPhone or perhaps the Apple logo needs to be covered to signify the modification.

How's this different from a jailbroken device? Or a water damaged device that slowly corrodes the logic board? In both cases, the owner of the phone will have a poor experience.

Apple can easily add a feature in iOS to show the user which hardware components have been replaced. Everything is serialized electronically. Instead, Apple is taking the legal route of suing repair shops.

It's pretty clear why Apple is doing this, and it's not to provide a better customer experience.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
How's this different from a jailbroken device? Or a water damaged device that slowly corrodes the logic board? In both cases, the owner of the phone will have a poor experience.

Apple can easily add a feature in iOS to show the user which hardware components have been replaced. Everything is serialized electronically. Instead, Apple is taking the legal route of suing repair shops.

It's pretty clear why Apple is doing this, and it's not to provide a better customer experience.

A jailbroken device can be restored -- no problem there. A water damaged device was presumably an accident and wouldn't be perceived as a quality issue once discovered in most cases.

Adding a feature in iOS to alert the user to counterfeit part replacement is a good idea -- if that is possible. Currently, people are buying used iPhones without any knowledge that they are getting counterfeit parts whose quality may vary.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.